Kodi Community Forum
New House, New Build, New Toys, But which? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: OS independent / Other (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=228)
+---- Thread: New House, New Build, New Toys, But which? (/showthread.php?tid=120923)

Pages: 1 2

- castalla - 2012-02-09

Quote:What my next question is how do get music to play through out my house? What is the best way to create a system to allow me to do that.

use Logitech squeezebox players - they can all be synced.

- KeithLM - 2012-02-09

bossanova808 Wrote:You do not lose any quality by running long ethernet cables...it's all digital.

That's not entirely true, there are distance limits with ethernet and it will affect your throughput, but it probably won't happen in a house.

I recommend using good CAT 6, although surprisingly enough I've found the CAT 5 my builder put in my house is able to handle gigabit. Make sure when you run all your cable to a central point it's not in the attic, my builder did that, and due to heat I'm concerned about putting a switch up there, so I'm limited on how many rooms I can connect at one time.

When it comes to running cable, run as much as you can. Keep in mind there are more and more networked devices these days. Wireless is nice and works fine for the internet, but it's just not as good as wired when it comes to streaming media. I sat a PC a few feet from my wireless N router and couldn't stream a blu-ray rip from it.

Logitech Squeezeboxes are great for music and can provide synchronization. I love mine, they have a good web interface, as well as Android apps for control, and of course you can use IR remotes on some of them. I use a Squeezebox Boom as my alarm clock, it's so much better than having to listen to radio in the morning, and it provides a lot of options for alarms.

- dizzyikea - 2012-02-09

A bit late to jump in but i can only agree with the ATV2 for the WAF factor. I have had many different boxes running xbmc or upnp servers the only one in my wifes opinion that is any good is the ATV2. Her words "all those others look the same (gui) but are s*it to use and ugly (boxes)"

- mikeprep - 2012-02-09

I just want to confirm. Will the ATV2 work the same way that the Windows XBMC works? Mostly i'm concerned about not having to unpack the torrents i download. Will the ATV2 version also read RAR packages?

RE: New House, New Build, New Toys, But which? - mikeprep - 2012-04-23

Is there much of a difference between the revo or zotac? Or are they pretty much the same thing?

RE: New House, New Build, New Toys, But which? - KeithLM - 2012-04-23

(2012-04-23, 04:52)mikeprep Wrote: Is there much of a difference between the revo or zotac? Or are they pretty much the same thing?

More or less the same. Most of these manufacturers use a spec board from Intel and perhaps add a few components. Some swap out capacitors and the like. But on these low-end boards I doubt you'll find much difference.

RE: - mikeprep - 2012-04-23

(2012-02-09, 23:04)mikeprep Wrote: I just want to confirm. Will the ATV2 work the same way that the Windows XBMC works? Mostly i'm concerned about not having to unpack the torrents i download. Will the ATV2 version also read RAR packages?

Is there any comment as far as this? Also any suggestions on where to acquire the ATV2. It seems in the midst of all my renovations the 3 came out. And from what I understand there is no jailbreak yet. And nothing on the horizon.

As far as the multi room sound. A family member of our's just installed www.sonos.com. I fell in love. So it ink that might be what I go with.

RE: New House, New Build, New Toys, But which? - bluray - 2012-04-23

Well, new house with new home theater deserve a very nice home theater components......

1. Prewire speaker for at leat 7.2 channel.......1 sub in front and another sub in rear.....
2. Prewire for network
3. These two prebuilt HTPC's "Fanless HTPC anyone?" should be a great addition to your theater room, and it'll be very silent too. You should be able to playback blu-ray in full 1080P video and bitstreaming HD audio too......