Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Viewing "Watched" movies in one folder, "Unwatched" in another.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have separate Movie folders for my movies, and for my daughter's.  On hers, since she watches them over and over, I leave them all marked as "watched", where mine are all new, "unwatched" movies.  Is there a way to set up the folders/library in a way that on her folders when I set the view to "watched", it doesn't also change the view status of my movies folder?  Currently, when I open her movie folder, I have to change the view status to "watched" to view her movies, which is difficult for her to navigate without help, and then I have to change back to "unwatched" when I go back to my movie folder.  I would also like to do the same with her TV show folder and mine.  I'm running Kodi 17.6 on a Nvidia Shield and streaming files from my Windows 7 desktop PC.  Thanks for any help.
Hi Wakeboarder141

A little bit hard to follow as you haven't told us your setup. Is this all happening on the one Kodi install, or are you using profiles, or MySQL etc...

But taking a basic view, it sounds like you have filtered your library. Pull out the sideblade menu... http://kodi.wiki/view/Home_screen_and_ba...blade_Menu

In the image, fifth option down from top is All Videos. It toggles between All Videos, Watched and Unwatched Maybe you have these set incorrectly?
If you use a centralized MySQL setup, one option is to each use separate databases, using the same movie & tv sources.
Sorry, let me clarify.  I am using a single profile with local files, no SQL or anything.  I understand how to change how I am viewing watched, unwatched, or all.  My issue is that when I change the view in my movie folder to unwatched, all of the movies in HER movie folder won't show up because they are all marked as watched.  To view her movies I have to navigate to her folder, then change the option in the sidebar from unwatched to watched, which is hard when trying to let her navigate things on her own.  My question is whether or not there is a way inside a single profile to have one movie folder show only unwatched movies while another, separate source that also has movies in it displays only watched movies.  Right now when I change to unwatched in the sidebar, it changed to unwatched in all movie folders instead of changing that folder's viewing state independently, much like how changing that option in my TV shows folder doesn't change how my movie folder is being displayed.  Thanks.
Do I possibly need to set up a separate profile to have this capability?
Kodi still supports only 1 user per profile. So, when you have a single profile in Kodi, that one profile will keep track for 1 user and its video sources.
If you want to keep separate watched statuses for a video (you vs your daughter), you will need separate databases, meaning setting up separate profiles.
Thank you for the response.  However, I don't want separate watched statuses on a single file.  I want one movie source to only show movies that are marked as watched, and another movie source to only show movies that are unwatched, without having to change folders and then change the view from the sidebar, much like how if I change a TV show source to view "watched" it doesn't affect the way my Movies folder is currently displayed.
Not possible.
Thank you.  Would setting up a separate profile sound like the best way to have it work that way?
Your query is something that the three of us have discussed in the moderators channel.

@nickr came up with the suggestion of using Nodes and Smart Playlists. Quote..."One smart playlist is simply show everything whose full path includes daughter. One is show everything where full path includes Dad AND is unwatched." http://kodi.wiki/view/Smart_Playlist

You can set up separate profiles, and I also suggested that in our conversation, but I don't see the benefit from a usability point of view.... How many remote control clicks to change Watched/Unwatched status -v- how many clicks to logout one profile and login the next profile. Although I haven't exactly counted, I imagine they are pretty similar. My other suggestion was to use the All Videos instead of Watched and Unwatched, but change to sort order to Play Count- Ascending. This will always place the unwtched movies at the top of the list.

It is something Kodi wasn't really designed to do, keep track of watched status for multiple individuals for each movie.
Thank you for the explanation.  I know very little about the inner workings of Kodi, but perhaps the answer may lie in something as simple as adding separate categories.  Instead of just a "Movie database" and a "TV database," there could also be a "Kids movies" and "Kids TV" database that you can select from within the context menu like you can with Music videos without changing much about the way their scrapers work.
Why not try a smart playlist?
I'm not familiar with smart playlists, but I will look into it.  Thanks.
(2018-01-25, 10:48)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]Why not try a smart playlist?
I made a smart playlists that displays my kids movie folder, but that doesn't seem to behave any differently.  When I change that playlist to display "watched," it also changes my main movie folder to displaying "watched."  Am I missing some functionality of the smart playlist?
A smart playlist is only about selecting a certain group of videos. Setting the watched status functionality is something outside the scope of smart playlists.
Pages: 1 2