Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: RaspberryPi 4 still running after Kodi is shut down
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey,

I have a RaspberryPi 4 with Kodi 19.3 running on it. Whenever I power off Kodi (either manually or automatically via the energy saving mode) Kodi gets shut down and the green light on my RaspberryPi goes out. But the red light on my RaspberryPi keeps glowing and the Raspi is hot whenever I touch it, even hours later.
So it seems that it does not shut down properly and even is doing something because it gets that warm.
Has anybody experienced something similar?

Would appreciate some help Smile

Thanks a lot!
(2021-11-09, 20:35)Maax98 Wrote: [ -> ]I have a RaspberryPi 4 with Kodi 19.3 running on it.

Kodi is not an operation system, but only a single application.
What do you have running on the RPi4:
- LibreELEC
- OSMC
- Xbian
- Raspbian
- Something else?
Further, the LED on the Pi4 will stay lite up regardless of OS shutdown/power up state.
(2021-11-09, 20:37)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-11-09, 20:35)Maax98 Wrote: [ -> ]I have a RaspberryPi 4 with Kodi 19.3 running on it.

Kodi is not an operation system, but only a single application.
What do you have running on the RPi4:
- LibreELEC
- OSMC
- Xbian
- Raspbian
- Something else?

I've got LibreELEC 10.0.1 running on my Raspi.
(2021-11-09, 20:54)graysky Wrote: [ -> ]Further, the LED on the Pi4 will stay lite up regardless of OS shutdown/power up state.

Ok, but why is the Raspi heating up? If it was like in a standby mode it should be pretty cold, because of the idle state.
Could it have something to do with HDMI-CEC? Got an HDMI cable via Micro HDMI adapter connected und my TV uses CEC.
(2021-11-10, 19:23)Maax98 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-11-09, 20:54)graysky Wrote: [ -> ]Further, the LED on the Pi4 will stay lite up regardless of OS shutdown/power up state.

Ok, but why is the Raspi heating up? If it was like in a standby mode it should be pretty cold, because of the idle state.
Could it have something to do with HDMI-CEC? Got an HDMI cable via Micro HDMI adapter connected und my TV uses CEC.

Possibly a silly question, but how are you shutting down the Pi4? Is it really shut down? Can you ssh into it?
I never tried touching the RPi4s... I do not know if they feel "hot" to the touch when powered (running or shutdown).  Since the LED is on when powered down, you still have current flowing into the thing regardless of an OS running.  Further, what is "hot when you touch it?"  Where did you touch it (USB box, CPU, etc)?  There is a gradient of temperature depending on which component you touched.  How hot was it?  You'll need some more quantitative measure of temperature.  Do you have an IR thermometer?
(2021-11-11, 00:55)mcelliott Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-11-10, 19:23)Maax98 Wrote: [ -> ]

Possibly a silly question, but how are you shutting down the Pi4? Is it really shut down? Can you ssh into it?
I'm shutting it down via Kodi. So Kodi provides a Power Off button in a menu and I'm pressing that Smile
(2021-11-11, 12:16)graysky Wrote: [ -> ]I never tried touching the RPi4s... I do not know if they feel "hot" to the touch when powered (running or shutdown).  Since the LED is on when powered down, you still have current flowing into the thing regardless of an OS running.  Further, what is "hot when you touch it?"  Where did you touch it (USB box, CPU, etc)?  There is a gradient of temperature depending on which component you touched.  How hot was it?  You'll need some more quantitative measure of temperature.  Do you have an IR thermometer?

I'm touching the case which is designed to absorb the heat I guess. Maybe the Kodi just does not shut the Pi down completely but sets it in some kind of idle mode. But it's still to warm (not really hot, but warm) for idle mode where it should do nothing.
No, off is is off.  Try a test: boot the pi, ping the pi from another machine.  Confirm that it answers the ping.  Power off from Kodi's menu, repeat the ping.  Does it answer?
Same here.
I'm running a Pi4b with Kodi 19.3 on Libreelec 10.0.1.
After selecting "power off" in Kodi the screen turns off, but my HDD on the USB-Port keeps spinning and the LED on the Ethernet-Port starts blinking rapidly. 
I can wait as long as I want, my HDD and Ethernet never turn off. I always have to pull the plug...kind of annoying with a spinning HDD...
@hojomojobojo - that would be a question for the LibreElec guys on their forum.

It would be the underlying OS (the LibreElec part) that is doing that most likely, rather than Kodi which will be shut down by that point.
Every Pi I know about is powered on as long the input Voltage is given. To really power it down you need to manually (or find a way to do that automatically) disconnect the power. Mine are running 365/24/7 cause power consumtion is that low that I would burn more energy with my next walk to the fridge.

Cheers

L
Hmm, I have the same situation - sorry this essentially might be just look a 'dumb' user question and the linux keyboard hackers roll their eyes.
But when I power it off - with the "Power off" button in Kodi - my intention is:
1.) Shut it down like I shut a TV off.
2.) Have the HD activity turned off with that the safe way also instead of having to Eject the HD from a menu. I would expect if I do shut it down I'll not be able to access the files on the HD via Kodi over the LAN any more.

Now I have used a Amazon Fire remote - which doesn't have a ON/OFF button for Pi/Kodi/LibreElec/... -  so to turn the Pi back on I have to cycle the power supply.
Unless there is any other way to turn it back on after a "Power off"

And if OFF is really OFF - any suggestion why the HD light would keep staying on ? Since mine sometimes also did that as @hojomojobojo reported.

Confused
I repeat myself - Kodi is just an app and doesn't have the ability to turn off the complete power on the device.

That is a function of the underlying OS. In the case of LibreElec, it's the LibreElec part of things as they provide the minimial OS wrapper that goes beneath Kodi and allows the app to run. It's a similar case for OSMC too, although there the OS is much less minimal.

Team Kodi actually does not provide Kodi on the Raspberry Pi at all. The above teams compile the source code for their OS's, with suitable tweaks to get it to run properly and efficiently. Similarly the Pi Foundation team (or at least members of their community sometimes) to similar for Raspberry Pi OS (Raspbian as-was).

So in all cases here, you're asking the wrong people. We (Team Kodi) cannot make a Pi fully shut down as if you've pulled the power cable on it.
Pages: 1 2