Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: some questions about kodi and streaming
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys,
I have a couple of a questions. i googled a lot, spend 2-3 days rather. so by any chance if something is too obvious. pardon me

a little history. i was using an old lg webos 2.0 tv with dlna streaming from my pc. life was peaceful. 

recently moved to my own place . and decided to spend some big bucks .

got the new sony oled, an awesome new router (asus ac88u) and I setup a home theatre system. for my media from my pc. on a wired network

had no clue about kodi . tried dlna streaming on default players. it was simply boring . (couldnt even change subtitle size/ color omg )

after researching i discovered plex , and then Kodi (MIND BLOWN!!! )

now im in love with kodi. 

but for the life of me i am having so much trouble using it ever since i discovered it.  but when it works . its the best.

i did learn few things too (which will be reflected in my questions)

Q1. Is my latest sony oled still not powerful enough?? are costly tv's just costly coz of the panel and pic quality . (i expected a powerhouse i guess) ?? 

Q2a. the file sharing is the most hectic thing to understand or learn. i spent lot of time searching for HOW TO use SMB or NFS. i have simply given up on SMB . if someone can help me with SMB . will appreciate it. i am pretty sure I followed steps correctly. (from kodi wiki , didnt find any other relevant guide). i shared my media folder. gave access to everyone for everything. created homegruop. but kodi from my tv simply wouldnt detect an smb folder ( both auto and manually ), dont know what im doing wrong . will provide more info if someone can help me in this. i have done this a lot meticulously so its not a noob based help. 

Q2b. finally discovered this cmd based nfs thing . called winnnfsd.exe . have to type a line in powershell.  and it runs flawlessly. but honestly this is not convinent enough for me. and i want peace of mind and not having to run this file or type stuff in cmd prompts everytime "something" happens. (like in my old days the Upnp dlna server permantnly ran in background, detected new files etc.) why the hell there isnt any nfs gui solution for that? 
an example. i had a power outage ( its common here). when power came back. opening kodi it shows PREPARING . and its just stuck on PREPARING. ......... has happened before.  restarted server . but still preparing. like i said . i dont want to deal with such things . i want comfort. 

Q3. the probs in Q2 led me to explore other options . i really want some peace of mind. and if i have to spend a bit more i just might. is nvidia sheild tv worth itHuh . i was really planning on spending on xbox one x. but my movie comfort comes first.
 is there a solution ?? can i maybe get a NAS drive (an external hdd with a lan port and usb port ) will it be worth it . ? i can simply add downloaded files to the NAS drive. only thing is it should get detected by kodi on tv very easily im hoping. no experience with NAS . please advice.
anything else Huh
(in short, i just want to download files, add to specified folder. pick up my remote and start watching. easyyyyyyyy life )

Q4. by any chance is there a HDR indicator on kodi or any particular skin or addon.  there is practically every info i have seen . sound channels . dolby etc. 1080p 4k , 720p . etc. etc. stuff . but no HDR thing.
but hdr does play successfully. but i would like to know if currently HDR content is being played.  coz this latest flagship tv wont let me press i (info) button on kodi to check  some details. and even when i go into picture mode ( HDR tag comes there if current play is HDR) the kodi simply stops playing . is there a way to avoid that? some addon or something?

Q5. might be a no brainer , but just to confirm. if im not transcoding then direct stream from upnp or smn or nfs is same thing right? in terms of quality of course . technically lot of differences im sure. but basically if there is enough bandwidth without transcoding i will see and expefience same thing right? cause in that case ill use my upnp server for temporary watching till a solution.

thanks for your time guys . appreciate it
if i forgot something to add. ill do that asap let me know.
bump
Yours is a longer story. People may take longer to respond.

Q1) Any OLED tv is young thus powerful enough to play all videos. Inbuilt media players in TVs don't always have the flexibilities or options of video players for Windows, Linux, Android...

Q2) It depends on your "file server" which file protocol is available. Windows does SMB/Samba, NFS is only available in the Enterprise version, as far as I know. Your Windows file server could also be needing SMBv2 now, but normally Win10 would have already upgraded to the newer version. Kodi defaults now to SMBv2, due to the worldwide WannaCry scare last year. You could think of a 2-bay Synology NAS with all functionality built-in via an easy GUI and some 5 years of software support. Personally I use a simple Ubuntu Linux pc as a server, and use NFS for connecting my Kodi clients. It can be installed and configured in under 20-30 minutes (if you know how, of course).

Q3) Choosing the right device for Kodi is an art itself. You will need to know what your 'use case' is. Have a peek here: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916
The Nvidia Shield does have many features, but comes with a bigger price tag. And personally I'm not convinced at its 4K60fps 10bit HEVC performance. A 'simple' Wetek HUB or Odroid C2 have good LibreELEC support.

Q4) HDR is still a work-in-progress for Kodi 18. It's not only understanding HDR, but also waiting for hardware manufacturers (Intel, Nvidia, AMD, AMlogic, etc) to provide proper video driver and bios updates whenever applicable.

Q5) Kodi does not do transcoding. So it's up to the Kodi client (tablet, phone, pc, etc.) to provide the video acceleration hardware to watch the video's original quality.
i appreciate it.

i got a wdmycloud and using nfs from it. its great now. peaceful

have another issue though 

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=327915