Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi on HTPC + Onkyo receiver audio settings/config help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, 

Wasn't 100% sure if I should post this here or some other Windows or audio/video forum but thought I'd give it a shot here. It is related to Kodi anyway, but I don't think it's a Kodi issue. 

Anyways, setup is:
  • Kodi v18 b2 - the issue was there in v17 as well
  • Sony  XBR65X850 
  • Onkyo TX-SR373 receiver
  • HTPC - Windows 10 - i7-7700k, 16 GB RAM, M.2 SSD, GTX 970

All 3 items are connected via HDMI to the ARC ports (TV & receiver). 

The problem I have is every time I turn off the receiver power, the PC forgets the receiver (the receiver disappears from the Windows audio settings), then say you opened Kodi, Kodi then forgets what the audio default is supposed to be, and reverts to whatever else it can be (headphones). 

So essentially, I turn off the receiver, then open Kodi, it defaults to my Corsair headphones. So now I have to go back through Kodi audio settings to set both audio output/passthrough devices again. It happens to me all the time since I got this new receiver and TV (my old stuff wasn't HDMI, receiver didnt have it, TV didn't have ARC).

I'm not used to the audio device controlling PC settings and not sure how to deal with it. This is also a gaming PC with a second monitor right by the TV, so it's not like I am leaving Kodi open all the time on a PC that isnt used for other things. I'm constantly closing Kodi and turning off stereo so it always resets the settings on me. 

I want my headphones as default, and Kodi to remember the audio settings, even if the receiver is off. Is this possible?

I thought about disregarding the ARC functions and switching ports, but I use the Netflix/Twitch apps on the TV so I need ARC for the sound.

I looked through my receiver manual but can't find anything that might help, was hoping for a setting somewhere on the receiver to "remain awake" or something for communication to devices (like a wake on lan thing) so it can stay awake but low power. Or even a master setting in Kodi so that it stays the correct device even if it is not found (config file)?

Thanks in advance!
Don't want to share?

Deleting your own post and teasing us that you solved your problem is not in the spirit of this forum. Your solution may help others.

I have reverted your deletion in the hopes that you post your solution.
Shutting down Kodi prior to shutting off the TX-SR373 would keep Kodi settings with the HDMI handshake, launching Kodi after turning on the TX-SR373 would maintain his settings. Just a matter of the order of operations, otherwise it would be the Pin #19 trick to ignore handshakes. https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=158432
(2018-10-04, 05:52)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]Don't want to share?

Deleting your own post and teasing us that you solved your problem is not in the spirit of this forum. Your solution may help others.

I have reverted your deletion in the hopes that you post your solution.
First, the solution was thankfully provided by Patk! (see bottom)

2nd, reviving this older post. Sorry I usually do have forum etiquette and leave my posts up, but truth is in this instance the "solution" I found was that I realized Kodi would hold the pass-thru settings but not the decoder settings, and audio would work. I kept changing the decoder to WASAPI HDMI Receiver and also in pass-through, when I only needed to keep pass-through set to get Kodi playing. Thing is, I realized I was just a moron and it wasnt really an issue so I figured it wasn't really needed to be kept on forums. Then like 10 minutes after I deleted the post it happened again! The pass-through setting was defaulted and  it stopped playing audio again. I went back to edit my post and put it back online, but could not go back in the browser, figured it was dead. You must have restored it after I looked for it, and I wasn't getting email notifications for the post. So I essentially lived with the issue for a couple more months before tackling it again. I came back here and the post was back. 

And this lead me to the solution! thanks Patk! I carved out the rubber just at the edge of my HDMI cable and cut Pin #19 and it worked! HTPC now does not forget the monitor when the TV and Onkyo receiver are turned off. That and I can also run 120 Hz on TV simultaneously with 60 Hz on the monitor in duplication mode, wasn't able to before! For anyone else with this issue, it is very important to reboot the PC after modifying or taping the pin 19, or it won't work. I had a heck of a time with this as I thought I wrecked the cable, turns out it was fine just had to reboot first after re-connecting it.
Thread marked solved.