Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi Matrix 19.0 HDR Edition
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2019-11-08, 12:28)m1dy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-11-07, 16:30)fandangos Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-11-06, 17:05)m1dy Wrote: [ -> ]OK I think I found a bug. 
In fact the Plex addons don't have anything to do with what I described. 

If you change subtitles for a movie and try to play that movie again you get blownout whites like I described. 

Could reproduce it on a fresh install with a local hdr file. 

Maybe it has something to do with kodi saving settings for the movie if you change something?

Before I changed subtitles:

After changing subtitles and stopped and played movie again:

Are you on AMD?
I can't reproduce this on Nvidia here and I can't test with AMD hardware at the moment. 
@fandangos Please try to reproduce this bug again.

Just tested it with another pc (Laptop with gtx1660ti). Exactly the same problem as my desktop pc with gtx960. 
A movie works as long you didn't change any settings while playing it. If you change anything (audiotrack, subtitles, upscale method, etc...) it will be too bright the next times you play it. If you delete the video database (MyVideos116.db) that (besides other things) saves these changes the movie will work again with correct color. I checked multiple different movies and it was all the same. 
For both PCs I did a fresh install and tested multiple movies that were on my hdd. 

Couldn't test another tv as I only have one HDR tv. It's a Sony X9005F. But that shouldn't matter as it can't be the TV.

Not sure what is going on with your setup.

Started the video, changed subtitle, stopped and resumed.
Everything is fine.
(2019-11-07, 16:30)fandangos Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-11-06, 17:05)m1dy Wrote: [ -> ]OK I think I found a bug. 
In fact the Plex addons don't have anything to do with what I described. 

If you change subtitles for a movie and try to play that movie again you get blownout whites like I described. 

Could reproduce it on a fresh install with a local hdr file. 

Maybe it has something to do with kodi saving settings for the movie if you change something?

Before I changed subtitles:

After changing subtitles and stopped and played movie again:

Are you on AMD?
I can't reproduce this on Nvidia here and I can't test with AMD hardware at the moment.    

Just tested it with another pc (Laptop with gtx1660ti). Exactly the same problem as my desktop pc with gtx960. 
A movie works as long you didn't change any settings while playing it. If you change anything (audiotrack, subtitles, upscale method, etc...) it will be too bright the next times you play it. If you delete the video database (MyVideos116.db) that (besides other things) saves these changes the movie will work again with correct color. I checked multiple different movies and it was all the same. 
For both PCs I did a fresh install and tested multiple movies that were on my hdd. 

Couldn't test another tv as I only have one HDR tv. It's a Sony X9005F. But that shouldn't matter as it can't be the TV. 

Hallo
Sometimes the same problem here. If i change any Videooption (subtitles,etc.) like above, the tonemapping is sometimes activated, too. When i switch tonemapping off, the colors are fine again. AMD Ryzen with Samsung TV. And like gee11 my picture is trembleling sometimes. Sorry for my bad english....
I'm working on a update for Intel, I'll set tonemapping to false on CheckVideoParameters and hopefully it will fix your problem. 
It's really hard to work a bug that you cannot replicate so all I can is change a part of the code that I believe is the cause and hope for it to get fixed.
(2019-11-08, 13:51)nobbynose Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-11-07, 16:30)fandangos Wrote: [ -> ]Are you on AMD?

Hallo
Sometimes the same problem here. If i change any Videooption (subtitles,etc.) like above, the tonemapping is sometimes activated, too. When i switch tonemapping off, the colors are fine again. AMD Ryzen with Samsung TV. And like gee11 my picture is trembleling sometimes. Sorry for my bad english.... 
Yes!
Tonemapping gets activated for me too. That was the problem. If I deactivate everything's back to normal. 
But for me it's not sometimes but for every movie. But once I turned tonemapping off for a movie it will not get turned back on for this movie even if I change subtitles, audiotrack, etc... 
Don't know maybe helps...

Thanks for looking into it fandangos!
And my video is "trembleling" sometimes too. Like every 5-20 minutes...

Just noticed you can't edit posts here?
(2019-11-08, 14:18)m1dy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-11-08, 12:28)m1dy Wrote: [ -> ]@fandangos Please try to reproduce this bug again.

Hallo
Yes!
Tonemapping gets activated for me too. That was the problem. If I deactivate everything's back to normal. 
But for me it's not sometimes but for every movie. But once I turned tonemapping off for a movie it will not get turned back on for this movie even if I change subtitles, audiotrack, etc... 
Don't know maybe helps...

Thanks for looking into it fandangos! 

