Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Any way to make Kodi easier to use for my mother?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, I hope you are all OK. 

I have been using Kodi myself for quite a long time on a Mac, and have decided to purchase a vanilla android box to run kodi,, some web browsing, and to run emulators for my older games to save setting up each console, and to also enjoy them on my larger TV, which can't seem to work with an old RF style input for some consoles. 

I live with my Mother, who recently had a mini stroke. I would like to also teach her how to do basic things using Android, such as browse the internet, and hopefully be able to use some features of Kodi, such as streaming. 

I just worry the interface of vanilla Kodi may be a bit confusing for her (I don't use builds with dodgy repos), so was wondering if there was a skin available that is very simple to use? 

I admit I am not super knowledgeable with Kodi, I just know how to do the basics, so any help would be much appreciated for me, and in turn my mother. 

Thank you all, Conan.
Have a look at a different, easier(?) Car PC skin: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=320735

I already suggested a couple of times there should be a totally basic skin for the elderly, physically challenged, young kids or whoever, but as I have no skinning skills myself there is a bit of a dilemma.
The problem is that what one person may find simple another may not.

Estuary (default skin Kodi v17+) is already designed to be pretty simple and, if needed, customized to some degree (like removing unneeded menu items).  Most menu items are easy to get to, Movies, TV Shows, Music, etc. and with things like movies it will show things like In progress, recently added, unwatched, etc. so you don't have dive deeper to get to them.

Really, the only thing that you can do is try different skins and see if something fits your needs better.  A lot of people can suggest this skin or that one, but really the only person that is going to be able to tell which is best for you and your mother is you.

I would suggest looking through the skins sub-forum https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67 as there are some skins there that aren't in our repo as well as some mods of popular skins.

You can also take a look in the WIP skin sub-forum https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67 as there are some there that are still a Wok in Progress, but work relatively well as is.
(2018-05-06, 14:27)conanthewarrior Wrote: [ -> ]I just worry the interface of vanilla Kodi may be a bit confusing for her (I don't use builds with dodgy repos), so was wondering if there was a skin available that is very simple to use? 
Sadly, as much as I love Kodi, it is super complicated compared to Netflix for example. IMO it is not a solution for the older, non-technical folks. Just trying to explain "hit the back button, the OK button, the menu button" to my folks or grandparents was a comical exercise. A popup from an addon or updating addon will stop them in their tracks and necessitate a phone call to you lol.

On Android I'd suggest *mod edit* if you want "simpler." No addons to manage and far fewer settings and menus. If it is live TV, something like Perfect Player is a one stop shop with EPG and very few controls to learn.

Wish I had better news.
(2018-05-07, 01:41)sumpm1 Wrote: [ -> ]Wish I had better news.
And I wish you would not advertise Android apps providing illegal video streams.
Stop doing that if you do not want to be kicked off this forum.
Thank you all for your help and advice. 

It is true that what one person finds really easy, another may find difficult. I had to laugh at @sumpm1 explaining what it is like trying to teach someone older how to use something, it really reminded me of my grandfather (he passed away toward the end of last year). I've found with older family members, the act of tapping something is difficult to get across. 

My grandfather switched to a Kindle as books were hard for him to use due to their weight, and holding them open and turning pages without use of his left arm was very difficult. Often he would end up skipping multiple pages by holding the button, and asking me to get him back where he was. He had hundreds of books on there, and I do sometimes wonder if he actually managed to read one without skipping multiple pages. 

@Klojum , I really like your idea of a simpler interface for people who might need it. I worked with disabled adults in the past, and I'm sure all of them would have loved to learn how to use something like Kodi. The joy they felt from learning something that is simple to us was lovely to see.
(2018-05-07, 09:14)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-05-07, 01:41)sumpm1 Wrote: [ -> ]Wish I had better news.
And I wish you would not advertise Android apps providing illegal video streams.
Stop doing that if you do not want to be kicked off this forum. 
My apologies.
Hi,
It is great topic what you started. I have same situation. Did you find any solution? Or can you please give me any advice where to looking for any ideas?
(2018-05-06, 14:27)conanthewarrior Wrote: [ -> ]Hello, I hope you are all OK. 

I have been using Kodi myself for quite a long time on a Mac, and have decided to purchase a vanilla android box to run kodi,, some web browsing, and to run emulators for my older games to save setting up each console, and to also enjoy them on my larger TV, which can't seem to work with an old RF style input for some consoles. 

I live with my Mother, who recently had a mini stroke. I would like to also teach her how to do basic things using Android, such as browse the internet, and hopefully be able to use some features of Kodi, such as streaming. 

I setup my Sister's Kodi Krypton and use the simple, elegant Eminence Skin, removed a bunch of Tiles down the bottom of the screen that were not needed and once configured completely I enabled "Kiosk Mode" so the interface cannot be changed by inadvertent remote button pressings:

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=237538
It's been almost 3 years and nothing.
It seems that Skin creators have no interest in this topic.
They prefer to continue in the great dispute of "Who can use all the complex resources of Kodi".
A little like the culture of Linux code programmers.
Many years without worrying about the other 99% of users, those who are not Nerds.
Kodi seems to be a program made by Nerds, for Nerds.
If you are part of the 99% who is not a Nerd, well, there are books teaching you how to use Kodi and become a Nerd.
(2021-01-31, 19:15)ticao2 Wrote: [ -> ]It's been almost 3 years and nothing.
They prefer to continue in the great dispute of "Who can use all the complex resources of Kodi".
Many years without worrying about the other 99% of users, those who are not Nerds.
If you are part of the 99% who is not a Nerd, well, there are books teaching you how to use Kodi and become a Nerd.
Incredibly offensive post to all the volunteers who work so hard creating and maintaining skins for Kodi. Why don't you get off your ass and create a simple skin for people to use instead of waiting for somebody else to do it for you?
(2021-01-31, 19:35)FXB78 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-01-31, 19:15)ticao2 Wrote: [ -> ]It's been almost 3 years and nothing.
Incredibly offensive post to all the volunteers who work so hard creating and maintaining skins for Kodi. Why don't you get off your ass and create a simple skin for people to use instead of waiting for somebody else to do it for you?
My intention was not to offend. Never.
My native language is not English. Everything is translated by Google.
In my country, Nerd is not an offensive word.
If anyone is offended I apologize.