Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: New install of kodibuntu (1st timer)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys and gals long time window user here and about to install kodibuntu onto my new gigabyte brix, i have already created bootable usb with the downloaded iso of kodibuntu from this web site and watched a few videos on you tube. i have a few questions.

1. Is it as simple as following the on screen instructions (like windows) for install ??
2. Do i need to install any drivers for my hardware after install & if so is there any guides on this Huh
3. Any other extra info i need before i go ahead on planned install on Thursday (once brix arrives)

Anyway any help would be greatly appreciated as just be using brix for HTPC to connect to my QNAP NAS. I have no experience in linux or unibuntu so please bear with me.

Thanks again, already i user of XBMX version 12.3 frodo on my nas but its not upgradeable so hence the reason on buying gigabyte.
1.) Nope. But you should update the system via: sudo apt-get update followed by sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
2.) I suggest using the wsnipex drivers: sudo apt-add-repository ppa:wsnipex/vaapi followed by sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
3.) Nope (not yet), depending on the brix model. If it is already HSW driven, then come back - we need to install a newer kernel.
Thanks for the reply so after install i need to type the following commands, the model i am getting is Gigabyte brix 2.4ghz intel celeron J1900 quad core, has come pre built with 8gb ram & 120gb SSD. Also what what do you mean HSW driven ?
Yes.

HSW <- Haswell. The Generation _after_ yours.