Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi Matrix 19.0 HDR Edition
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2019-11-04, 20:26)fandangos Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe I'm confusing you with someone else but your Ryzen was working correctly with 2.9.1, right?
Correct - it activate HDR (without bt.2020) on play

the as.xml did nothing, but the live tv crashed everytime with every renderer. didn't tryed without as.xml until now.
i will try again tomorrow - i have to get up in some hours again.
I have intel nuc7 that can do hdr I’ll try and have a play this week for intel testing
(2019-11-05, 01:06)orby Wrote: [ -> ]I have intel nuc7 that can do hdr I’ll try and have a play this week for intel testing

Thanks Orby.

I've spent several hours today experimenting with the hdr code for intel and it doesn't behave well.

I think the best solution for Intel would be some button pressing to turn hdr on and off. Going to work on it more tomorrow.
Version 2.9.3 released.

I believe this version will make everyone happy.
For a quick changelog read in the first page here I'll explain a little better the changes.

So the user _DMU_ supplied us with the source code and a compiled exe that was able to toggle Windows HDR ON and OFF. 
I've tried to add the code to Kodi itself to merge and use it automatically just like Nvidia and AMD but the code would crash Kodi not matter what I tried.
The solution for this is to use the pre compiled exe file so if that would crash it would already have changed the Windows HDR state from ON to OFF or vice versa.

I've tried to create my own key combination but this did not work, so I replaced the screenshot feature that works during video playback and in the GUI Menus to toggle HDR on and OFF.
I've set this to CTRL+H press once to enable HDR and press again while it is on to disable it.
You can change the key combination for anything you like in the file:
Program Files\Kodi\System\keymaps\keyboard.xml
Changing the line:
<h mod="ctrl">Screenshot</h>

Since Kodi while building the installer will not add .exe files you will need to get it here:
https://github.com/fandangos/xbmc/blob/m...Config.exe
And place in your installation folder that is normally located here:
C:\Program Files\Kodi

Without this .exe file ctrl+h will do nothing. 

This is ONLY needed for Intel iGPU users since Intel doesn't have a public API that we can use and for problematic Ryzens that refuse to put the TV into BT.2020 mode. 
All other AMD and Nvidia users can use this latest version normally. 

I have removed a bunch of unnneded past stuff from RendererBase.

All the changes are available on github for anyone to check the source code.
Including the source for DisplayConfig.exe.

Hope this fix everything for everyone Smile
So who has a gpu amd or nvidia doesn't need to enter "DisplayConfig.exe" !!! can use version 2.9.3 directly?
First of all, thanks for the incredible work Fandangos.

I've done some testing with the following.

Kodi Matrix 19.0 HDR Edition v2.9.3

Samsung UE55KS8000
Onkyo TX-NR646

Intel NUC Kit NUC7i5BNK
Bios v0080
Graphics: Intel Iris Plus 640 v24.20.100.6286
Windows 10 x64 Pro v1903
HDMI Firmware updated to v1.72 as per:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/...-kits.html

Zotac EN1070
Bios v2K190418
Graphics nVidia GTX 1070 v441.12
Windows 10 x64 Pro v1903

First all all bitstreaming all HD audio tracks like Dolby Atmos and DTS:X works fine when using WASAPI for both Intel and nVidia.

Out of the box the nVidia version works perfectly and looks amazing streaming 4K HDR content from my NAS. Upgraded from v2.9.2 to v2.9.3 without issue.

On the Intel side it was a little more to work with. I tried v2.9.2 first of all and had multiple buffering crash to desktops due to using a slower network connection than gigabit. Once I fixed this the streaming worked fine and the content was displayed in HDR but the playback was stuttery.
I updated to 2.9.3 and tried again except this time HDR wouldn't display. I had to fully remove Kodi (used Revo Uninstaller to clear out the debris from the install) and tried again with a fresh 2.9.3 install and HDR playback was restored and playback is smooth now.

In my opinion the picture quality wasn't on par with the nVidia but the TV recognised the HDR signal so thats the main point. I did have to go into the video settings and drop the brightness down to 45% instead of 50% as the pictures was to washed out otherwise.

Anyway I hope this helps look forward to monitoring your developments. Once again, thanks for your efforts.
(2019-11-05, 17:43)giulianoprs Wrote: [ -> ]So who has a gpu amd or nvidia doesn't need to enter "DisplayConfig.exe" !!! can use version 2.9.3 directly?

Yes, just install it and enjoy the only downside of version 2.9.3 is that it doesn't have screenshots.
(2019-11-05, 18:20)GrimGriefer Wrote: [ -> ]First of all, thanks for the incredible work Fandangos.

I've done some testing with the following.

Kodi Matrix 19.0 HDR Edition v2.9.3

Samsung UE55KS8000
Onkyo TX-NR646

Intel NUC Kit NUC7i5BNK
Bios v0080
Graphics: Intel Iris Plus 640 v24.20.100.6286
Windows 10 x64 Pro v1903
HDMI Firmware updated to v1.72 as per:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/...-kits.html

Zotac EN1070
Bios v2K190418
Graphics nVidia GTX 1070 v441.12
Windows 10 x64 Pro v1903

First all all bitstreaming all HD audio tracks like Dolby Atmos and DTS:X works fine when using WASAPI for both Intel and nVidia.

