Kodi Community Forum
Media Companion 3 beta's - Now with Music Video support - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: Media Companion 3 beta's - Now with Music Video support (/showthread.php?tid=129134)

RE: Media Companion Stable & Beta Release with Frodo support - HueyHq - 2013-04-14

(2013-04-14, 19:22)rev105 Wrote: Hi all, Thanks for all your hard work on Media Companion. It is so nice to be able to manage my library. I have been using it for years.

I have a feature request. Now that XBMC can use the dated added from the nfo file instead of the date the movie was added to the XBMC library. Can you make Media Companion use the date the folder was created for the date added on the nfo file if each movie is in it's own folder. I can think of many reasons why this would be more useful than other ways of handling this and I would be happy to explain if needed.

I would also like to give a small donation to the this project even if you can't honor my request. I read a while back that you didn't have anything set up for donations. If the developers have paypal you could PM me your email for each of you and I could send a little to each developer.

Thank you
Thanks for the kind words!

Your request sounds reasonable, but I'm not sure of the logistics of implementing it. Currently it is easy to timestamp the current time when creating the NFO but to check the folder will require additional processing. I sure it can be done (we have some clever cookies on team!) but I am curious about your reasons for doing so? (It's all about priorities, so SELL your case!)

MC used to received donations, but we made the decision a long time ago to remove it once it went open-source; what we do is for the love of the project, and for the good of the community! We strive to provide the best product we can on the limited resources we have! Appreciate your sentiments, tho'!

However, we DO accept contributions of time spent on code changes, feature ideas, and feedback, so in a way, you are already contributing! Wink

(2013-04-14, 23:02)vbat99 Wrote: So your talking about the <createdate>, to use the folder created date instead? Is this the right tag, or does XBMC use something different.
That's what I assumed!

RE: Media Companion Stable & Beta Release with Frodo support - vbat99 - 2013-04-14

awe....shucks, I'm a cookie....wonder what type. suppose some days I'm a gingernut (hard to chew) others I'm a mallowpuff. LOL

RE: Media Companion Stable & Beta Release with Frodo support - rev105 - 2013-04-15

(2013-04-14, 23:04)HueyHq Wrote: Your request sounds reasonable, but I'm not sure of the logistics of implementing it. Currently it is easy to timestamp the current time when creating the NFO but to check the folder will require additional processing. I sure it can be done (we have some clever cookies on team!) but I am curious about your reasons for doing so? (It's all about priorities, so SELL your case!)

I made my request to soon I am not sure how to or if XBMC will actually recognize <dateadded>2012-04-12 14:20:50</dateadded> in the nfo instead of using the date modified for the file if date added does exist in the nfo.

Per this post it is supposed to. If I manually enter dateadded in the nfo it is not recognized when I add that movie to the library.

I am going to keep trying to get XBMC to pick up the date from the nfo. Does anyone else have any ideas?

RE: Media Companion Stable & Beta Release with Frodo support - rev105 - 2013-04-15

(2013-04-14, 23:02)vbat99 Wrote: So your talking about the <createdate>, to use the folder created date instead? Is this the right tag, or does XBMC use something different.

As far as I know this tag is ignored by XBMC.

RE: Media Companion Stable & Beta Release with Frodo support - HueyHq - 2013-04-15

(2013-04-15, 01:55)rev105 Wrote: Per this post it is supposed to. If I manually enter dateadded in the nfo it is not recognized when I add that movie to the library.
Righto then, this is one of my pet peeves when re-installing XBMC; so I can safely say that this request WILL be done, if not by someone else, then by me. You have my word!

The <createdate> tag was added a while ago for MC purposes (there are a small number of fields not used by XBMC) so we were ahead of our time! If only we had a crystal ball, or the XBMC dev utilised our tag! We will need to rename the tag while retaining backwards-compatibility - we've done it before, we can do it again!

RE: Media Companion Stable & Beta Release with Frodo support - vbat99 - 2013-04-15

(2013-04-14, 19:22)rev105 Wrote: Hi all, Thanks for all your hard work on Media Companion. It is so nice to be able to manage my library. I have been using it for years.

I have a feature request. Now that XBMC can use the dated added from the nfo file instead of the date the movie was added to the XBMC library. Can you make Media Companion use the date the folder was created for the date added on the nfo file if each movie is in it's own folder. I can think of many reasons why this would be more useful than other ways of handling this and I would be happy to explain if needed.

I would also like to give a small donation to the this project even if you can't honor my request. I read a while back that you didn't have anything set up for donations. If the developers have paypal you could PM me your email for each of you and I could send a little to each developer.

Thank you

From your original request, you've asked for MC to use the date the folder was created, yet...
(2012-06-28, 11:01)Memphiz Wrote: You can't use the folder date. We (devs) already discussed this on IRC. Whenever something in a folder changes the date of the folder gets altered. So just exporting your metadata into the movie folder would change the order they would appear in "recently added".

So XBMC doesn't use the date the folder was created as this changes upon every change within the folder.

I don't think MC can or should use the Folder created date, but I'm sure we can code the dateadded to be yyyy-mm-dd hh:mmConfuseds

(2013-04-15, 02:21)HueyHq Wrote: Righto then, this is one of my pet peeves when re-installing XBMC; so I can safely say that this request WILL be done, if not by someone else, then by me. You have my word!

A time stamp of when the nfo is created would be fine as long as the date wasn't updated if you rescape later. This way would work great going forward. This would not get my current library set correct if I used Media Companion to add this to my existing library. I would still prefer the date that folders where created not modified because that is the most accurate date of when movies where added to my library. As you can see form the other thread I linked earlier using a date from the move file is not always the most reliable for some of us.

I wouldn't spend any time on this though until you can confirm that XBMC will use the <dateadded> tag instead of a date off the movie file when <dateadded> is present in the movies nfo file. I can't seem to get XBMC to pick it up off the nfo. Does it matter where in the nfo it is placed? Maybe I am just doing something wrong. Also note that all this is new for Frodo 12 and was not present for Eden.

Thanks again

(2013-04-15, 05:03)vbat99 Wrote:

Thank you

From your original request, you've asked for MC to use the date the folder was created, yet...
(2012-06-28, 11:01)Memphiz Wrote: You can't use the folder date. We (devs) already discussed this on IRC. Whenever something in a folder changes the date of the folder gets altered. So just exporting your metadata into the movie folder would change the order they would appear in "recently added".

So XBMC doesn't use the date the folder was created as this changes upon every change within the folder.

I don't think MC can or should use the Folder created date, but I'm sure we can code the dateadded to be yyyy-mm-dd hh:mmConfuseds

I was not in on that IRC discussion but maybe they where looking at modified date? No mater what I do to files within a folder on my system or even if I move the folders around the date created stays the same. If it is to difficult or doesn't make since to do it that way no worries. I have no idea how to code, so its hard for me to know what can and can't be reasonable to request. Also see the post I was writing as you where posting at the same time.

RE: Media Companion Stable & