Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Managing music albums Box-Sets properly with KODI library feature
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
(2020-10-13, 20:50)DaveBlake Wrote: [ -> ]If you want it to be taken as a boxset and appear on the boxset node then <...> have to include "boxset" in the album type (read from tag RELEASETYPE in .FLAC or custom type "MUSICBRAINZ ALBUM TYPE" for .mp3 or <type> in album.nfo)

<...>

The durations shown I am going to need to do some more investigation.

Thank you for your explanation! I've put both CD rip folder and the HiRes files folder into the same parent folder and now it shows the correct art for this album with two discs (ok, let it be so Wink). But it still shows the same time for both discs. Are you experiencing the same? Btw, I have this glitch with the durations with all Boxsets and two disc albums (once again let it be so).

I have several two-discs boxsets. Like this and this. No problem to set those boxsets manually. But they are still boxsets while both have just 2 discs each. There are lots of other "2 Originals of" series boxsets out there.

But I would better have the possibility to exclude 3 and more disc sets from the Boxsets node. Otherwise it considers every 3 and more disc release as the boxset and the node becomes useless as it is overflooded with the boxsets which are not boxsets.
(2020-10-13, 01:26)garfield Wrote: [ -> ]
  1. Sometimes Boxset ignores the cover arts from its disc folders and display the default icon (the huge one) for video files for every one of its discs, it also requires to recreate the database

Here is what I have meant:

Every boxset's album folder contains a proper folder.jpg file. Database recreation doesn't help this time. Corrected from the second attempt.
I've placed the cover art for PRO-CD-101656 in the wrong folder and later moved (not copied) it to the correct 0093624283126 one.

I've rescaned/cleaned/recreated the database several times but the wrong cover art was existing for the wrong disc until the Thumbnails folder was deleted and the database rescanned.

After rescanning the database the 0093624283126 folder has not adopted the default boxset's cover art and shows the movie icon instead:

@garfield with those image issues I think you are running into expected behaviour related to the texture caching. Moving/renaming local art is not immediately picked up by the cache. I'm not going to get into a deep explanation as to why it does what it does here because even if you don't like it a refactoring of texture cache design isn't going to happen any time soon.

We designed the boxset/multi-disc album facility like it is to be as flexible as possible and yet automatic and useable for novice users. It may not exactly suit your use, but what you want to do (gather releases together as an album, or singles as a set) is more unusual.

(2020-10-13, 21:42)garfield Wrote: [ -> ]Picard writes SETSUBTITLE tag for MP3 files for disc subtitle. It works fine with Kodi 19 α2.
Setting this tag with MP3tag also works fine.
TSST doesn't work either set via Picard nor via MP3tag. ID3v2.4 both.
Tag naming is confuisng you, let me try to clarify. 
Each metadata format has it's own name for each tag, for example disc subtitle is held in DISCSUBTITLE in APE and Vorbis (.flac), TSST in ID3 v2.4 (.mp3) and "WM/SetSubTitle"  in ASF. 
Tagging software uses its own choice of label for each tag regardless of format and displays that in the UI (not the actual format specific tag name). For example the tag with disc subtitle data is called "SETSUBTITLE" by Mp3Tag, "Disc Subtitle" by Picard for all metadata formats.
When talking about tag use in Kodi I tend to use the Vorbis (.flac) format tag name e.g. DISCSUBTITLE because it is generally more descriptive than the others. It is up to users to understand how this translates to using their tagging software.

At first you claimed that .mp3 files didn't support disc subtitle. This is incorrect, the ID3v2.4 format does support disc subtitle.
Then you claimed that TSST didn't work. This is incorrect, TSST is the internal tag name in ID3v2.4 format for disc subtitle and Kodi reads and uses that tag. However when using tagging software you need to enter the value for this tag under the name that the software uses for this tag (that isn't TSST).
Just to add, there is a bug in the way album duration is handled when the music files of the album are located down separate multiiple levels of folders in the way yours are. Good to know that, and something I will fix in due course.
(2020-10-14, 09:22)DaveBlake Wrote: [ -> ]Moving/renaming local art is not immediately picked up by the cache.

I just wanted to say it is not picked up at initial run sometimes, with neither MyMusic81.db file nor Thumbnails folder exist. But as it is expected behavior, then I think there is no reason to continue reporting it.

(2020-10-14, 09:22)DaveBlake Wrote: [ -> ]Tag naming is confuisng you

Indeed. Especially because MP3tag doesn't offer DISCSUBTITLE and sets it only in case it was entered manually. Thank you for the explanation, really useful info.
May I respectfully suggest that the conversion with user garfield be split into its own thread? Leaving it here will make it hard for other users to drill down on relevant info since this seems to be a very individual case.
did this get fully integrated into kodi 19?

i have discs being broken up nicely in multi disc albums, but I am not getting the "boxsets" node in music library as I did in an early beta

Maybe i need to re-scrape the metadata since upgrading?
(2021-03-14, 17:21)dm21912 Wrote: [ -> ]did this get fully integrated into kodi 19?

Yes, it did.
(2021-03-14, 17:21)dm21912 Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe i need to re-scrape the metadata since upgrading?

