Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Professionals or kids having tantrums!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Yet again @ronie has trashed all robwebset add-on posts including the one about his repository. I understood that the original falling out concerned one or two addons so why trash them all? It would seem now that it is all about ronie saving face!!

Team Kodi need to start acting professional and put an end to this once and for all & ronie needs to grow up!!

Check out: robwebset repo Now! Get the link before that too disappears from the wiki page
+1

Just seems like a personal vendetta now. I fail to see how trashing Rob's threads is in any way helping the Kodi community. Any respect I once had for @ronie is quickly ebbing away.
(2016-10-02, 08:44)black_eagle Wrote: [ -> ]+1

Just seems like a personal vendetta now. I fail to see how trashing Rob's threads is in any way helping the Kodi community. Any respect I once had for @ronie is quickly ebbing away.

Why is @ronie censoring Rob's threads, which rule/s are being broken?
(2016-10-02, 09:19)Jeffers24 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-10-02, 08:44)black_eagle Wrote: [ -> ]+1

Why is @ronie censoring Rob's threads, which rule/s are being broken?

As simple users we are not privy to that sort of information, we just have to suffer the consequences it seems and there was me thinking that kodi was built for the community!
i want to think that it isn't a personal matter. but i wish they try to find a middle way.
(2016-10-02, 09:37)peppe_sr Wrote: [ -> ]i want to think that it isn't a personal matter. but i wish they try to find a middle way.

We would all like to think that it isn't a personal matter, but to trash all his threads without any explanation is both childish and unprofessional.
FWIW, it's discussed here: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=287562

Now, it's up to you whether you feel this is fair and even application of clear rules that are there to protect the user and reduce support problems, or whether you believe there's something else at play. However, the rationale is explained in that thread.
(2016-10-02, 12:32)Prof Yaffle Wrote: [ -> ]FWIW, it's discussed here: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=287562

Now, it's up to you whether you feel this is fair and even application of clear rules that are there to protect the user and reduce support problems, or whether you believe there's something else at play. However, the rationale is explained in that thread.
I can only find post #60, which isn't applicable now. Where are you looking?
Posts 11+ touch on the why - okay, "discussion" is perhaps over-stating it a little, I'll accept that! - but that's what I was reading.

I can see you (trogggy) in that thread, so I'm sure you have a perspective. It seems to hinge on whether addons can modify any of the 'core' data: the rules now being enforced are that addons should strictly keep their data sandboxed to themselves, so they don't corrupt core files and/or abandon data after uninstallation. I guess the hardening of attitude is because of the support overhead of "something broke my Kodi/uninstall it/it's still broken".

(I personally think it's harsh to bin these threads vs having the conversation and maybe moving the impacted addons out of the official repository, but there we go; what's being discussed doesn't violate any rules that I see; they're being treated in the same way as the piracy addons, but for very different reasons).
All those discussions are about the official repo, not about what's allowed on the forum. There are plenty of add-ons here that wouldn't be allowed in the official repo for one reason or another - heck, the skin I use installs it's own little keymap modification. If that's a reason to remove from here then it's a rule that's never been stated and is applied to only one person.
Two reasons have been given as far as I can see.
1. Here.
Quote:we can not allow a third party repo that overwrites addons from the official kodi repo.
That one clearly doesn't apply now.

2. Here.
Quote:the add-on repo still contains addons which behave in ways that are currently not allowed in our main repository and can cause issues to our users.
This also means we do not allow listing or linking to the repository that has these addons on the forum (or on the wiki for that matter).
So an add-on (not named) that was in the official repo last month is now dangerous to users and all discussion is banned. And a new rule (addons have to follow the rules for the main repo?) plucked out of the air.
Are these 'issues to our users' real ones or hypothetical?

It's crystal clear that rules are being made up and applied selectively to one person. It's then a question of whether you think that's right or wrong.

(2016-10-02, 14:08)Prof Yaffle Wrote: [ -> ](I personally think it's harsh to bin these threads vs having the conversation and maybe moving the impacted addons out of the official repository, but there we go; what's being discussed doesn't violate any rules that I see; they're being treated in the same way as the piracy addons, but for very different reasons).
The add-ons were moved out of the official repo some weeks ago. That seems to have been a big issue in itself.

Edit: Problem solved.
+1
Not a lot more to say on that, then - and I'm not usually one to struggle for words.

It does seem that the logic is...

Pirate addons are bad
Therefore we do not talk about pirate addons
Other addons - ones which manipulate any core Kodi files - are also bad
Therefore we also do not talk about these addons
Therefore we will condemn all threads to the garbage
Thus we have never talked about these addons

"He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past."
ronie Wrote: [ -> ]i'm sorry but, as explained before, we cannot have this on our forum.
I have searched all the posts and can find no explanation as to why you would bin ALL of Rob's add-on posts?

ronie Wrote: [ -> ]Your thread was moved to the Garbage subforum because it's either inapropriate, has the wrong attitude or was simply unnecessary for whatever reason. In doubt please read our Official:Forum rules (wiki).

Note - This an automated message as the poster, who is either one of our moderators or administrators doesn't always have time to leave a personal message.

So which add-ons are you saying are inapropriate, have the wrong attitude or were simply unnecessary?
As a user of some of these add-ons, please can you tell me where I (or anyone else) would now post for support of Rob's add-ons?
This should be an easy thing to resolve.

Where a legitimate addon that cannot be part of the official Kodi repository because of stated rules is concerned, then a simple rule should be in place that states that the developer must, in the first post of a thread, state what modifications their addon makes that could potentially affect the ability for another addon to not work as expected.

Add to that a mandatory use at your own risk statement.

Then any user that wishes to consider using such an addon can do so in a more informed manner and make decisions based upon the information given about the effect that it could have elsewhere in a Kodi setup.

The thread can then be used for users to ask questions, make suggestions and give feedback.

The result is clarity and no more need for conflict or bad feelings, which also means a happier user, developer and owner community.
(2016-10-03, 02:25)Bluesmanuk Wrote: [ -> ]This should be an easy thing to resolve.

Where a legitimate addon that cannot be part of the official Kodi repository because of stated rules is concerned, then a simple rule should be in place that states that the developer must, in the first post of a thread, state what modifications their addon makes that could potentially affect the ability for another addon to not work as expected.

Add to that a mandatory use at your own risk statement.

Then any user that wishes to consider using such an addon can do so in a more informed manner and make decisions based upon the information given about the effect that it could have elsewhere in a Kodi setup.

The thread can then be used for users to ask questions, make suggestions and give feedback.

The result is clarity and no more need for conflict or bad feelings, which also means a happier user, developer and owner community.
That's assuming the reasons given are genuine of course. In which case lots of other repos will no doubt be disappearing.
I'm not holding my breath.
Pages: 1 2 3