Kodi Community Forum
Release Eminence - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Eminence (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=213)
+---- Thread: Release Eminence (/showthread.php?tid=187071)

RE: Eminence - locomot1f - 2014-03-02

(2014-03-02, 17:08)iAMl3dgend Wrote: you gonna support tv show - next aired?

yes. he is.

RE: Eminence - locomot1f - 2014-03-02

da-anda Wrote:I just asked myself if I really need to see the library stats in all views when nothing is playing. I mean it's nice on home screen, but doesn't really add additional value to all other views. Maybe you/we can find a better info to display there? And maybe add a setting so that PI users can disable it (gathering info seems to slow down startup + I personally don't care about how many movies and songs I have, my ego doesn't need that info Wink )

i second this.

jurialmunkey Wrote:8. Totally open to suggestions on this point. Its mostly a place holder until I figure out exactly how I want it to function. The information in it can't be too essential, however, because the now playing info will override it. I was thinking that the sub header could show the number of items and pages in the current list like most other skins do. I'm not sure what the main header would show however, as the library node is already shown on the side of the view in the right angled capitalised text.

i like the idea of the sub-header to show what is focused.
maybe for the other views... you can have just the icon in the placeholder on the left, and then it can actually say 'TV Shows' as opposed to 'Library'
then you could make the icon a little bit bigger (if needed).
that would probably force you to put focused information down to the bottom after that.

...sometimes redundancy can be a good thing...Huh

RE: Eminence - jurialmunkey - 2014-03-03

(2014-03-02, 16:08)da-anda Wrote: As for the broken "spotlight" view - I just happened to me again. I was running Confluence and installed Eminence from zip. Right after that switch skin was not "initialized" it seems and spotlight didn't work.
There's not much I can do about the items not being loaded other than add some sort of loading indicator to that section (which I will do eventually). What I'm more concerned about is the inability to get to that hub/spotlight page in general. The only place I know it happens is if you are at the very base directory of the videos section where its no longer either movies or tvshows library (and that's intentional really because then there is nothing to show in the hub because you are no longer in the library).

(2014-03-02, 18:58)locomot1f Wrote: i like the idea of the sub-header to show what is focused.
maybe for the other views... you can have just the icon in the placeholder on the left, and then it can actually say 'TV Shows' as opposed to 'Library'
then you could make the icon a little bit bigger (if needed).
that would probably force you to put focused information down to the bottom after that.

There needs to be the text in the icon section because the "Library" part gets replaced by now playing information (also the library node e.g. seasons/episodes/tvshows is shown in the right angled capitalised text on the side of the view so replacing "Library" with that duplicates information). Also, when muting, changing volume, showing power/context menu or a notification the text under the icon changes so I want to keep it consistent in terms of locations. The idea being the more consistency of spacing/positioning of elements results in less scanning of the screen that your eyes have to do.

The idea of showing the now playing there is to make it feel more like a tv/appliance. Most of the time when you turn a tv on there is something playing - whether its a dvd or tv channel etc, so that is one of the most important pieces of information. For instance, my use of xbmc is usually I turn on tv/xbmc and start watching live-tv and flicking through channels. I then get bored with what's on so I start looking through my library for something else to watch. Similar use with music -- I start listening to something then decide I want to listen to something different.

Basically once I start something on the mediacenter there is very little time when no media is playing -- except maybe when I watch an episode of something and it finishes and I'm not sure what I want to watch next. So essentially my point is that what is shown in the header has to be something that is useful but doesn't matter if its not there either.

