Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: 10bit HEVC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Looking to maybe do some upgrades and switching stuff around with my setup.

I tried a 10bit HVEC last month for the first time, and utter garbage. Lag, stutter, etc... searched online, and some say KODI doesn't play it, saw some say KODI doesn't under Linux (LibreElec in my case) and some say it's hardware related.

Does KODI play 10bit HVEC?

If so... what factors do I need to watch for when I do my new setup?

Right now, I have an old (but a tank) Core2Quad PC with an SSD main drive and a pair of 3TB drives for media (one movies, one TV) and a cheap fanless video card to keep the noise down. I have a 2016 iMac Mini sitting at home gathering dust, traded it with a friend who never used it, and debated using it as the new HTPC and getting a 2-Bay NAS for the 2x3TB drives.

If KODI doesn't handle 10bit-HVEC then I think I'm set. If it does but I need a specific CPU speed or higher, or video card etc... then I may look at a cheap used desktop PC instead. I've tried looking on here but, seems to be hard to pin down exactly what's what.
(2019-01-24, 20:44)THRobinson Wrote: [ -> ]Does KODI play 10bit HVEC?
Yes, upto 8K video if you use Kodi 18 Leia. And it is HEVC, not HVEC. Smile

As most will depend on the graphics performance, your "cheap fanless video card" is probably not up to the task of today's latest video formats.
Also, using any Nvidia GPU in Linux will only get your 8-bit video decoding. Nvidia never really bothered to add support for 10bit video during the VDPAU era. FYI, Nvidia support will be dropped for Kodi/Linux as per LibreELEC 10.

Right now, if your 4K / HEVC / 10 bit video collection is already that extensive, get a cheap Android box to run LibreELEC/CoreELEC. For x86-64 machines, the latest Intel chips are the safest best for now, AMD Ryzen support in Linux is still wobbly AFAIK.
Maybe that's the issue... LibreElec I installed (had OpenElec for the past year and upgraded this month) is running 17.x KODI. It's set to auto-update, maybe I need to get a BETA version to get KODI 18?

Collection wise... so far 0 files.

I had a test 10bit-HEVC (corrected) that was pretty bad so dropped it to an 8-Bit H264 which ran totally fine... old computer but so far the 10-bit H265 was the only thing it wouldn't play. The video card was basically put in because cheap and no noise... gaming I'm all GeForce but otherwise, if I need an AMD I'm fine with switching for that. Would something cheap like a SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6450 1GB 64-bit work?

I'm (soon as in stock again) getting a new TV to replace my 8-10yr old Sony. Dolby HDR, 10-bit colour, 4k, etc... and would like to christen it with something like Infinity War with the best image I can.

I'm just assuming for 10bit HEVC, RaspPi is just a no go. Big Grin

iMac Mini I have I think was a 2016 Corei5, can't look up the specs right now, not at home, but Apple use to favour the ATI cards when I had a MAC, but then again, not ATI now and my mac was before they switched to Intel. 

Android Box wise... assumed Android only but am seeing a few websites on how to install LibreElec onto a cheap Android Box. Might be an option... though, are those boxes any better than a RaspPi 3B+?

Kinda looking at all options simply because realized if I started to put some 10-bit HEVC files onto the server... the living room PC won't play them either so, may need to look at a 2-system upgrade. Also looking at the WD EX2 Ultra for my hard drives... which if I upgrade to my iMac or Android or RaspPi... the 2x3TB 3.5" HDDs will need a new place to connect.
Something like this?

https://www.amazon.ca/Version-DIGOU-Andr...d_wg=sp24n

Cheaper than a video card...
(2019-01-24, 22:27)THRobinson Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe that's the issue... LibreElec I installed (had OpenElec for the past year and upgraded this month) is running 17.x KODI. It's set to auto-update, maybe I need to get a BETA version to get KODI 18?
You can upgrade to beta 003, which is current.

(2019-01-24, 22:27)THRobinson Wrote: [ -> ]Would something cheap like a SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6450 1GB 64-bit work?
For HEVC or 10 bit? No. 4K probably not either. HEVC is only available since some 2 years.

(2019-01-24, 22:27)THRobinson Wrote: [ -> ]though, are those boxes any better than a RaspPi 3B+?
Technically yes, a RPi gpu only does 1080p and has only (via blood, sweat and neat tricks) HEVC support for low-bitrate videos.
Most Android boxes can do 4K and 10bit easily, and some do HDR nicely as well.
The Raspberry Pi however has by far the biggest world wide support and is usually stable as a rock.
(2019-01-24, 22:33)THRobinson Wrote: [ -> ]Something like this?
Of course you can choose the cheapest box out there, but there is also that thing called support. Personally, if I hadn't already owned a Nvidia Shield TV, I would have a look at the Vero 4K+ device. You can find various user reviews on the Internet to get a decent impression.
Hacking an Android box and installing LibreElec... how would that work support wise? I would assume once wiped and installed with LibreElec, they'd basically hang up the phone. Like having an unsupported add-on on Kodi and asking for help in the forum. Big Grin

I assumed when you said get a cheap Android box, that's what you meant... some generic cheap box under $60. 