If you are using the same music db that you did with the early beta's then that data should still be there and the node created.  Re-scanning however would make sure that the relevant tags are indeed read and stored.
(2021-03-15, 09:54)black_eagle Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-03-14, 17:21)dm21912 Wrote: [ -> ]did this get fully integrated into kodi 19?

Yes, it did.
(2021-03-14, 17:21)dm21912 Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe i need to re-scrape the metadata since upgrading?

If you are using the same music db that you did with the early beta's then that data should still be there and the node created.  Re-scanning however would make sure that the relevant tags are indeed read and stored.

yeh, rescanning is picking them. taken two overnight scans and still not got my whole library rescanned yet as its hanging at various points, my collection isnt huge, maybe 2000 album s on nfs share but its really struggling with the rescan
(2021-03-16, 15:54)dm21912 Wrote: [ -> ]its really struggling with the rescan

Hmmm, scanning the tags themselves should be not too bad, it's the scraping of additional info (if you need to) that generally takes most of the time.
I believe I discovered a bug, but I was not able to understand what is the best way to signal it, sorry.
I had prepared for scanning Pink Floyd - The Later Years. It has 4 discs, and disc 2 and disc 3 have the same DISCSUBTITLE (Delicate Sound of Thunder). As a results of the scanning process, disc 3 is ignored and disc 4 is wrongly scanned. After many attempts to try to understand, I changed the DISCSUBTITLE of disc 3 by adding a space at the end, thus making it fictitiously different from disc 2, and it works fine now. I hope this helps.
(2021-03-21, 13:08)pierocol Wrote: [ -> ]I believe I discovered a bug, but I was not able to understand what is the best way to signal it, sorry.
I had prepared for scanning Pink Floyd - The Later Years. It has 4 discs, and disc 2 and disc 3 have the same DISCSUBTITLE (Delicate Sound of Thunder). As a results of the scanning process, disc 3 is ignored and disc 4 is wrongly scanned. After many attempts to try to understand, I changed the DISCSUBTITLE of disc 3 by adding a space at the end, thus making it fictitiously different from disc 2, and it works fine now. I hope this helps.

Hmmm, you shouldn't have to do that, Kodi should put disc 2 & disc 3 together under 'Delicate Sound of Thunder'.  Taking Pink Floyd - A Tree Full of Secrets as an example, there are 18 discs in the set.  I have named disc 1 & 2 the same, disc 3 & 4 etc etc.  In Kodi, this gives me 9 entries + the stuff off the data disc.

Some example screenshots.

Opening volume 2 gives me this (note the disc number on the left for the selected track)

Moving to the next track I get disc 4, track 1 (again, note the disc number on the left)

So, Kodi should put both discs together under 'Delicate Sound of Thunder' and you should end up with three entries, disc 1, disc 2&3 and disc 4. I'll have to see if I can get hold of that anyway as it is missing from my Floyd collection! Then I can see what happens here when I scan it.
The Box-Sets management feature has been a great improvement to the way Kodi manages my collection of music files.  Thank you for doing that.
I have one weird occurrence, however, and I wonder if someone could shed light.
I have two separate albums, bought as CD's at different times, that have different album art.  Bach English Suites, Volume 1 and Bach English Suites, Volume 2, both by Glenn Gould.  Before I upgraded to Matrix, these displayed as distinct albums, each with it's correct album art.
At some point, these CDs were also marketed as a 2CD set, with album art different from that of the separate albums.
In Matrix, the albums display as discrete albums, but the album art displayed for both albums is that from the 2CDE set.
Under settings, I have;
- Prefer online information (music)  OFF
- Prefer online album art (music)  OFF
- Default provider for album information (music) General Album Scraper.
Having confirmed those settings, I removed the folders from the scanned set, cleaned the database, moved the folders back into the scanned set and re-updated.  The display stayed the same.
Each folder has always contained its own album art in a file called cover.jpg.
I would really like to know:
1) given the settings, where Kodi is getting the 2CD art from,
2) why it is displaying it (given the settings), and
3) how I can force it to display the correct art for each album?
(2021-07-23, 16:28)Chasewood333 Wrote: [ -> ]1) given the settings, where Kodi is getting the 2CD art from,
2) why it is displaying it (given the settings), and
3) how I can force it to display the correct art for each album?

1 & 2 I can't answer at the moment, maybe @DaveBlake can offer some insight there.

For 3, open your library and navigate to an album showing the wrong art. Press <i> or otherwise open the album info dialog and click on the "Choose art" button. The first entry should be labelled "Thumbnail" and will be the wrong cover. It will also be highlighted. Click on it or otherwise select it and you will get a dialog box with entries of (at least)
  • Current art
  • Local art
  • No art
  • Browse...

If "local art" shows the correct album cover then click on that.  If not, select "browse..." and in the next dialog box choose "*item folder".  This will take you to the directory containing the songs for that particular album. Assuming your directory does indeed contain "folder.jpg" then you should now be able to select that.  The "Choose art" dialog box will now appear again and should now show the correct art.  Press <back> or <esc> to close the dialog and go back to the music library which should now show the correct cover for that particular album.

In the main, art works really well, but occasionally Kodi may need a "prod" to get it to show the right stuff.  Fortunately, this isn't difficult to do for the odd instance when it's needed.

HTH
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24