Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [LINUX] HOW-TO achieve XBMC nirvana with an Acer Aspire Revo 1600 and Ubuntu
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Rooster, thanks for the updated link. Much appreciated.

Nick, thanks for the suggestion. Shamo, a late thank you for your great instructional post. I've updated the OP to point to it.

Finally, a note to self or to others who start instructional threads in the future, reserve at least the first 3 posts for future changes... Smile

I've nearly exceeded the allowed text on the first two posts I did reserve, which contributes to the often massively disorganized thread here. Thanks for all of the help and suggestions along the way. I think the OP is again updated to be useful and include all of the links required to get this working relatively painlessly without searching for the information in this now very long thread.
NP Myrison, glad I could help!

Again, Thanks to everyone in the forum that helped bring this together. and for updating the OP. It's a pain when you are a newbie and have to read 13 pages of posts..

I have to try the fix for the XBMC exit issue.(I turn on the tv only to find XBMC has exited and it's sitting at the prompt) I know I can type startx..but it gets annoying after a bit.. and the WAF is low when that happens.

p.s. anyone have an issue where their external drive shows an inalid size and all the files are missing. A reboot then reports the correct size and my files are back.. suqs cuz when it happens, none of the videos are accessible (says they're missing). I check the drive and they are not there.. I reboot and they're back.. effin stange!
Haven't had that problem, Rooster.

I am having a couple other problems though...

When I download AMT Lite it doesn't show up under my scripts menu... so I don't know how to access it.

I'm trying to edit a couple xmls in /usr/share/xbmc and it says I don't have permission to change them... I'm logged in with xbmc which I thought was an admin account, so why can't I change them?
Did you try with sudo?
Type the word sudo before your command and it will emulate the root user..
last go round I installed a full version of 9.10 and xbmc on top of that. Yesterday I let it auto-update to 10.04 and it essentially broke xbmc so now I'm back.

This time around, I've installed thermites image, which to my understanding has a full version of ubuntu under it. If this is the case, is it possible to see an ubuntu desktop?
say_oh_shin Wrote:last go round I installed a full version of 9.10 and xbmc on top of that. Yesterday I let it auto-update to 10.04 and it essentially broke xbmc so now I'm back.

This time around, I've installed thermites image, which to my understanding has a full version of ubuntu under it. If this is the case, is it possible to see an ubuntu desktop?

n/m figured it out

sudo service gdm start
Glad you got it working. That info is buried in the 13 pages of previous fun we've had in this thread (many of the issues have even come up twice before/after the lightning strike!) Smile
Th3R00st3r Wrote:Did you try with sudo?
Type the word sudo before your command and it will emulate the root user..

How do I implement sudo when I'm trying to copy and paste... or how do I replace a file by using the terminal?
say your using vi to edit the file.

type sudo vi /etc/lirc/lirc.conf
that will allow you to edit the file in root mode and you'll then be able to save it.

unless I am way off on what your asking for.
I read somewhere that there was a way to handle different audio files when watching videos.
I have a file that the audio is off in XBMC, but in vlc it's fine. I can't find the link to how to handle the different audio formats..anyone have the link or info on how to handle those?
@rooster - The current IMDB scraper doesn't collect years (had this problem when I first got xbmc and found a better version)... but it won't allow me to edit/replace it. I'm not sure where the edits are in the new xml or if they are even formatted similarly... so can I replace a file with a new in terminal?
Th3R00st3r Wrote:I read somewhere that there was a way to handle different audio files when watching videos.
I have a file that the audio is off in XBMC, but in vlc it's fine. I can't find the link to how to handle the different audio formats..anyone have the link or info on how to handle those?

Rooster - I'm assuming you've used the OSD to go to the audio section and navigate through the different tracks contained in the file? (OSD\Audio\Audio Stream\Change audio stream using the up/down arrows in the OSD)

You get to the OSD initially by pressing 'm'

I have a feeling you've already tried this, and if so, please be a bit more specific what you mean and maybe I can help. (i.e. what type of container is it, and what type of audio format is the stream that won't play?)
I've installed XBMC on my revo and it works fine. It is connected to TV through HDMI and the sound is fine as well. But there is no sound on analog out and I want to use it to connect it to my amp. Is there any way to use both audio out options: hdmi for movies and analog for music?
Not easily (that I've found). I have one Revo that does HDMI and another that does analog, and the process to switch between the two was arduous to say the least.... That may be because of all the changes I made to Alsa while following alan's guide to multichannel sound (which gets multichannel HDMI working correctly).

I did get it working, but it took me a half a day of messing around, and I honestly don't remember what was all involved.
It works and it is not that difficult to do => http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=70754 - how to get audio through HDMI and analog out.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10