Out of the box the nVidia version works perfectly and looks amazing streaming 4K HDR content from my NAS. Upgraded from v2.9.2 to v2.9.3 without issue.

On the Intel side it was a little more to work with. I tried v2.9.2 first of all and had multiple buffering crash to desktops due to using a slower network connection than gigabit. Once I fixed this the streaming worked fine and the content was displayed in HDR but the playback was stuttery.
I updated to 2.9.3 and tried again except this time HDR wouldn't display. I had to fully remove Kodi (used Revo Uninstaller to clear out the debris from the install) and tried again with a fresh 2.9.3 install and HDR playback was restored and playback is smooth now.

In my opinion the picture quality wasn't on par with the nVidia but the TV recognised the HDR signal so thats the main point. I did have to go into the video settings and drop the brightness down to 45% instead of 50% as the pictures was to washed out otherwise.

Anyway I hope this helps look forward to monitoring your developments. Once again, thanks for your efforts.

Thank you for your input since I don't own a Intel capable hdr cpu I have to rely on other people tests.

Intel as far as I know works perfectly with hdr as long as you turn windows hdr on before opening Kodi.
So using DisplayConfig.exe you can press CTRL+H from within Kodi at anytime and turn windows HDR ON and OFF.

Have you tested with DisplayConfig? Does it enable HDR on your tv using Intel output?
(2019-10-14, 18:08)m1dy Wrote: [ -> ]Is anyone using Plex with this Kodi fork?

Using latest version of Kodi 19.0 HDR (2.8)
Whites are overblown for me when I play a HDR movie with PlexKodiConnect or the official Plex add-on. If I play exactly the same file from a local path everything's fine. 

I only Direct Play so it is exactly the same file as my local test file the player gets. 
Kodi 17 DSPlayer and Kodi 18 with external Player don't have this problem for me. 
Maybe the max brightness isn't determined correctly when getting the file from an add-on or something like that? 

Can someone who is using Plex with Kodi test if you get the same results? In the first few minutes of the movie "Alien: Covenant" this "white blowout" becomes particularly apparent.
OK I think I found a bug. 
In fact the Plex addons don't have anything to do with what I described. 

If you change subtitles for a movie and try to play that movie again you get blownout whites like I described. 

Could reproduce it on a fresh install with a local hdr file. 

Maybe it has something to do with kodi saving settings for the movie if you change something?

Before I changed subtitles:

After changing subtitles and stopped and played movie again:
(2019-11-06, 17:05)m1dy Wrote: [ -> ]

Whites are overblown for me when I play a HDR movie with PlexKodiConnect or the official Plex add-on. If I play exactly the same file from a local path everything's fine. 

I only Direct Play so it is exactly the same file as my local test file the player gets. 
Kodi 17 DSPlayer and Kodi 18 with external Player don't have this problem for me. 
Maybe the max brightness isn't determined correctly when getting the file from an add-on or something like that? 

Can someone who is using Plex with Kodi test if you get the same results? In the first few minutes of the movie "Alien: Covenant" this "white blowout" becomes particularly apparent.

If you change subtitles for a movie and try to play that movie again you get blownout whites like I described. 

Maybe it has something to do with kodi saving settings for the movie if you change something?

Are you on AMD?
I can't reproduce this on Nvidia here and I can't test with AMD hardware at the moment.
Found a Bug in 2.9.3: The Video Image is heavy trembleling sometimes when playing HDR Videos.
Also the same in 2.8 but way way less common

GTX 1650
(2019-11-07, 16:30)fandangos Wrote: [ -> ]Are you on AMD?
I can't reproduce this on Nvidia here and I can't test with AMD hardware at the moment.

I'm on Nvidia. GTX 960. 
This didn't seem like a problem that's only on specific hardware so I forgot to mention it. 

Maybe it's only a problem with certain rips? But in my case I tried a bluray remux so it isn't some exotic format or something...
I take this opportunity to thank all those who have this version of kodi. I would like to ask a question how do I realize that I am viewing a hdr video, since I am not sure if my PC has this function. Thanks again. regards
(2019-07-28, 16:43)brazen1 Wrote: [ -> ]I take this opportunity to thank all those who have this version of kodi. I would like to ask a question how do I realize that I am viewing a hdr video, since I am not sure if my PC has this function. Thanks again. regards
(2019-11-07, 16:30)fandangos Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-11-06, 17:05)m1dy Wrote: [ -> ]

Are you on AMD?
@fandangos Please try to reproduce this bug again.

Just tested it with another pc (Laptop with gtx1660ti). Exactly the same problem as my desktop pc with gtx960. 
A movie works as long you didn't change any settings while playing it. If you change anything (audiotrack, subtitles, upscale method, etc...) it will be too bright the next times you play it. If you delete the video database (MyVideos116.db) that (besides other things) saves these changes the movie will work again with correct color. I checked multiple different movies and it was all the same. 
For both PCs I did a fresh install and tested multiple movies that were on my hdd. 

Couldn't test another tv as I only have one HDR tv. It's a Sony X9005F. But that shouldn't matter as it can't be the TV.