Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: AC-3 5.1 audio issues?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
speters415 Wrote:Yes, just silence. Does anyone with a ppc get 5.1 out of XBMC?

Thanks,
Steve

Could you post a sample video with which you have the problem?
That might help confirm if it's a ppc problem or not (after someone trying it on an intel mac).
It's every movie. It doesn't matter if it's hd or sd, vob, .mkv, .m2t, etc. This is a real bummer.

Thanks,
Steve
I am having the same problem. The interesting thing is that my receivers show the icon for the ac3 5.1 signal. This happens with both of my apple tv's and on both my sony and yamaha receivers. While the video is playing you can go to the audio settings menu and you can see that a ac3 signal is the audio method. Had anyone been able to get this to work? I have tried it with the current stable version and also the beta version.
I have tried multiple file types and they all do not play 5.1 audio. The problem must be with either the launcher 3.2.1 or in xbmc. I am going to try to flash back to an older version of apple tv and use an older launcher to see if it works. I am pretty sure it used to work just fine.
smurfturf Wrote:I have tried multiple file types and they all do not play 5.1 audio. The problem must be with either the launcher 3.2.1 or in xbmc. I am going to try to flash back to an older version of apple tv and use an older launcher to see if it works. I am pretty sure it used to work just fine.

I doubt its Launcher, I have a lot of 5.1 on ATV (3.0.1) and they play without any problems.

The best would be to upload the problem file, you can clip it for ease of upload, if developers can reproduce it can be fixed. Smile

Zeljko
smurfturf Wrote:I am having the same problem. The interesting thing is that my receivers show the icon for the ac3 5.1 signal. This happens with both of my apple tv's and on both my sony and yamaha receivers. While the video is playing you can go to the audio settings menu and you can see that a ac3 signal is the audio method. Had anyone been able to get this to work? I have tried it with the current stable version and also the beta version.

I've always had quirks with an old Yamaha receiver and was told somewhere on this forum that old Yammy's were problematic. I submitted a trac ticket (http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/5188) and it eventually fixed my Mac mini to the Yamaha but in the testing I did way back when, AC3 to the ATV did not work. Knowing they were still working on the coreaudio stuff, I've waited patiently, and have actually semi-mothballed the ATV until the Broadcomm solution is available. Maybe I'll break it out over the break and try the latest SVN's and see if I'm still having problems.
I have clipped a sample file that I am talking about. I have noticed that files that contain aac and ac3 will play, but won't play in 5.1(ac3), but files that only have ac3 audio, I can't hear anything. Here is a link to the clip.

http://hotfile.com/dl/20914030/cdcba46/T...vr-ms.html
smurfturf Wrote:I have clipped a sample file that I am talking about. I have noticed that files that contain aac and ac3 will play, but won't play in 5.1(ac3), but files that only have ac3 audio, I can't hear anything. Here is a link to the clip.

http://hotfile.com/dl/20914030/cdcba46/T...vr-ms.html

I have tried this file on my ATV setup and I can hear the sound fine, I am using ATV's SPIDF out to a samsung home theater setup.
Amet, thanks for testing that file on your system. I figured out the problem with one of my systems. My Yamaha receiver now works just fine, but my Sony receiver still doesn't get the ac3 audio. What I find interesting is that If I play a movie with ac3 audio on the standard apple tv software that comes with it, I get 5.1 audio. If I play 5.1(ac3) audio via boxee or xbmc I get dead air. The fact that the standard apple tv works would suggest to me that it isn't my hardware. Do you have any suggestions?
smurfturf Wrote:Amet, thanks for testing that file on your system. I figured out the problem with one of my systems. My Yamaha receiver now works just fine, but my Sony receiver still doesn't get the ac3 audio. What I find interesting is that If I play a movie with ac3 audio on the standard apple tv software that comes with it, I get 5.1 audio. If I play 5.1(ac3) audio via boxee or xbmc I get dead air. The fact that the standard apple tv works would suggest to me that it isn't my hardware. Do you have any suggestions?

sorry , no suggestions. I am not sure why it would work on ATV OS and not on XBMC, post a debug log when it fails to output sound, we might see something in it. did it ever work, have you tried it with earlier versions of XBMC?

Zeljko
I am 90% positive it used to work when I was running atv os 2.4 and a version of XBMC. Is there an older version I could install?
smurfturf Wrote:I am 90% positive it used to work when I was running atv os 2.4 and a version of XBMC. Is there an older version I could install?

you could use Babylon, http://xbmc.org/download/ . you can use Launcher to download it as well.

ATV OS wouldn't make any difference as far as I know.
How would I get launcher to download it?
smurfturf Wrote:How would I get launcher to download it?

Launcher -> Downloads -> 9.04
Amet Wrote:Launcher -> Downloads -> 9.04

My Launcher Downloads only has 9.04.1 and 9.11 (RC1) and a version of boxee. I have putty installed. I am not very good at ssh command line, but I can follow instructions well if that is an option.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5