Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Feedback - No Dolby Vision, resuming video not working
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi folks,

First off, congratulations on what you're doing regarding Kodi, this is the greatest tool ever and I thank you for supporting it and making it available to folks like me.

I have just installed KODI 19 Beta 1, in the hope that Dolby Vision would be supported. It has not worked out yet.

For a bit of background, I am using an MKV file of the latest copy of The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring in 4K DV. The MKV image was make thanks to MakeMKV using the official Bluray. I think it's important to note that I have also tried to use the M2TS file directly from the bluray, but it would not play on KODI 18.9, so I moved to the MKV file instead, still no luck, then tried the MKV on KODI 19. Lastly, using the Bluray player straight to the TV, DV works fine. I have also tried The Matrix, to no avail either.

I am using an Nvidia Shield Pro 2020, with a Sony X900f, all fully compatible Dolby Vision (works with the Bluray player, and Netflix).

Also, resuming a video does not work. The sound does not play and the image does not show.
DV only works in an mp4 or mov container currently.

Kodi + Shield + Dolby Vision
(2020-12-06, 11:57)Hitcher Wrote: [ -> ]DV only works in an mp4 or mov container currently.

Hi, Thanks for the answer.

I have tried an MP4 version of my bluray using DVDFab, with the support option for Dolby Vision checked, to no avail on KODI 19 Beta 1. I have not tried .mov.

I have tried the .mkv version from MakeMKV with Plex, and Dolby Vision does work with no issue.

Let me know if I can do any other testing that could help, I'd be glad to give a hand.
It needs to be single layer.
(2020-12-13, 10:55)Hitcher Wrote: [ -> ]It needs to be single layer.

How does that affect the MP4? Mind elaborating a bit?
(2020-12-06, 11:57)Hitcher Wrote: [ -> ]DV only works in an mp4 or mov container currently.

So Kodi is currently capable of playing SL DV remuxes in these containers? Hopefully mkv will be on the way soon!

Edit: Thanks for that link, now i'm up to speed on the Kodi, DV with MKV, ffmpeg situation. Appreciate the info!