Kodi Community Forum
Best XBMC HTPC Hardware with HDMI / HD / 1080p + HDMI Audio - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Best XBMC HTPC Hardware with HDMI / HD / 1080p + HDMI Audio (/showthread.php?tid=34235)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

- magho - 2008-12-11

@sebj
HDMI audio was introduced on the 177.xx driver so that should work. I'm not sure about alsa support for 7-series cards though.
"aplay -l" should give you this line if alsa supports it:
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]

I have a 7050 myself but I don't think I have tried a recens alsa with that one. Best bet would be to check out the alsa release notes/mailing list.

- sebj - 2008-12-11

@magho

I had that line before getting the new alsa with "aplay -L" but it went away, maybe I have to recompile the nvidia drivers again.

Will check the alsa information too.

Thanks again!

sebj

- spozen - 2008-12-11

Matt Devo Wrote:I consider a 45Mbps AVC bluray video stream to be compressed. Rephrase perhaps? =)

Sorry i meant that some codecs uses moore compression wich equals higher processor usage.

Maybe we can use a wiki page for benchmarking?

- magho - 2008-12-11

@sebj
Your nvidia drivers don't affect aplay at all from what I know. If you saw device 3 there before, the alsa part was ok.

- magho - 2008-12-11

spozen Wrote:Sorry i meant that some codecs uses moore compression wich equals higher processor usage.

Ehh,what do you mean exactly?
Compression factor = (uncompressed bitrate) / (compressed bitrate)
i.e more compression = lower bitrate which generally means lower cpu load

- spozen - 2008-12-11

magho Wrote:Ehh,what do you mean exactly?
Compression factor = (uncompressed bitrate) / (compressed bitrate)
i.e more compression = lower bitrate which generally means lower cpu load

How come i can play a DVD on my Xbox but not a X264 rip of the DVD?

- magho - 2008-12-11

When comparing cpu load I of course meant using the same encoder. MPEG2 is a lot less cpu intensive than h264.

- spozen - 2008-12-11

What causing the CPU load on the killa sample? Do you have any specs on the clip?

- succo - 2008-12-11

sebj Wrote:@magho

I had that line before getting the new alsa with "aplay -L" but it went away, maybe I have to recompile the nvidia drivers again.

Will check the alsa information too.

Thanks again!

sebj

i too have that line on 1.0.17 and 8500gt (without hdmi)... it means nothing
you have to see it on aplay -l (lowercase) for it to work, and it doesn't in 7xxx series, as the only nvidia supported is MCP78/7a and 7xxx is somewhere lower, i guess 73 or something like that... again, hdmi audio support for MCP73 should come with kernel 2.6.28, which would make the hdmi port recognized, so we'll have (hopefully) to wait for ubuntu 9.04

- magho - 2008-12-11

spozen Wrote:What causing the CPU load on the killa sample? Do you have any specs on the clip?

This is what ffmpeg says about it:
Duration: 00:00:22.9, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 35098 kb/s
Stream #0.0: Video: h264, yuv420p, 1920x1080 [PAR 0:1 DAR 0:1], 23.98 tb®
Stream #0.1: Audio: 0x2000, 48000 Hz, 5:1, 448 kb/s

- spozen - 2008-12-11

Im going to upload some scene samples that you can test here:
http://www.mediafire.com/rabbit

BLKMGK, would be great if you can upload some samples from your encodes.

- sebj - 2008-12-12

@succo

Quote:again, hdmi audio support for MCP73 should come with kernel 2.6.28, which would make the hdmi port recognized, so we'll have (hopefully) to wait for ubuntu 9.04

Thanks for the info, you just saved me some time thereLaugh, guess we'll have to wait then.

Hardware is rolling out fast these days, software has a rough time keeping up.

I guess I'll add this to the list of things in the queue alongside myth 0.22 for HDPVR support!

thanks for the help guys Smile

sebj

- BLKMGK - 2008-12-12

TaeOH Wrote:@BLKMGK

I would love to know how you encode. Currently I use the DXVA profiles and do constant quality 18. Most everything satisfies me with those settings and the PS3 can play DXVA profiles.

Will be a few days, If I do not post on this by Sunday ping me via PM. I am not at home right now and won't be for a few more days - busy weekend too. <sigh> I won't detail my whole rip process but the short of it is that I use AnyDVD-HD, eac3to to a MKIV, graphedit, and meGUI. meGUI has a custom profile I built - set to "stun"Big Grin Not looked at the DXVA stuff but I could probably try them.

I would be happy to upload some short clips. However mine are all in MKIV containers and I'll be danged if I know how to snip out say a 5min portion for easy viewing. If someone has suggestions I'll do it!Oo

Got a good look at the Celeron heatsink vs the C2D I've got. Now I'm pretty sure my 65nm C2D had a copper core, this 45nm 2.66 does NOT. The Celeron heatsink's fins swirl the opposite direction from this Celeron. The C2D has a small "foot" who's bottom is milled flat. The Celeron has no foot and is flatter, the base is cast and not milled flat at all - VERY rough! Just lapping it would probably help a great deal. I will try it stock out of the box first with stock grease but as othershave noted the Celeron sink is not exactly a piece of art!Shocked The case I ordered is tiny but not yet out of the box so more later. The motherboard has near every bell and whistle you could want to include that quickboot stuff that has skype etc. in the BIOS. Stay tuned, slowly getting there.

- BLKMGK - 2008-12-14

Building this box now, it's nearly 3am here... Some things to note so far 1) This case has a 20pin power connector, the motherboard wants 24. However it is booting fine <shrug> 2) This power supply has NO SATA power connectors - grr! 3) Case is SMALL and actually easy to work with. For like $60 I am impressed, just wish the P/S better supported me - it's a weird small one too so replacing it might not be a cakewalk.

Celeron installed, nothing special done to it. OOB FSB is 800 I think, I now have it at 1100 and it's booting at 3.01ghz, I have just installed Ubuntu 8.04 and done a full update - running smooth. I have yet to install video drivers, Lirc, or XBMC but am getting there. Won't be done tonight but wow so far I'm in shock at how smooth this CPU has overclocked! The 45nm 2.66Ghz C2D I bought may go into my existing HTPC instead of this one if this CPU can hack Killa'sample.

Stay tuned!

- Asswipe44 - 2008-12-14

Relieved to know someone else out there is building the machine I need; Great timing! I will pay attention and good luck on your setup.