Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Port XBMC for Linux to run on NMT (Networked Media Tank) hardware like Popcorn Hour?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
There's a good thread on AVS Forum on Popbox vs Boxee. One major takeaway is that the Boxee box uses a NVIDIA Tegra 2 chipset - basically netbook parts. Early demos of the Tegra 2 seem to indicate it won't handle high quality HD that even oldest popcorn like the A100 is able to do.
A lot of users use popcorn to decode BD rip, I don't think Boxee Box won't be a challenger in that case.

Source :
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1215894
Tegra 2 is a takeaway? Official support for Adobe Flash 10.1 is enough to put it well ahead of the Popbox in my book. I would rather have Tegra over a Sigma chip. With all of the products that are going to start shipping with Tegra 2 chipsets, the stuff that's going to be portable to Boxee Box should be endless. Linux/Android will pop up no problem, and because the hardware will be everywhere, and not just in PCH boxes, expect tons more support/developers
As Tegra 2 is only able to decode 10mbps stream when BD is 40mbps and BD rip usually 15mbps, it's born dead to me :/ Popcorn does the job and will kick ass once XBMC is ported Wink
akabob Wrote:As Tegra 2 is only able to decode 10mbps stream when BD is 40mbps and BD rip usually 15mbps, it's born dead to me :/ Popcorn does the job and will kick ass once XBMC is ported Wink

I agree, the 10 mbps killed it for me too.
ppic Wrote:2 other video availables:
http://passion-xbmc.org/les-news-de-xbmx...pcorn/?all

it seems to run smoother !

Man! It booted right to the XBMC frontend and ran smoother too.
BORIStheBLADE Wrote:I agree, the 10 mbps killed it for me too.

To quote "they support decode in 10s of Mbps range", that's more than 10 Mbps, some multiple of it. I'll let you know what it can do once I get openmax decoding into a egl texture on tegra2 platform.
davilla Wrote:To quote "they support decode in 10s of Mbps range", that's more than 10 Mbps, some multiple of it. I'll let you know what it can do once I get openmax decoding into a egl texture on tegra2 platform.

Cool, thanks for correcting me.
I would love to see it handles some Blu-ray rips.
akabob Wrote:As Tegra 2 is only able to decode 10mbps stream

How pathetic is that! OMG, I think my ancient 3800 X2 CPU from 2005 can decode better than that!

And I thought the Broadcom card was limited (which it is compared to ION)! Compared to that junk, the Broadcom card is a freaking superhero.

OMG. Thank you so much for that post.

davilla Wrote:To quote "they support decode in 10s of Mbps range", that's more than 10 Mbps, some multiple of it. I'll let you know what it can do once I get openmax decoding into a egl texture on tegra2 platform.

Awesome. Once you test one we can cut through the marketing BS and get at what the Boxee Box can really do.
poofyhairguy Wrote:How pathetic is that! OMG, I think my ancient 3800 X2 CPU from 2005 can decode better than that!

Not that pathetic at all? This is a mobile chipset, not a desktop one. Tegra 2 is going to start showing up in phones. My 10 year old computer is faster than any phone on the market today, but it doesn't make the phones pathetic. They are different worlds, you shouldn't be comparing them
ppic Wrote:2 other video availables:
http://passion-xbmc.org/les-news-de-xbmx...pcorn/?all

it seems to run smoother !

Those videos now seem to have disappeared. also ejp seems to have decided not to give regular updates anymore, allegedly due to the criticism triggered by his secrecy.

I don't know what to think, at this point I guess it's best to assume that there won't be any XBMC-NMT anytime soon (if ever) and just be pleasantly surprised if it eventually turns up one day.
EGOvoruhk Wrote:Not that pathetic at all? This is a mobile chipset, not a desktop one......They are different worlds, you shouldn't be comparing them

Yeah, except the Boxee people are putting them in set top boxes which will get compared to other superior set top boxes sporting something like an ION chipset.

If it really can only do a fraction of what low end laptop GPUs currently do (which is all an ION is), then it is no competitor to ION boxes or Popcorn Hours.

In fact, if the Boxee box ends up only capable of something less than 20mbps then it needs to be thrown in the trash with the world's other overhyped, under-delivering media box- the Apple TV!

(And yes, I know that an Apple TV plus a Broadcom card equals a decent setup- who knows maybe the Boxee box will take a Broadcom! )
EGOvoruhk Wrote:Not that pathetic at all? This is a mobile chipset, not a desktop one. Tegra 2 is going to start showing up in phones. My 10 year old computer is faster than any phone on the market today, but it doesn't make the phones pathetic. They are different worlds, you shouldn't be comparing them
I didnt realize the boxee box was a phone Smile 10 mb is pretty weak for something like a boxee box.
The Sigma SDK have obviously leaked since a while back, and a 8634/8635 developers' kit is probably not that difficult to come by as that development platform is now of little interest to Sigma and their clients. So I don't think there's any reason to assume that Syabas is behind the project. That EJP says today that he won't post any more updates in their forum also points in that direction. The thread split was probably just the moderators' way of trying to avert a flame war.

My theory is he wants to do it alone partly because of the glory, and partly because he does not want to spend his time answering questions, and avoid questions that touch upon sensitive licensing issues. But even so he couldn't resist the temptation to see his work recognized. His work on skins for one of the NMT jukeboxes made him very popular and popularity is addictive. He just severely misjudged people's reactions. A pretty skin for YAMJ (that is transparent, well-known and working) is one thing, a port of a hugely popular new media center like XBMC is quite another.

He seems to be a better coder than an internet forum psychologist. Smile Anyways it's all very interesting and I hope he succeeds. Why he would try on a hoax is beyond me; what a massive, massive waste of time it would be.
poofyhairguy Wrote:In fact, if the Boxee box ends up only capable of something less than 20mbps then it needs to be thrown in the trash with the world's other overhyped, under-delivering media box- the Apple TV!

(And yes, I know that an Apple TV plus a Broadcom card equals a decent setup- who knows maybe the Boxee box will take a Broadcom! )

Now, don't be picking on my friend, the AppleTV Smile
davilla Wrote:Now, don't be picking on my friend, the AppleTV Smile

It was kinda lame before you took it under you wing Davilla! Laugh my Xbox would of given it a dam good run for its money!Wink

But the "just about" enough power devices make me think I'll hang out for a while yet... come on Asrock I wanna see the 3D Vision box! Big Grin
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8