Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: MCE/RC6 remote in Windows 10
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Using an official Microsoft MCE RC6 IR remote with Kodi 16.1 Jarvis in Windows 10 x64, and showkey.exe shows that some buttons ("i", the green/Windows/start button, "recorded TV", "guide", "live TV", "DVD menu") don't generate keypresses, and Kodi doesn't react to them.

Using the same IR receiver + remote in Kodibuntu on a different machine resulted in those buttons working (although I may have made some tweaks to map the LIRC name that it reports).

Given that showkey.exe doesn't show anything for those buttons, this is probably Windows 10's fault and certainly not Kodi's. I even tried using Advanced MCE Remote Mapper, but that didn't help.

Anyone else deal with this?
Google is my friend and should be yours too, a 2 second search "windows kodi mce remote setup" brings these search results. Using_a_Microsoft_remote_control_in_Windows (wiki) - Add-on:MCERemote (wiki) - 164252 (thread) now i use Advance MCE remote mapper on the last results.

So yes it in not a kodi issue and wrong it is not a wndows issue either but a user issue not knowing how to search for answers for them selves. It has been covered before.

I use a xbox remote on windows 10. Need to do a registry hack first then change the guide button to what ever key press you like ie. "I" even create a custom appcommand map if you like.

I am happy to help out anyone but don't appreciate people just wanting answers.

Like I said this has been covered many of times, there is no issue.
Thanks but I already mentioned that I tried Advanced MCE Remote Mapper and it didn't help.

I've already spent HOURS searching Google with no luck.
Did you recently install the Anniversary update? Because I did and it seems to have broken a LOT of my MCE remote features that had worked fine with Kodi till this morning.
Sounds like the same issue I'm having too. It must be a windows 10 issue because this exact same remote worked for me in windows XP
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=283990
Yes, did it to me, too.
Just restored the regsettings and all was fine.
What does "restored the regsettings" mean? Can you provide detailed steps?
Sure.
In case nothing is picked up by the OS, most likely a default registry setting is reset.
To have your remote signals recognized again, make a backup of existing regkeys and adjust the registry as described here:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=85839

After this, reboot.
The system should now pick up the keypresses again.
From here, you can bring back the button layout to your preference with any of the mentioned keymappers very easily.

(2016-08-11, 02:47)HunterZ Wrote: [ -> ]What does "restored the regsettings" mean? Can you provide detailed steps?
I just made those alterations in the link above and it completely killed any input from the MCE remote. Luckily I made a backup of my registry first.
(2016-08-14, 00:26)MrBfJohn Wrote: [ -> ]I just made those alterations in the link above and it completely killed any input from the MCE remote. Luckily I made a backup of my registry first.
You must have a different type remote than mentioned in this topic or have a different issue altogether.
Edited the post to make sure a backup is made first. That's automatic for me but maybe not for everyone
That's entirely possible. For anyone browsing this in the future, my MCE Remote model number is 1039, with receiver model 1040

I think I might have misunderstood the issue.
The solution posted above, editing the registry, works only if your MCE remote signals are not recognized at the OS level at all.
(2016-08-06, 03:04)HunterZ Wrote: [ -> ]Using an official Microsoft MCE RC6 IR remote with Kodi 16.1 Jarvis in Windows 10 x64, and showkey.exe shows that some buttons ("i", the green/Windows/start button, "recorded TV", "guide", "live TV", "DVD menu") don't generate keypresses, and Kodi doesn't react to them.

Using the same IR receiver + remote in Kodibuntu on a different machine resulted in those buttons working (although I may have made some tweaks to map the LIRC name that it reports).

Given that showkey.exe doesn't show anything for those buttons, this is probably Windows 10's fault and certainly not Kodi's. I even tried using Advanced MCE Remote Mapper, but that didn't help.

Anyone else deal with this?

I apologize for resurrecting an old thread, but I've spent 2 hours googling this, and have yet to find a solution. I've got the same type of Microsoft RC6 remote (type 1039) as MrBfJohn above, and am still having the same problem in that showkey.exe is showing no input from the special keys. I did find this Microsoft thread, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind...2f23447a8a
saying that there's a specific update that caused the problem, but no solution. Has anyone figured this one out yet? I've tried some remappers, with no success, since Windows doesn't register those keypresses in the first place. Is it time to replace my IR receiver with something else?
I use an RC6 remote control.

I use the installers here... http://xbmccustomregis.sourceforge.net/index.html

Works fine for me.
(2017-04-23, 23:26)blossom24 Wrote: [ -> ]I use an RC6 remote control.

I use the installers here... http://xbmccustomregis.sourceforge.net/index.html

Works fine for me.
I tried all that and it didn't work for me, so I don't believe you unless you post a video of you poking the special buttons on your remote and showing them work in latest Kodi on latest Windows 10.

I just switched to using a wireless XBox360 controller and it's a much better experience, sadly.
Pages: 1 2