Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Nvidia Shield TV - Best Kodi Device?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Currently use an Acer Revo RL... something or other to cast Chromecast to. It's getting old, and winds me up with crashing and what have you, I think it's time to update it.

I'm on the verge of buying the Nvidia Shield TV box but I want some re-assurance I'm doing the right thing. I like the look of it, I like the fact it handles 4k like a boss, I like the fact you can play games on it I can't see many downsides.

Q1 - is this the best box for my purposes? or is there another 'cadillac box' just coming round the corner?
Q2 - if I get one and drop Kodi on it, will Kodi be added as an app on the home screen that has to be launched, or will the box just boot right into Kodi?
Q3 - is it overpriced for what it is, and I'm just as well buying a £30 android box from eBay?

thanks for the help people Nod
Have you searched the forum? There are countless threads in this subject and plenty of opinions and recommendations in them.

Have a browse of the hardware forum:

http://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112

No need to start yet another thread...
(2016-04-15, 18:13)Dangelus Wrote: [ -> ]Have you searched the forum? There are countless threads in this subject and plenty of opinions and recommendations in them.

I had a quick look down but there wasn't an immediately obvious thread title. I'll have a look in there
(2016-04-15, 18:14)philip697 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-04-15, 18:13)Dangelus Wrote: [ -> ]Have you searched the forum? There are countless threads in this subject and plenty of opinions and recommendations in them.

I had a quick look down but there wasn't an immediately obvious thread title. I'll have a look in there

I'm not trying to be harsh but people get fed up answering basic questions that answers already exist for Smile

This is a good thread to start with:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916
(2016-04-15, 18:19)Dangelus Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-04-15, 18:14)philip697 Wrote: [ -> ]

I'm not trying to be harsh but people get fed up answering basic questions that answers already exist for Smile

This is a good thread to start with:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916

Yeah course no worries, I probably should have looked further than the end of my own nose!
Ok, how about another question? Is the remote worth the extra £40 they charge you? It looks very basic. Is it actually decent, or better to get a 3rd party one?
(2016-04-15, 18:45)philip697 Wrote: [ -> ]Ok, how about another question? Is the remote worth the extra £40 they charge you? It looks very basic. Is it actually decent, or better to get a 3rd party one?

That question has already been answered! Kidding... Wink

Personally, I picked up a replacement Fire Stick (1st Gen) remote which is a lot cheaper and works great. Also bare in mind if your TV supports HDMI CEC you can use the TV's remote to control Kodi.
(2016-04-15, 18:49)Dangelus Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-04-15, 18:45)philip697 Wrote: [ -> ]Ok, how about another question? Is the remote worth the extra £40 they charge you? It looks very basic. Is it actually decent, or better to get a 3rd party one?

That question has already been answered! Kidding... Wink

Personally, I picked up a replacement Fire Stick (1st Gen) remote which is a lot cheaper and works great. Also bare in mind if your TV supports HDMI CEC you can use the TV's remote to control Kodi.

Woah really? that sounds pretty good. I imagine the TV could do as it's a fairly new all singing, all dancing LG Smart TV... I just can't recall the model number to check Big Grin I'll have a look when I get home later. It does actually have a 'LG magic remote' which seems to work on Wiimote technology. If that remote can control Kodi I would be super impressed!

Nvidia has included the Shield remote for free with a Shield purchase as a "limited time offer" multiple times in the past 5-6 months.
If you can wait, I don't doubt they will offer it again. The last time they offered it was just last month (March 20th I received an email from nvidia mentioning it).

It's a fantastic little remote for Kodi and I love mine! Sure beats using the controller when all I want to do is kick back and watch a movie or tv show.
The entire backing is made of metal too so it feels like high quality.
(2016-04-15, 19:01)Wheresthebeef Wrote: [ -> ]

Nvidia has included the Shield remote for free with a Shield purchase as a "limited time offer" multiple times in the past 5-6 months.
If you can wait, I don't doubt they will offer it again. The last time they offered it was just last month (March 20th I received an email from nvidia mentioning it).

It's a fantastic little remote for Kodi and I love mine! Sure beats using the controller when all I want to do is kick back and watch a movie or tv show.

It doesn't even seem to have a play/pause button is my worry? The lack of a keypad is another, unless the voice recog is proper top notch (you haven't heard my accent Rofl)
(2016-04-15, 19:08)philip697 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-04-15, 19:01)Wheresthebeef Wrote: [ -> ]

It doesn't even seem to have a play/pause button is my worry? The lack of a keypad is another, unless the voice recog is proper top notch (you haven't heard my accent Rofl)

The select button acts as a play/pause. Press once to bring up the on-screen display. Press again to pause video.
Not to mention in Kodi 16 and higher there's now the "long-press" function. You can press and hold the select button for a couple seconds and it will pause the video. Press and hold again and it will unpause.
Using this same function in the directory screen will open up the context menu.

The remote might have a limited number of buttons, but it's fully functional in Kodi.

As for the voice recognition, I don't believe Kodi has that feature yet. However the popular SPMC (Kodi fork) does and it works fantastic for doing searches with.
How do you find a TV show/movie/stream without a keypad or voice rec? Scroll from letter to letter using the up/down/left/right?
(2016-04-15, 19:39)philip697 Wrote: [ -> ]How do you find a TV show/movie/stream without a keypad or voice rec? Scroll from letter to letter using the up/down/left/right?

Be careful of what you are asking. Have you read the forum rules and piracy policy?

Kodi does not provide content and we don't provide support for 3rd party add-ons that violate our rules.

Whilst your question doesn't directly break any rules, asking about how to find a TV or movie stream via the search function does imply using piracy add-ons since there are very few examples legitimate add-ons that provide commercial movies and TV Shows.

Have a read so you know what you can and can't talk about here:

http://kodi.wiki/view/Official:Forum_rul...acy_Policy

http://kodi.wiki/view/Official:Forum_rul...ed_add-ons
Would an RF remote like the Rii Mini i7 work well with the Nvidia Shield TV box?

I recently purchased that $16 remote (to replace my aging Minix M1) for my current Minix X8-H Plus and I love it the little thing. It has all the keys I use frequently (including a Menu key which functions as "Info" while watching a video) and was easy to remap (within Kodi) an unused key to perform "Stop". All it lacks is an alphanumeric keyboard, but I don't enter long text that often. When I do, I reach for my Minix A2 Lite remote.
(2016-04-15, 19:51)Don Grimme Wrote: [ -> ]Would an RF remote like the Rii Mini i7 work well with the Nvidia Shield TV box?

I recently purchased that $16 remote (to replace my aging Minix M1) for my current Minix X8-H Plus and I love it the little thing. It has all the keys I use frequently (including a Menu key which functions as "Info" while watching a video) and was easy to remap (within Kodi) an unused key to perform "Stop". All it lacks is an alphanumeric keyboard, but I don't enter long text that often. When I do, I reach for my Minix A2 Lite remote.

I use a USB IR receiver for Kodi on mine. Also if you have a harmony remote you can use it natively with the shield, it even has its own profile
Pages: 1 2