Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: How to update XBMCLive to SVN PPA's and Bleeding Edge
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
I am trying to update with latest SVN, but I keep on getting the following:
gpg: keyserver timed out
gpg: keyserver receive failed: keyserver error

Problem with server?
problem solved, I think the server was down.
I followed the instructions in the first post and everything went well, picking up the current stable-SVN from 6 September.

Should I be commenting out the non-SVN lines from xbmc.org.list? I notice a couple of the different guides (not Live specific) have them removed or #.
So my update seems to have gone thorugh OK with the exception being that a reported error occurs during the final build section reporting that it could not detect an X window. Fair enough as I am doing the upgrade through SSH.

I have been through it twice now and get a fresh XBMC Live installed onto a USB stick through a XBMC DVD boot disk. Everything works but when querying the system information it reports the build as Pre-910 runknown compiled 6 Sept but the build level is blank.

Plug-ins work that are are dependant on 9.03 so I know it is running but things that are querying the SVN number (such as the transparency skin) do not work as they do not see the build pre-requisites working.

Anyone seen this or know what I need to poke to get the SVN reporting correctly?

Cheers
Oo
Has this updated to reflect the new svn paths that were mentioned in on the home page?
Can this be used to upgrade, even if your're not running XBMC Live? (ie. Ubuntu + XBMC separate).

Sorry if it's a useless question.
I'm getting the following error when I follow this process:

Code:
Processing triggers for initramfs-tools ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.28-11-generic
touch: cannot touch `/boot/initrd.img-2.6.28-11-generic.new': No such file or directory
/usr/sbin/mkinitramfs: 323: cannot create : Directory nonexistent
update-initramfs: failed for /boot/initrd.img-2.6.28-11-generic
dpkg: subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
E: Directory '/var/log/apt/' missing
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)

Can anyone help me understand what the problem is and how to solve it? Maybe there's a way to just not update that?

Thanks!!!
I was just following the guide also and encountered the same error, I tried following the directions in the bleeding edge portion that address this error, but it didn't work. As a cut and paste linux user, I am at a total loss. Thanks for any help.
lets se...
when i use the xbmc live CD installation
(Ver: May 25 2009 (SVN:20654) / Ubuntu Live (9.04.1)

1080p works very good !

Now i updated to
svn: 23422

when iam using the first part of your guide.. (not the edge thing)
i the 1080p movies get ALOT of drops ....

can i get back the old drives for the graphic cart or something? but keep the xbmc ver.
Thank You. Followed this for my ION system and it worked fine. Now I'm getting the most out of my Aeon Showmix skin.
Is there any way to see which version I would get if I ran this (first part, not bleeding edge)?

I think it would be 23422 or 6 sept. builds but both of those have an issue with ISO here, so I just spent a week downgrading back to 22528. The issue is solved in r23534 so if your guide will get me there I'll do it right away!
Thanks for this! Upgraded my home-made HTPC with this and it works great! Thanks from a linux (though not unix) noob.

One question, though......

I originally had XBMCLive on a USB stick and moved it to my HD (as described by the OP). I have the xbmc user setup fine now. But...when I want to do any additional installations etc I need root access. And I'm guessing the "xbmc" user is not root.

When I try:
su

And use my xbmc user password, it does not work. I don't remember giving any root password or user setup when I installed it.

Does anyone know what the root user and password would default to on a move from the USB stick to the HD?

Thanks for the help!!!
Quote:When I try:
su

Ubuntu=>
sudo <command>
Thanks vikjon0 - that does the trick.
hmmm, it's not quite working for me. I can follow the instructions and understand how it works no problem but right at the end I get:

Code:
After this operation, 733kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? Y
Abort.

http://pastebin.com/f208329b0

Any ideas?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5