Holy cow... Vero 4K+ is $199.99CAD... not what I'd call a cheap Android box at all. NVidia Sheild $229....  we have a different definition of 'cheap'...  Big Grin

Though once I add HDR to the search string, it jumps up to around the $90 mark. Will have to do some researching... until today I assumed an Android box was Android only, so never gave them a second glance.
I have no idea what prices are in your area, what is possible via foreign purchase orders...

If you want some reading, you can also start here: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916
Ya foreign I try to avoid, simply because either shows up in 2 months, or not at all. Especially eBay from China. More often than not now, when I hop on eBay, I click to to show North America only, which often costs much more, but, at least I actually get it. Sadly Amazon is now as bad... unless says ships from Amazon, it could come from anywhere. Finding the seller location is usually hidden. Very annoying.

I was looking at something like

https://www.amazon.ca/Android-T95Z-MAX-E...id+Box+3GB

More than initially wanted to spend, but, S912.... and instead of 1GB Quad, jumps to a 3GB Octacore. Maybe overkill getting Octacore? From what I read I guess stay away from the RK3328 if planning to go LibreElec because still in testing/beta?

Lots of small important details to comb through though... like some say HD some say UltraHD... TV I am getting is DolbyHD so hoping that or better. Just small things in the description that's hard to sort between hype and legit terms. Sadly Amazon's filtering is not that great. Big Grin
Well, just saw BestBuy.ca has the Beelink GT1 Ultimate, 3GB ram, 32GB, Octacore on $71 off. I guess last year's model, says Android 6 not 7, and artwork a bit different than the current version. I suspect since specs read the same, it's the same thing, older OS pre-installed. Checking Beelink now to see if can update it. Looks like a 2 month warranty on this stuff so, will use it for then before I wipe it out. Smile

Seen that brand mentioned a lot, and something sold at big box store so, less generic than eBay stuff where the company has no website. I think for my stuff, it'll do pretty well (?). Big Grin

Thanks for the help/info.
(2019-01-24, 21:55)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-01-24, 20:44)THRobinson Wrote: [ -> ]Does KODI play 10bit HVEC?
That's good to read - but I am still not fully clear on all the prerequisites (apologize if those have been answered elsewhere in this forum, but there seems to be a lot outdated / contradicting information).

So, my questions are: 

On the SW side (based on Linux):
  • is the dependency actually on Kodi 18 or on any of the underlying libraries (ffmpeg?) instead, and Kodi 17.x would work as well? Reason I am asking is, Kodi 18 is not yet available as a rpm package for my Linux distribution
On the HW side (Intel core i):
  • Is Kabylake or later actually required for HW accelerated 10bit decoding or would a Skylake be sufficient (Skylake is supposed to do 10bit in "hybrid mode" - but I am not really sure what that means)
(2019-01-24, 21:55)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-01-24, 20:44)THRobinson Wrote: [ -> ]Does KODI play 10bit h265,HEVC in Raspberry Pi 4?

As most will depend on the graphics performance, your "cheap fanless video card" is probably not up to the task of today's latest video formats.
Also, using any Nvidia GPU in Linux will only get your 8-bit video decoding. Nvidia never really bothered to add support for 10bit video during the VDPAU era. FYI, Nvidia support will be dropped for Kodi/Linux as per LibreELEC 10.

Right now, if your 4K / HEVC / 10 bit video collection is already that extensive, get a cheap Android box to run LibreELEC/CoreELEC. For x86-64 machines, the latest Intel chips are the safest best for now, AMD Ryzen support in Linux is still wobbly AFAIK.
Does KODI play 10bit h265, HEVC in Raspberry Pi 4 ?
(2020-11-08, 06:32)YURIART Wrote: [ -> ]Does KODI play 10bit h265, HEVC in Raspberry Pi 4 ?

Yes. But the overall development on the RPi4 software is still ongoing.
I mainly use the Raspberry Pi as a video media player to watch movies or videos in my tv from my 2tb external hard drive.
i use Kodi as the multimedia player in Rasp Pi 
i had the Rasp Pi 3 it worked fine for h264 and 1080p videos , but it could not play, 4k, h265, hevc, and even FLAC video files.
also it was not able to read my other external 8tb hard drive.
so i bought the Rasp Pi 4,  hoping that it is more powerful and can play those video formats. as well as read my 8th ext drive
can anyone verify
or help so i am able to play those video formats i mentioned

would greatly appreciate it

thank you
Pages: 1 2