Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Audio Sync issues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I have been using the Dsplayer version for years because I do 3D, but wanted to check out the newest stuff so decided to install v19  and use it for everything but 3D as I will probably split the machines that do 3d and everything else.  I noticed that the audio appears off.  Almost like way back in the day where AVI files would always have the audio slightly off.  I am using adjust display to refresh rate and the display is matching and I am using passthrough.
(2022-02-09, 13:24)robl45 Wrote: [ -> ]using adjust display to refresh rate
Audio & Video are in a container and handled separately.  Set for sync & refresh off in the player, see what that does for you. Elucidating your hardware along with a proper debug log might give us some indication.
Hardware is a skylake I3 using intel graphics. goes to Onkyo receiver and out to projector.  As stated, no issue with the Kodi DSplayer version or external mpc BE when I used to use that.  I'm not sure what kind of bug report I need.  Nor am I sure how to do it, I believe previously I had to edit something in a file years ago to turn on debugging.
First, install the log uploader, see here -> https://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:Kodi_Logfile_Uploader

Then, in Kodi go to Settings->system->logging and enable Enable debug logging.  See here -> https://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/System/Logging

Text will appear overlaying the picture at the top.  Quit Kodi, restart and play a file that shows your out of sync issue. Stop the player (don't quit Kodi!) and use the logfile uploader to upload the log.  Post the link it gives you here.  You can now turn off debug logging.
(2022-02-09, 18:04)robl45 Wrote: [ -> ]mpc BE when I used to use that
Of course mpc BE can still be used as an external player. How did my suggestion work out?
I was testing Kodi briefly last night, I will try to install the debugger today or tomorrow.  Its pretty bad, worse on some than others.  DTS films appear worse I think than dolby digital.
So tested again and it works fine.  I think the audio passthrough was turning on and off and I was testing with it off as I have two version of Kodi installed and was switching between them.  Apparently that is messing up the settings each time I load it up.  Is there anyway to fix that?  I have DSplayer that I have used for years and this latest version of Kodi.
(2022-02-13, 21:31)robl45 Wrote: [ -> ]DSplayer that I have used for years and this latest version of Kodi.
Kodi is always thought of as a single home theatre solution, Keeping two iterations make life a bit more challenging but not necessarily an impossibility.  I keep multi versions in Portable mode (wiki) on my desktop for debug and support. When exiting Kodi, handshaking is still in play, if the AVR/TV is shutdown prior then handshaking is broken, default replaces pass-through wasapi and saved for next launch. In that, we have the issue that shutdown must be Kodi first to save the pass-through parameters. Switching between versions with different settings, shouldn't change these settings but hardware dependent issues may arise (thinking AVR/proj) pushing different signals.

Do both iterations 'sometimes work fine?
Both lose settings if I go from one to the other. Settings appear fine if I just stick with one version
(2022-02-13, 23:34)robl45 Wrote: [ -> ]Both lose settings if I go from one to the other
Yes that's the lose of handshaking on the switch presenting the issue. There is a work-round for this in an edid override, this thread talks about resume from sleep, but I would say it might work in your case.
Wouldn’t running one portable fix the issue?
(2022-02-14, 04:07)robl45 Wrote: [ -> ]Wouldn’t running one portable fix the issue?
Once the handshaking is terminated, re-establishment would require a restart. Handshaking is what the industry uses to contain the media into a secure path as a form of protection from hijacking the video stream, both gfx cards and devices on both ends must be HDCP compatible. Player settings, refresh & syc off DXVA wasapi & passthrough might do something.