Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Mass-production of pre-built set-top-box with XBMC for Linux to sell as retail?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Hi,

is there any pre-built hardware avaiable for use with XBMC ? Or is there even something in the plans?

I mean face it - XBMC is by far and I mean really far the best MediaCenter on this planet! I have been using it on my Xbox since Day 1 and so far it has never failed me - except of course with HD material.

So far I have been struggling to get it to work with a PC, but it was very complicated for me and the results were not good at all. NVIDIA graphics card don't support Audio over HDMI, with my Laptop hooked up over HDMI I can get sound and it works fine except I have some strange bars on fast moving scenes like V-Sync is disabled or whatever. But on both setups I don't have a remote control and so on.

Now there are set-top boxes available for around 200 bucks like "Popcorn Hour". These are slim, don't use a lot of power come with a remote control and so forth - but the software on each thing is not nearly as good as XBMC.

So I really was hoping that some day I can just purchase a pre-built hardware with XBMC.
Does anyone know if any company has plans to do something like this? So far I have found nothing Sad
No that I know of, but you or anyone else are more than welcomed to make and sell such XBMC for Linux pre-configured boxes as long as you comply with the GPL.

Checkout:
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html
and
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Com...hTV_System

Note! Team-XBMC will be coming out with the first Beta of a Live version of XBMC in a couple of weeks from now (and a stable version in the end of October), it will have the operating-system embedded and be really easy to install by anyone who wants XBMC in a dedicated set-top-box stype setup.

PS! This have been asked and discussed here in these forums before, I just do not have time to search for those threads just now.
The strange bars are probably caused by Compiz. You must disable it.
PopCorn uses Sigma Designs system-on-chip. Porting the code to this platform is far from trivial.....we'd better wait for cheap Intel system-on-chip solutions.

-Yuval
if XBMC will come with its own host OS I wonder how good the hardware support will be - especially with graphics card that have HDMI output.

But I'm really looking forward to it and I hope that some company might start to build really small HTPC's preconfigured with XBMC. If I had more money to spend I would even start my own company :p
falc410 Wrote:if XBMC will come with its own host OS I wonder how good the hardware support will be - especially with graphics card that have HDMI output.

But I'm really looking forward to it and I hope that some company might start to build really small HTPC's preconfigured with XBMC. If I had more money to spend I would even start my own company :p

If there would ever be a XBMC Set on top box I can bet on that it would probably run linux underneath.
startups rarely rely on the money of the founder... you have to sell the idea to someone with money Smile
falc410 Wrote:if XBMC will come with its own host OS I wonder how good the hardware support will be - especially with graphics card that have HDMI output.

The hardware support it currently has is pretty good IMO and it's NOT hard to put together a system that will run it successfully. There are vendors building MythTV boxes, I see now reason why a vendor like that couldn't be found as XBMC matures. I suppose one of the hardest things might be legal issues in places like the US where the deCSS code could still be a problem. <sigh>
Just caught this thread and it reminded me of a project I read about on the boxee forums. Certainly sounds like an interesting proposition.

http://www.telematicsfreedom.org/en/proj...-state-art

"The FBOX will be a customization for the italian market of a Media Center box (and related software) developed by our main venture partner on the basis of the largest free/open source Media Center application, XBMC. Working prototypes of the box are ready and available for evaluation, and a US roll-out is expected in January 2009 as financing."

Also looks like the XBMC team is involved - http://xbmc.org/blog/2008/07/21/telemati...ss-survey/
Sounds great. I really hope we get to see this in 2009 with XBMC!
frumpy_uk Wrote:"The FBOX will be a customization for the italian market of a Media Center box (and related software) developed by our main venture partner on the basis of the largest free/open source Media Center application, XBMC. Working prototypes of the box are ready and available for evaluation, and a US roll-out is expected in January 2009 as financing."
Cool but where did you read that exacly?, I do not see that on the page you linked to Huh
I am actually working on distributing a shuttle based system which will run xbmc on top of ubuntu hardy. I plan to have it pre-configured with an IR based remote and hardware capable of running 1080p video w/ 5.1 surround sound. I'll post updates when I get closer to getting the project up and running.

-tret
If it's quiet and has low power consumption I would gladly buy it!
Gamester17 Wrote:Cool but where did you read that exacly?, I do not see that on the page you linked to Huh

I found this..

Sounds very cool, i wander why we have not heard more, maybe i just missed it, or is it top secret?

Shorty
I wondered that, too - especially now that I read Gamester's reply on the subject...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9