RE: Eminence - da-anda - 2014-03-04

good argument that there is usually something playing. I have some new findings if I may Smile
  • "Play disc" is missing from main menu (and if you see a way to integrate it an "eject" button as well)
  • "Fullscreen" button is missing in PVR top menu (you also want to go back into fullscreen from PVR views)
  • I think there should be indicators in case there are more items available than on screen (weather, any media view, actors, settings, ...)
  • 3D toggle/features are missing when playing a stereoscopic movie. If you don't have any 3D movies, simply add a dummy movie and add ".3D.SBS" to it's filename. Then XBMC will enable it's 3D powers Smile Or you grab one of the Blender open movies in 3D. You can watch them in retro style anaglyph mode (red cyan glasses) to test things out.
  • "subtitles" in playback OSD menu should not directly trigger subtitle download - one might also want to simply enable already available subtitles. Ofc you can go into audio settings and enable them there, but that's not at all userfriendly. We had a long discussion about this for confluence, which also triggered subs download previously and it's really not a good idea to do because nobody is expecting this kind of behavior
  • please add a skin setting to disable the weather indicator in top right corner. Many don't need that info permanently visible and our weather providers already have too many requests from our side
  • also, as already mentioned, the library statistics should be optional for low power devices
  • the icon for the "add more..." item in addon lists/views should probably be a "+"?
  • there should be indicators when a left click will bring you back to previous view - like some curved arrow? I don't mean the slide indicator arrows, but like when you're in movie details you can simply press left and end up in your previous library node
  • it might be good to see the name of the city in weather view - especially when you have more than one (or only in that case if this is possible)
  • as already mentioned, with setting "show now playing video in background" enabled, most views are not readable because video is not dimmed

RE: Eminence - m404 - 2014-03-04

(2014-03-01, 00:59)jurialmunkey Wrote:
(2014-02-26, 13:23)m404 Wrote: still missing the ability to read about codec infos while playing back a video by pressing on "O" (O-key) … is this intentional ?
you seem to have a thing for making that info disappear, seeing as it's also gone from your Music OSD in Arctic Tongue (on Eminence, it's completely missing tho, which is a bit of an annoyance for me).
Its not that I make it disappear - its that I haven't added it. This skin was made from scratch and I don't have a button on my remote for codec info so its not something that I regularly notice is missing. I'll look at adding it in.

*push* Big Grin

also … u sure that needs to be specifically added to a skin ?
i could swear i've seen it in almost every skin so far, and most of the time it looks exactly like it would look in Confluence, making me think it might be existing by default or something? (i'm no skinner, so no idea, this is just me thinking … )

anyway … the reason i am in "need" for it, is because it's what's used to ALOT of testing when testing file format compatibility etc (the view tells you whether you're using HW decoding or software, if u're having skipped frames, what cpu usage is being cause by the material, the bitrate of audio/video … yada yada yada ) Tongue

RE: Eminence - Shinu - 2014-03-04

Anyone interested in making a video preview video? I'd love to see this skin in action but I'm still running Frodo.

RE: Eminence - Scottland - 2014-03-04

Been using this on my mac for a few days now to get a feel for it, here's a few comments from me
  • Would like to be able to change background for certain menu options. For instance it only seems (for me at least) to cycle movie fan art - so would prefer to have a different background for TV/PVR/Music etc
  • OSD art, for instance poster or logo on pause.
  • OSD codec info (as per m404 above)
  • Have the option for TV/Movie libraries to go straight into All Movies/TV Shows

Just my 2p Smile

RE: Eminence - ProsjektX - 2014-03-04

Like the way this is coming along. A few things I wonder about...:
* Make all vertical lists scroll around the centre row as long as there are more items not visible, instead of going to the very bottom (or top) to scroll. Makes it more intuitive to know that there are additional entries in the lists.
* Home menu: make it possible to navigate left on the leftmost button to get to the rightmost and vica versa... Saves remote button presses
* Perhaps have 6 or 7 rows in the EPG/Channel list instead of 5..?

