Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Port XBMC for Linux to run on NMT (Networked Media Tank) hardware like Popcorn Hour?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
poofyhairguy Wrote:And yes, I know that an Apple TV plus a Broadcom card equals a decent setup

Decent? lol AppleTV = Hands down the perfect media center, which is why I have 4 of them :| Personally, XBMC would have died to me with the Xbox1 if it wasn't for Davilla's work on the AppleTV... I don't see how it could be any better... Sexy, Simple, Portable, HDMI, BluRay (or Wifi), USB, and XBMC.

I'll admit AppleTV-OSX is a tad slow on large libraries, but AppleTV-Linux fixes that Smile My one and only wish is a Patchstick that installs everything on the ATV. (XBMC-Linux, NTFS/HFS support, etc).

Anyway, I just wanted to give my 2 cents is all, I wouldn't trade my AppleTV in for anything, 2nd best purchase I've made... my Sony Rolly being my 1st Tongue
NineT9mustang Wrote:Decent? lol AppleTV = Hands down the perfect media center, which is why I have 4 of them :| Personally, XBMC would have died to me with the Xbox1 if it wasn't for Davilla's work on the AppleTV... I don't see how it could be any better... Sexy, Simple, Portable, HDMI, BluRay (or Wifi), USB, and XBMC.

I'll admit AppleTV-OSX is a tad slow on large libraries, but AppleTV-Linux fixes that Smile My one and only wish is a Patchstick that installs everything on the ATV. (XBMC-Linux, NTFS/HFS support, etc).

Anyway, I just wanted to give my 2 cents is all, I wouldn't trade my AppleTV in for anything, 2nd best purchase I've made... my Sony Rolly being my 1st Tongue

The Atv is a good setup. I just wanted more button functions. Last time I messed with it you couldn't get much more than whats on the original remote.
NineT9mustang Wrote:Decent? lol AppleTV = Hands down the perfect media center, which is why I have 4 of them :| Personally, XBMC would have died to me with the Xbox1 if it wasn't for Davilla's work on the AppleTV... I don't see how it could be any better... Sexy, Simple, Portable, HDMI, BluRay (or Wifi), USB, and XBMC.

too bad it cant play 1080p very well even with the broadcom card
tennisbgc Wrote:too bad it cant play 1080p very well even with the broadcom card

I will agree that my hacked Apple TV+ Broadcom is much more limited in playback than my ION box.
rupertrobot Wrote:The Sigma SDK have obviously leaked since a while back, and a 8634/8635 developers' kit is probably not that difficult to come by as that development platform is now of little interest to Sigma and their clients. So I don't think there's any reason to assume that Syabas is behind the project. That EJP says today that he won't post any more updates in their forum also points in that direction. The thread split was probably just the moderators' way of trying to avert a flame war.
EJP said that on the 200 series, xbmc-nmt should take advantage of the more powerful chip... So he would also have access to the newer 864x chips development kit!? Come on the guy is not some criminal mastermind... Laugh

Is it so improbable that he'd be simply using free tools such as DirectFB?
poofyhairguy Wrote:I will agree that my hacked Apple TV+ Broadcom is much more limited in playback than my ION box.

I also agree that my Yugo is much more limited than my Ferrari.
davilla Wrote:I also agree that my Yugo is much more limited than my Ferrari.

True, but if they were both in the same price range, I'm certain you would buy the Ferrari. (AR1600 $199 vs AppleTV $229).
Carlos ze Dwarf Wrote:EJP said that on the 200 series, xbmc-nmt should take advantage of the more powerful chip... So he would also have access to the newer 864x chips development kit!? Come on the guy is not some criminal mastermind... Laugh

Is it so improbable that he'd be simply using free tools such as DirectFB?

I have no idea how the decoder on the particular chip works, but its possible they're planning to just use the built in decoder binary as an external player. If they can identify the hooks used by the main CPU to pass an encoded bitstream out and then copy decoded video to the frame buffer they could probably get that working. Obviously it wouldn't decode any video formats that the original firmware didn't handle, but at least you'd get the XBMC GUI and the ability to add new containers and audio formats.
I'm sure there is information here on this subject, but I've done a quick search and haven't found the answers I'm looking for.

I've seen this video:

http://bloggingabout.com/xbmc-popcorn-ho...eries.html

Does anyone have the information on how to set this up?

Thanks!
No and the author has released very little info about it. There are a couple of threads on it, search.
considering ejp states he's booting xbmc live from an usb stick on the a-100 I'd really be eager to have some details on how that may be accomplished. when you look at the hardware, not even the engineers at sigma designs could pull off such a stunt.
looking at his youtube videos the a-100 is clearly booting the syabas OS, then very fast something is done in the syabas onscreen menu and out of nowhere the xbmc GUI is presented, showing some way too fast browsing through the menu, NOT showing the system info screen.

let's be honest, he has captured the menu action and plays it off from the USB stick. this is the lamest fake I have ever seen. at first I was thinking he maybe just did a skin for the syabas OS but you can clearly see the opengl-accelerated transitions...
I think that EJP is a fraud (no offence, but I haven't seen any evidence that he isn't).
Now back to the theory. In theory XBMC could run on the 864x and 865x series chips from sigma, in case someone would write a DirectFB wrapper to run the GUI. On the 8656 (http://www.sigmadesigns.com/products.php?id=121) it wouldn't even need that much, since that one has OpenGL support built-in.
Unfortunately it's a large task making it work on the mips architecture.
I gave up waiting, relegated the popcorn hour to the bedroom (its now rarely used) and went fulltime with a Revo and XBMC.
Is it possible, or do you think it will be possible?

The popcorn hour media player is great, but the interface is way worse than XBMC, so whith PopcornHour hardware and XBMC as interface = 100%
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8