Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: MCE remote green button to start XBMC - Camelot final
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
havix Wrote:In most media center apps you don't have to use multiple keys to exit screens or go back. It's usually just one key and with MCE remote support you can just use the back key. This has been my experience with MCE, Meedio, and Media Portal. Having multiple keys that do similar things confuses people. Why can't the same key be used to exit popup settings or info as the one that is used to go back a level in the views. Just an example I know they have many functions for both these keys.

I'm still not clear what the problem is. Why would you want a button to send Escape then Backspace? Most remotes have separate Escape and Backspace buttons anyway.

JR
havix Wrote:In most media center apps you don't have to use multiple keys to exit screens or go back. It's usually just one key and with MCE remote support you can just use the back key. This has been my experience with MCE, Meedio, and Media Portal. Having multiple keys that do similar things confuses people. Why can't the same key be used to exit popup settings or info as the one that is used to go back a level in the views. Just an example I know they have many functions for both these keys.

You can change the appropriate keymap.xml so that the 'backspace' key makes context menus exit instead of the 'esc' key etc..... therefore one button on the remote "will be used be used to exit popup settings or info as the one that is used to go back a level in the views"
I have made this change myself. 'Esc' on my setup is then only used for returning to the Home screen like is was on the original xbox years ago.

This will mean that "the same key will be used be used to exit popup settings or info as the one that is used to go back a level in the views"
petermarshall15 Wrote:You can change the appropriate keymap.xml so that the 'backspace' key makes context menus exit instead of the 'esc' key etc..... therefore one button on the remote "will be used be used to exit popup settings or info as the one that is used to go back a level in the views"
I have made this change myself. 'Esc' on my setup is then only used for returning to the Home screen like is was on the original xbox years ago.

This will mean that "the same key will be used be used to exit popup settings or info as the one that is used to go back a level in the views"

Perfect, that's exactly what I'm looking for. I'll try it tonight, thanks!
I have a question, I have a Harmony One and a Antec Veris IR receiver, I downloaded the zip and followed the directions but am not getting anywhere with it. I added the .reg to my register and XBMC still doesn't open when I press the Media Center button I made. It use to launch MCE so I know the button was working at one time.
quebert Wrote:I have a question, I have a Harmony One and a Antec Veris IR receiver, I downloaded the zip and followed the directions but am not getting anywhere with it. I added the .reg to my register and XBMC still doesn't open when I press the Media Center button I made. It use to launch MCE so I know the button was working at one time.

The .reg files only work with the official Microsoft remote and full compatibles like the HP remote. I don't know if the Antec Veris IR receiver is compatible or not. If you run the ShowKey app does it show any keystrokes when you press the Windows button?

JR
jhsrennie or anyone - help urgently required. I posted back a few pages about my issues with xbmc/windows not retaining the relevant key presses to launch xbmc. I thought that with the introduction of the registry changes that my issue may be resolved. However unfortuntely this does not appear to be the case.

Intermittently and without warning, when I attempt to open xbmc, using the control-shift-x command, I get no response. Checking in the properties tab of xbmc shows that the shortcut keys have reverted to 'none' and when pressing the launch button (green button), the shortcut keys attempts to start but the command it is attempting to send is control-shift- , the 'x' part seems not to respond. The only way to rectify this is to re-register the reg commands and restart - not a big deal but annoying none the less. This is the only thing that's keeping xbmc from being the 'perfect' front-end. Can anyone offer any assistance thanks.

EDIT

Should have stated that I use a Harmony One set-up as an original MCE Remote No: 1039.
I also have this problem but have figured out that it only happens after i have forced xbmc to close using ctrl, alt, del. I therefore think its a problem with windows which still thinks xbmc is active and therefore wont star xbmc again to prevent it being opened multiple times.... if you get what i mean.
I have never had a force shutdown activity for xbmc, but I agree that the issue seems to be more Windows than xbmc related. Is there any way - via an event log or similar that I could check the activity at the time xbmc loses this focus?
The usual strategy in dealing with problems like this is to reduce the number of variables. You're using a harmony to emuklate an MS remote, so the obvious step is to use a real MS remote (and receiver). If this works then it must be something to do with the Harmony. If you still get problems we'll have to look deeper as loads of people use the MS remote with no problems (including me).

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:As it happens I've just bought an HP remote on eBay and as soon as I've worked out all the key mappings I'll add the info to http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Remote_Control_Reviews

JR

Hi JR, i see you added them, but it looks they are for the 'newer' type.
In the old one i have all the "function" buttons not working (radio, music, pictures, camera, clear, print, enter, dvd and tv).

Can you point me to a guide explaining how to find out the key codes, so i can add mine to the regfile? thx.
jhsrennie Wrote:The usual strategy in dealing with problems like this is to reduce the number of variables. You're using a harmony to emuklate an MS remote, so the obvious step is to use a real MS remote (and receiver). If this works then it must be something to do with the Harmony. If you still get problems we'll have to look deeper as loads of people use the MS remote with no problems (including me).

JR

JR - I have both original remote and receiver and this behaviour is prevalent using the MCE remote in isolation as well. This was the reason I made an assumption perhpas incorrectly that the issue may well be Windows, rather than xbmc related. Is there anything I should look for when it next happens, perhaps in the registry settings which would give any indication why this happens?
dhstsw Wrote:Hi JR, i see you added them, but it looks they are for the 'newer' type.
In the old one i have all the "function" buttons not working (radio, music, pictures, camera, clear, print, enter, dvd and tv).

Can you point me to a guide explaining how to find out the key codes, so i can add mine to the regfile? thx.

No, I have the older model of the remote. What .reg file did you use when you configured the remote? Remote-XBMC.reg should configure all the keys except for Print and T (teletext).

JR
I wrote a batch file to run xbmc,
then using Bat to Exe Converter software to convert it into exe file.
replace it with the one in \Windows\ehome\ehshell.exe (Windows 7, changed owner and permission to administrator on this file)

Now I can run xbmc using the green button on my remote Smile
xdigital Wrote:I wrote a batch file to run xbmc,
then using Bat to Exe Converter software to convert it into exe file.
replace it with the one in \Windows\ehome\ehshell.exe (Windows 7, changed owner and permission to administrator on this file)

Now I can run xbmc using the green button on my remote Smile

Can you publish your batch file for us ? Thank you
Looks like my reply got lost with the site crash. I created a little workaround launcher. It will launch XBMC with the green button, or, if XBMC is already running, it will bring it to the foreground. The install steps aren't exactly straightforward, so be sure to read the instructions.

Read About It Here (DDL)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9