Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Should I ditch Ubuntu?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
First let me say, Ubuntu has been nothing but good to me in the past. I love Linux, and think it's a worthy cause. I think it's great for low-powered devices, and has many practical uses.

However, I've been having a fair share of issues running XBMC with Ubuntu concerning video playback. For some reason, XBMC cannot play my HD .mkv files from within XBMC with sound, but can play them outside in media player. I also have 2 seasons of Seinfeld (.avi) where the sound will not work from XBMC (or Linux's media player) but I can play them in Windows perfectly. And for some reason, I have it in my head that it'll be a lot easier to equalize sound from Windows than it would Linux. ALSA is a huge pain in the ass and has not been working for me.

Other issues include some things that unfortunately are not Linux's fault. I have a free subscription to Netflix, and Linux is not supported, sadly.There are other add-ons I'd like that won't work on Linux.

However, and this is why I put it in the Linux forum because I believe these answers would be less partial, the thing I like the most about Linux, on a 1.6GhZ 1GB RAM ION baby computer, is that there aren't a lot of background processes, and has a very small footprint.

I have an extra key for Windows XP I never used from college, and probably should before MSNDAA realizes I'm no longer a student, so I'm willing to install it on my PC if switching to Windows will fix my video issues (mkv and that odd avi issue) and the footprint isn't so big that running XBMC will lag. I also haven't tried XBMC on Windows, has anyone tried it or can tell me if there is any kind of difference? I'd assume it's the same across platforms, but there might be some compatibility issues I'm not aware of.

Another option is that I could always buy another stick of RAM. I don't think it will fix my .avi issue (nor my sound/netflix issue), but would it help me run .mkv files within XBMC? And if I were to beef up my RAM, why not switch to Windows then?

Sorry if this is a long, boring post. It's 12:30 in the morning and I can't decide and would like some opinion before I try it myself because I don't have much free time anymore. Anyway, thanks to any responders. Much karma to you.
Never had any problem with it.

Sounds like it's mainly a PEBKAC issue.
Thanks, that was helpful! It must definitely be my fault that I can't figure out why .mkv wrappers won't work inside XBMC or why certain .avi files will work when networked onto my Windows machine but not within Linux!
He's just joking... Wink

Read this and post some more info.

h.udo
EN/PT
As someone who has contemplated the same thing, I can see where you're coming from. I don't have any of the sound issues you're having or problems with MKVs, but there are indeed limitations - even if most of those limitations are just the inability to tie 3rd party programs and services into XBMC.

If I recall correctly, you're not going to get full hardware acceleration in Windows unless you get Windows 7, because XP doesn't support DXVA2. That means that your ION system is most likely going to struggle on HD content if you go with XP. Then you have to ask yourself how suited an Atom chip (especially a single core one) really is for Windows 7, even if you max out the RAM. That's something I have no experience on, and it would be good to get the input of someone who has tried Live and Win7 on an ION box.
Thanks, for the link and the help. I have a dual-core ATOM/ION combo clocked at 1.6GhZ. I did have two keys for Windows 7, but stupidly gave one to my girlfriend. I guess I'll have to stick to Ubuntu.

I've read some issues can come randomly, and after an uninstall/reinstall they go away. So I know what it is I must do.
Nice work "Talking him down". That was close.
Rolleyes

What bothered me is that it looked like the first responder looked like he felt sorry for himself that he wasted his time on something that he couldn't help, and then posted something snide to compensate for the time he lost. And I'm terribly sorry to waste his time describing problems that he didn't have, but why bother posting something snide if you aren't going to have anything relevant to say? And even more, something that looks like it's trying to illicit a response back, by stating that I'm the issue as opposed to being ill-informed, and then being helpful.

I've been around Internet forums since like 2001, from several walks of life. I've been through good communities, bad communities, 4Chan, Reddit...I know how this stuff works. That's why I tried to pad my first post with stuff that wouldn't offend the rabid Linux crowd, or not be in-depth enough for people who would be of any help. My apologies for not looking through that thread explaining how to help a certain issue and posting specs, but I didn't think it would have even been relevant in this setting because most of my issues stem from Operating System support issues, such as two random seasons of Seinfeld working in Windows, but not Linux, especially considering that a TV show isn't big enough to break the bank (200MB) and it was an .avi file, not some kind of Ultra HD movie.

