Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Tv shows not populating in main menu
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Movies are showing up in the main menu. For some reason the TV shows are not. I get, "Your library is currently empty..." so I click on "Enter Files Section", navigate to my files, then nothing happens. I can see the files, click on them, but they do not populate in the library. I can scan for new content and all that, but no dice. I have searched but can find no answer.
Hello Devisissy and welcome.

You will need to provide a whole lot more information than that to receive any help. You can start off with...

Kodi Version
Hardware and operating system
Location of media... local hard drive / network / other
Your TV Show directory structure
Your TV Show naming convention
Are you using the default scraper or are you using nfo files?
And, i'm sure, others will find a Debug Log useful
It's a bit tricky getting all your TV into the library (ensure you have movies and TV shows in totally separate folders and not nested in one or the other) This link has a couple of good videos, worth a few moments. Video management (wiki) and this one which I dug up on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueqwMbdMVHU

The biggest issue, nomenclature.. Naming video files/TV shows (wiki) and use this link to see the exact name in the TVdb http://thetvdb.com/?tab=advancedsearch

If you're like so many with file names that are associated with resolution, archive, and just junk... Use the neat add-on TheRenamer (wiki) drag & drop easy, whole folders! Never saw a file that went through TR that didn't scrape first try.
I could have swore I had replied to this. OK so it's more complicated than I first realized.

Kodi Version -17.0 Or Krypton
Hardware and operating system -Windows 10 and Amazon Fire TV version 2
Location of media... local hard drive / network / other -Local Hard Drive of Windows 10 computer then Upnp to Fire TV
Your TV Show directory structure-C:/Users/Devisissy/Documents/TV Shows/The Missing/Episodes here
Your TV Show naming convention-Not sure exactly what this means, but I know in windows10 everything works perfectly it's the FireTV that is all messed up.
Are you using the default scraper or are you using nfo files? NFO
And, i'm sure, others will find a Debug Log useful-Have no clue how to get debug log, I tried to mess with it in settings, but no log, all it says is "Kodi started successfully" No matter what I select no log is made.

Here is the deal. I am REALLY new to Kodi. I have a windows10 computer I built with the intentions of using it as a media server. It's been nothing but issues from day one and I am thinking of scrapping the whole thing. I want to stream to Kodi on the FireTV via this windows10 computer like I did with my Windows 7 laptop. However SMB refuses to work. I spent nearly a whole day screwing with it, but Kodi can't see SMB on the win10 computer. I get "invalid argument" every single time. It's infuriating.

So I tried Upnp. Success! Sort of. Instead of the slick look I had before I get a list of files. I can click on them and they play, however Kodi Krypton wont update the main menu libraries. It work's great on the Win10 computer, I click update library and I get the art, and everything. But nada on the firetv. I would love for SMB to just work but I don't have the know how to solve the issue the win10 machine and Kodi on the fireTV are having. I would be happy with just Upnp if the dang main menus would work. Instead of just the "Add files here" then nothing happens. I am super new to all of this. I had version 16 with my old win7 laptop with zero issues for the last two months, so I think it may be a win10 issue.

Sorry for the wall of text here.
Ok, now a much clearer picture but still raises further questions.

By TV Show naming convention I meant how is the show named eg... Angel S01E01.

But my understanding is that it all works for you on your main computer... it's just the Amazon Fire that doesn't work, probably because of a network issue.

You are using uPNP. I think there are others that are better suited to answer this. But I did have the same problem and here is a link to my post and responses

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=285540

Still didn't make sense to me... Couldn't see the point of offering upnp to share libraries if it doesn't work. I know I am misunderstanding something, but eventually gave up.
Yes the convention is as you have it there. It has to be a network issue. SMB refuses to work. It works so beautifully on my windows 7! In fact to test it I started my laptop up and Kodi Krypton was able to link right up to it So something is going on with this windows10 machine. Ruling out modem, router issues. HOWEVER, in total frustration I set up Plex on the win10 machine then downloaded it on the FireTV and it worked. I think maybe it's because it's a different system. I really don't want to use Plex because Kodi offers much more, but frustration is high.

So it would seem the solution is to figure out why win10 wont allow SMB sharing. I am going to try the fix listed on the wiki although I don't think it will work because the fix seems to be for another issue I am not having. "Invalid argument" is mine. In fact it's not consistent either. Sometimes it will allow me to see the files, then make that error, other time's it gives me the error right away.
The fix on the wiki was no help. So, I'm out of options for now.
Win 10 has real difficulties with smb. Frankly I would start again with ubuntu.