Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Adventures with the Karmic Koala (Ubuntu 9.10)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
OK I've just got through re-installing my system as I had a few bugs outside of xbmc that were driving me nuts, so whilst doing the re-build I thought I'd install the RC of Karmic Koala as it's due for full release any day now.

I hit a few problems along the re-build so I thought I'd document my problems in the hope that it'll help anyone else who decides to give Karmic a try.

Screen tearing in xbmc

The Xorg build in Karmic seems to have the composite extension turned on by default which caused horrible tearing on my build. This can be disabled by adding the following to your xorg.conf file:

Code:
Section "Extensions"
          Option "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection

This fixed the problem with xbmc but caused some ugly problems with gdm which caused the display to not refresh properly when the xsplash animations played. I fixed this by commenting out

Quote:if [ -x '/usr/bin/xsplash' ];
then
/usr/bin/xsplash --gdm-session --daemon
fi

from /etc/gdm/Init/Default and /etc/gdm/PreSession/Default

gdm and .xsession

The new gdm used with Karmic ignores .xsession files when you log in. I personnally like to have a xbmc account that loads straight into xbmc and a normal user account that logs into gnome. To get the xbmc account to work as I'd like I created a file /usr/share/xsessions/xbmc.desktop which contains

Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Name=xbmc
Comment=Launch xbmc media center
Exec=xbmc
Type=Application

this adds an option at the bottom of the gdm login screen (you have to click on a user before it's displayed) that allows you to select "xbmc" and will remember that setting for the user.
I have an other major problem with xbmc on Karmic.

If i mount a samba share WITH xbmc and play a hd video from that share, it plays until ca. 3-4 minutes that stops playback just like if i pressed "x".

The same share works perfect in Karmic if i mount it with fstab or with mount -t cifs in a terminal.

And the same share works in xbmc perfectly on Jaunty.

http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/7350
I have the same issue.. I hadn't noted that cifs work fine. Sounds like there is some bug in libsmbclient in karmic
Just downloaded the final release, was going to run home and install, but i will wait and see how many people have issues with xbmc and 9.10.
I did an upgrade from Jaunty to Karmic and it went fine except LIRC doesn't work at all anymore. Anyone else having issues with LIRC?
I'll be getting a new system soon, so will be doing a clean install on that one.
I just did a clean install of Ubuntu 9.10, but can't seem to get XBMC installed.

I get dependencies errors on:
xbmc-common
xbmc-skin-pm3-hd
xbmc-web-pm3

I get this when I run sudo apt-get install xbmc

Anyone any idea?
mwillart Wrote:I just did a clean install of Ubuntu 9.10, but can't seem to get XBMC installed.

I get dependencies errors on:
xbmc-common
xbmc-skin-pm3-hd
xbmc-web-pm3

I get this when I run sudo apt-get install xbmc

Anyone any idea?

You need to install from the svn
I really havent experienced any problems yet except some weird issue involving upnp streaming, ubuntu 9.10, recent xbmc svn, and mediatomb 0.12

edit: oh also there is some 100% cpu usage issue with the newer skins but i dont think thats the fault of the new ubuntu...
elupus Wrote:I have the same issue.. I hadn't noted that cifs work fine. Sounds like there is some bug in libsmbclient in karmic

But if i mount the share outside xbmc it works fine, even with xbmc...Huh
Aenima99x Wrote:I did an upgrade from Jaunty to Karmic and it went fine except LIRC doesn't work at all anymore. Anyone else having issues with LIRC?
I'll be getting a new system soon, so will be doing a clean install on that one.

Karmic has a differnet version of lirc where for example mceusb and mceusb2 modules are merged and i read somewhere that device file lird is in a different directory.
Does Karmic still have some issues with CPU load balancing across multiple processors cores that exists in jaunty but not in Hardy?
alanwww1 Wrote:Karmic has a differnet version of lirc where for example mceusb and mceusb2 modules are merged and i read somewhere that device file lird is in a different directory.

Got it sorted, the upgrade replaced my hardware.conf and lirc.conf with new blank versions. Oo Just restored my previous ones and all is good.
TREX6662k5:

If you're talking about the kernel scheduler bug, probably not (unless they worked around it). Though the kernel gods have addressed it i believe in the 2.6.32-rcX series.

TheUni
theuni Wrote:TREX6662k5:

If you're talking about the kernel scheduler bug, probably not (unless they worked around it). Though the kernel gods have addressed it i believe in the 2.6.32-rcX series.

TheUni

I think you wanted to write "probably yes" here... Cool
May just wait for the next LTS release. Updating won't really bring me anything new.
Pages: 1 2 3