Anyway, just my 0.2c Wink

RE: Eminence - jurialmunkey - 2014-03-05

(2014-03-04, 11:22)da-anda Wrote:
  1. "Play disc" is missing from main menu (and if you see a way to integrate it an "eject" button as well)
  2. "Fullscreen" button is missing in PVR top menu (you also want to go back into fullscreen from PVR views)
  3. I think there should be indicators in case there are more items available than on screen (weather, any media view, actors, settings, ...)
  4. 3D toggle/features are missing when playing a stereoscopic movie. If you don't have any 3D movies, simply add a dummy movie and add ".3D.SBS" to it's filename. Then XBMC will enable it's 3D powers Smile Or you grab one of the Blender open movies in 3D. You can watch them in retro style anaglyph mode (red cyan glasses) to test things out.
  5. "subtitles" in playback OSD menu should not directly trigger subtitle download - one might also want to simply enable already available subtitles. Ofc you can go into audio settings and enable them there, but that's not at all userfriendly. We had a long discussion about this for confluence, which also triggered subs download previously and it's really not a good idea to do because nobody is expecting this kind of behavior
  6. please add a skin setting to disable the weather indicator in top right corner. Many don't need that info permanently visible and our weather providers already have too many requests from our side
  7. also, as already mentioned, the library statistics should be optional for low power devices
  8. the icon for the "add more..." item in addon lists/views should probably be a "+"?
  9. there should be indicators when a left click will bring you back to previous view - like some curved arrow? I don't mean the slide indicator arrows, but like when you're in movie details you can simply press left and end up in your previous library node
  10. it might be good to see the name of the city in weather view - especially when you have more than one (or only in that case if this is possible)
  11. as already mentioned, with setting "show now playing video in background" enabled, most views are not readable because video is not dimmed
Good points. I'm keeping a comprehensive todo list, so I've added most to that. I'm just trying to finish up the home menu customisation options so most will go in after I get that done (its mostly ready, just need to add colour change options really).

1. Ah yes totally forgot about dvds. Added to my todo list.
2. The PVR Nav menu is tricky because it doesn't function in the same way as the other Nav menus do. The PVR section is hardcoded to change the view depending on what button has focus. So if you add buttons there then when they are highlighted the view disappears. However, I think the I can solve this by having it show a large preview window the size of the lovefilm view and then a click goes to fullscreen. This might be interesting to do in all the views actually. Added to my todo list.
3. Definitely will be doing this, just figuring out a good smallish and unobtrusive indicator
4. Added to my todo list. Good tip about the blender movies as I don't have any 3d movies myself to test.
5. Good point. Will add something similar to the little pop-up menu that confluence has. On the list.
6. Added to the todo list.
7. Definitely will have an option, just not sure what to put in its place as it looks really empty and weird without it. Maybe something like profile name? I've got something figured out for with viewtypes (shows either Library or Files depending on mode and underneath shows number of items in the container and the number of pages), but I need something for elsewhere.
8. It uses the DefaultAddon icon by default. I've got a label matching fix for it that will be in the next update -- just in the middle of sorting out the home menu customisation options so I wont commit it to git until those are working properly.
9. Good point. On the todo list.
10. Added to the todo list.
11. I've already fixed this but it has to wait until I finish home customisation options to get pushed to git repo.

(2014-03-04, 13:41)m404 Wrote: *push* Big Grin

also … u sure that needs to be specifically added to a skin ?
i could swear i've seen it in almost every skin so far, and most of the time it looks exactly like it would look in Confluence, making me think it might be existing by default or something? (i'm no skinner, so no idea, this is just me thinking … )
Pretty much everything you see on screen has to be specifically added to a skin. That's why it takes so long to skin, but also what makes the skinning engine as powerful as it is. It most likely looks the same as in confluence for most skins because skinners probably can't be bothered with it too much and just rip the code from there.

Don't worry codec info is on my todo list! I understand the value of it even-though I don't really use it much myself.

(2014-03-04, 17:40)Scottland Wrote:
  • Would like to be able to change background for certain menu options. For instance it only seems (for me at least) to cycle movie fan art - so would prefer to have a different background for TV/PVR/Music etc
  • OSD art, for instance poster or logo on pause.
  • OSD codec info (as per m404 above)
  • Have the option for TV/Movie libraries to go straight into All Movies/TV Shows
You can change the main background slideshow in skin settings > general > set home background image path. I'm not really planning on having individual backgrounds however. This is because I eventually plan to have it so you rarely ever actually end up on the home screen -- instead of going back from the library to the home screen the home menu will just pop-up at the bottom of the screen instead.

OSD clearart/logo should already be there in the bottom right corner of the osd controls. The poster is in the extended info dialog ("Skin Settings > OSD > Show extended details when pressing info" to enable it by default, also pressing up from the osd controls will make it pop open.)

Definitely will be an option to skip the hub section. Just getting those sections finalised before I start adding options for them.