No problem, I'm compiling a new release as we speak with tonemapping set to off when RendererBase is checking the video settings again. 
This might solve your problem. Give me a few minutes, it will also be a cool update for Intel users Smile
(2019-11-07, 16:30)fandangos Wrote: [ -> ]Are you on AMD?

Hallo
Just disable the senseless tonemappign and make it as default for all videos.. problem solved..
trembleling is very bad too if i try to adjust the windows Volume .. maybe tonight a will upload a video.

trembleling occures only when HDR is ON by the way

And i dont understand why the Kodi 19 Dev team still dont fixed the seeking on interlaced (TV RECORDS) material.. its SUCH A FUNDAMENTAL FUNCTION -.-
Version 3.0 released!

Ok time for another update, as usual for small quick read find the changelog in the first post for a more detailed read there you go:

I was able to reproduce and fix the issue that Tonemapping would be set to ON after changing a few settings on the video like subtitles and audio tracks.

Now the big update is that user _DMU_ dropped the source code for an exe that would toggle Windows OS HDR ON and OFF by changing some registry settings just like Windows does when it activates and deactivates HDR.
I've tried to add the code itself to Kodi but that would result in several crashes. So I used the .exe and set ctrl+H to activate and deactivate Windows HDR. 
This was done because the way the .exe works, if you click once it would turn on, click again turn off. 
So I was able to recompile it and split it into two, one to turn on and one to turn off. 
This is cool for Intel users because it won't do anything if a non-HDR movie is played but will be triggered in the background when a HDR movie is turned on and the other .exe file to turn HDR off will be triggered when the movie ends or even when you start watching a non-hdr movie. 

Also it was needed for the end user to download this files, this is not needed anymore, those are part of the installation of version 3.0.

Another updated is that I'm aware that some people use this project to base their projects on and some changes I made would cause black screen on non HDR displays.
So now when using DXVA renderer it will look if the display is capable of displaying HDR and only if it does, it will use BT.2020. 
This means anyone can use this build, not just HDR users, clearly there's no benefit over official kodi.

When working on this I was able to have dessaturated colors with a very specific bt.2020 color space. 
There are several to choose from, it's not just bt.2020, you have to select 2, one when users have full dynamic range (known as PC range 0-255) or video range 16-235.
You can see the entire list here:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows...space_type

This is a tedious work because you need to find one that works for Nvidia, go back and put the AMD card and check, find one that works for both...
So in the end DXGI_COLOR_SPACE_RGB_STUDIO_G2084_NONE_P2020 and DXGI_COLOR_SPACE_RGB_FULL_G2084_NONE_P2020 worked for both NV and AMD.
I guess now there's nothing holding Ryzen back from working as it should.

One other thing is that exposing the HDR10 DirectX object crashes AMD. Since this is only needed for intel it will only be set when Intel iGPU is detected. 

Please, test it out and let me know, not only what is wrong but if it works for you Smile
No trembeling fix? 😔
(2019-11-08, 22:24)Gee11 Wrote: [ -> ]No trembeling fix? 😔

Do a clean install, remove the previews installation including your roaming user data folder and try it.
I don't have any trembling here. 

If you still have this issue, please, explain in detail how can I reproduce it here.
https://youtu.be/mwM6T_Zz4uA

Here is my trembling

only occours on h264 and h265 with and without HDR

not occours on live tv (interlaced), also tv records (50Hz ycbcr)

latest win 10 and nvidia drivers GTX 1650 with all settings testet e.g. Fullscreen window and native Fullscreen. RGB 23,9Hz Full Range

no trembling on AMD RX 590
(2019-11-09, 04:00)Gee11 Wrote: [ -> ]https://youtu.be/mwM6T_Zz4uA

Here is my trembling

only occours on h264 and h265 with and without HDR

not occours on live tv (interlaced), also tv records (50Hz ycbcr)

latest win 10 and nvidia drivers GTX 1650 with all settings testet e.g. Fullscreen window and native Fullscreen. RGB 23,9Hz Full Range

no trembling on AMD RX 590

same for me !
When you change the volume, the screen refresh rate returns to the same Windows setting
When you return to the movie, it returns to the movie refresh rate

i think this issue because Automatic refresh rate switcher for Kodi
try off this option
@fandangos v3 fixed everything for me thank you!

@Gee11 I had a similar tremble like you but not as frequent as for you. Like I said only every ~10 min maybe. 
I don't have them anymore but I don't know if it's gone because I updated drivers or because of v3.0.
(2019-11-09, 10:54)m1dy Wrote: [ -> ]@fandangos v3 fixed everything for me thank you!

That's really good to hear! Smile