My bad, but you need to realize the first poster was probably trying to incite a response from me. Thanks to all helpful people. Much appreciated.
No need to explain, my intent was not to criticize. I was just going for a very little levity.

This is absolutely one of the most positive/friendly communities I've see. I try not to sweat the exceptions.
1) You posted no bug reports.
2) You posted absolutely nothing about the mkv's formats or anything.*
3) You expected us to read your mind about your problems. You might as well have asked us what you should eat for dinner.

PEBKAC diagnosis stands.

Code:
ffmpeg -i <movie>
Input #0, avi, from '<movie>':
  Metadata:
    ISFT            : VirtualDubMod 1.5.10.2 (build 2540/release)
  Duration: 00:46:18.48, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 1053 kb/s
    Stream #0.0: Video: mpeg4, yuv420p, 624x352 [PAR 1:1 DAR 39:22], 25 tbr, 25 tbn, 25 tbc
    Stream #0.1: Audio: mp3, 48000 Hz, 2 channels, s16, 130 kb/s

Or
Code:
mplayer -vo null -ao null -frames 0 <movie>

AVI file format detected.
[aviheader] Video stream found, -vid 0
[aviheader] Audio stream found, -aid 1
VIDEO:  [XVID]  624x352  12bpp  25.000 fps  910.0 kbps (111.1 kbyte/s)
Clip info:
Software: VirtualDubMod 1.5.10.2 (build 2540/release)
==========================================================================
Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
Selected video codec: [ffodivx] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg MPEG-4)
Opening audio decoder: [mp3lib] MPEG layer-2, layer-3
AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 128.0 kbit/8.33% (ratio: 16000->192000)
Selected audio codec: [mp3] afm: mp3lib (mp3lib MPEG layer-2, layer-3)
SpitIV Wrote:No need to explain, my intent was not to criticize. I was just going for a very little levity.

This is absolutely one of the most positive/friendly communities I've see. I try not to sweat the exceptions.

I'll tell you, it's much more friendly than the regular Ubuntu forums. Then again, I have a tendency to be lazy and I know how to illicit trouble.

My biggest issue about Linux and Open Source in general is that there is little quality control to the information posted. For example, I Googled the issue I've been having with .mkv files and what I got was a thread from 2009 that said problem solved. The second hit was on another forum. Lower than that, another. I understand that Google crawls this place independently, but I think there is a time and a place to purge and merge information and display it in a way that is helpful. I haven't found the XBMC Wiki very helpful, tbh. This is true of other open source projects as well. And please, don't even get me started with looking up relevant Ubuntu information. Most of the stuff crawled is for 8.10 and none of that will even be applicable in 11.04 because GNOME will be gone!

So my position when making and defending this thread comes lots of frustration.

In good news, I've fixed the .avi file, it was that I opened a custom puthrough because I have the ALSA plugin, and if I don't use ladcomp as the custom puthrough it doesn't work.
I'm glad you figured it out.

I often run into the problem of not knowing what information is current/relevant to my situation. Documentation is no fun, I can't knock anyone, that doesn't get paid, for not doing it. I look at the doc as a bonus. I figure you just gotta work through the issues exactly like you did.
SpitIV, I completely agree. It just sucks on all ends. I'm sure the developers aren't happy that they don't have time for proper documentation (at least to my high standards Tongue), people like me aren't happy because they can't find relevant information (and neglectfully post things wrong) and the people who answer these threads aren't happy.

Sucks all around, but it's worth getting this for free. It's worth the forum abuse and the negligence, lol.
If you look in this forum there are a lot of people with sound issues on Ubuntu (including myself). Most get zero response or help. I just spent 2 days debugging my ALSA/PULSE installs as they broke since the 10.1 release. So you are not the only one.

I have 5 HTPC systems at home (3 Ubuntu and 2 Win7). 2 of them are Dual IONs. All, I can tell u is that Win7 works great. It is a little more sluggish than Ubuntu with some skins, but still very usable.

I love Linux/Ubuntu, however it seems Win7 is well suited for HTPC systems.
Pages: 1 2