(2014-03-04, 22:08)ProsjektX Wrote: * Make all vertical lists scroll around the centre row as long as there are more items not visible, instead of going to the very bottom (or top) to scroll. Makes it more intuitive to know that there are additional entries in the lists.
* Home menu: make it possible to navigate left on the leftmost button to get to the rightmost and vica versa... Saves remote button presses
* Perhaps have 6 or 7 rows in the EPG/Channel list instead of 5..?

Really don't like fixed lists - I think they scroll unnaturally. IMO, they only work well when the focused item is either zoomed or looks different to the unfocused items (e.g. the banner and poster views in arctic). But you are right about needing something to indicate there are more items than on the page -- I've fixed this by simply making the scrollbar visible when this is the case (which is how it should be anyway). Will be in the next update.

I was in two minds about this because its easy to overshoot the end and scroll back around, but after trying both ways I think the benefits of the ability to wrap around outweighs the negatives so it will be changed in the next update

My main problem with adding more epg rows is that it will make the channel icons quite small and I'm a bit worried about the vertical padding around the labels making it hard to read.

RE: Eminence - da-anda - 2014-03-05

Quote:Really don't like fixed lists - I think they scroll unnaturally. IMO, they only work well when the focused item is either zoomed or looks different to the unfocused items (e.g. the banner and poster views in arctic). But you are right about needing something to indicate there are more items than on the page -- I've fixed this by simply making the scrollbar visible when this is the case (which is how it should be anyway). Will be in the next update.
I remember a PR from ´black which allowed skins to specify the scroll amount when the end of the visible area is reached. Not sure if it has been merged, but you could use it to scroll entire pages.

RE: Eminence - locomot1f - 2014-03-05

peace jurialmunkey,

really looking good on this!
big-ups on the ability to customize the home screen menu!!! i was going to ask if this was possible.

so, my next question / request is:
I really like the way you have it setup in Arctic -- with the monochrome icons.
do you have thoughts on bringing this to Eminence?
The 'custom' items make the home menu look aesthetically unappealing -- as it no longer has that "flow".
it would be nice to create a custom item, and then have the ability to give it a color background with a monochrome icon.

does this make senseHuh

RE: Eminence - Dievil - 2014-03-05

Hello Jurial, thank you for the custom home menus.
However is it possible to add favourites to the custom selection ?
For exemple i would like to set a home menu for my game launcher that i have set as favourites.
Also could it be possible to add an option to réarrangé the order of the menus ?

Also it would be Nice have a view with infos for video add ons like youtube.

Thank you

RE: Eminence - jurialmunkey - 2014-03-06

@locomot1f

You already can - the edit icon option is just hiding down the bottom of the customisation options. Once you select the icon, you also get an option to select the colour. I need to tweak the height of the options to fit them all on the page is all.

Basically it works like this -- if you select an icon from the skin extras/icons/ directory then it will centre the icon and put a coloured background behind it. Icons are sized as following 64x64 pixels centred on 128x128 pixel canvas (so 32 pixels of padding). If you select an image from elsewhere then it will scale it. I'm going to make an option for it, just making sure its all working properly first. Basically you could change it so that all your tiles have scaled images which can look good also. I will also be adding more icons when I have some time.

Edit... Decided to remove the scaled image feature for the time being. Added a basic gui customisation screen.

@Dievil
Yeah its coming. I was just having a bit of trouble getting script.favourites to work properly, but I think I have it figured out.

Eventually will be able to rearrange items -- I'm looking to make the customisation gui based which will make it much easier to customise. Just need to find a little time to code it up. Once I get that done I'll look into adding options to rearrange -- which will make a lot more sense anyway when you can actually see the changes you are making.

RE: Eminence - GoogleRocks! - 2014-03-06

Nice implementation of the Home Customization option. One thing though, you should consider overlaying something onto the menu items to illustrate that the user is in edit mode so the screen looks a little different, particularly for a new user. Something like maybe slightly dim the item and add a dashed border, or "Click to Edit" or something else?

Will you be adding Customization Options for the Hub List items soon as well?

Also, I'm hoping you'll add support for Metadata Actors to your todo list.

Peace

RE: Eminence - locomot1f - 2014-03-06

Love it!!!

putting in request for monochrome icon of iTunes -- http://francescopico.nl/wp-content/uploads/podcast-icon.jpg