Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Does Kodi play WMA videos?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm running Kodi 18.3 on a Raspberry Pi 3B+. Will this play WMA videos? Is there a list of supported video formats?

BobbymgTD
New to the Forum
(2021-01-23, 20:35)bobbymgTD Wrote: [ -> ]I'm running Kodi 18.3 on a Raspberry Pi 3B+. Will this play WMA videos? Is there a list of supported video formats?

BobbymgTD
New to the Forum
I have an equivalent setting, as of today I can play mp4, avi, most mkv, mp3, some flv, (haven't tried webm or webp). If there is a list of supported format and/or why some files of certain formats works and other don't, I'm also interested.
Cheers
Do you have a link to an example wma file that is free of copyright?
I thought the A in WMA was for "Audio" perhaps the files are named wrong?

Martin
(2021-01-23, 20:35)bobbymgTD Wrote: [ -> ]Will this play WMA videos?
(2021-01-23, 20:56)emveepee Wrote: [ -> ]I thought the A in WMA was for "Audio" perhaps the files are named wrong?

WMA = Windows Media Audio file.
WMV = the video equivalent.

A file with the WMA file extension is a Windows Media Audio file. Also developed by Microsoft is the Windows Media Video file format, which uses the WMV extension. ASF is a video and audio container format also developed by Microsoft that often contains WMA or WMV data.

So what type of file are you trying to play in Kodi?
(2021-01-23, 21:48)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-01-23, 20:35)bobbymgTD Wrote: [ -> ]Will this play WMA videos?
(2021-01-23, 20:56)emveepee Wrote: [ -> ]I thought the A in WMA was for "Audio" perhaps the files are named wrong?

WMA = Windows Media Audio file.
WMV = the video equivalent.

A file with the WMA file extension is a Windows Media Audio file. Also developed by Microsoft is the Windows Media Video file format, which uses the WMV extension. ASF is a video and audio container format also developed by Microsoft that often contains WMA or WMV data.

So what type of file are you trying to play in Kodi?

My mistake, I meant WMV.
(2021-01-23, 20:46)graysky Wrote: [ -> ]Do you have a link to an example wma file that is free of copyright?
I believe WMV files can contain a number of different codecs (in the same way that mp4 and mkv files can) so it may depend on the codec used in the WMV files in question.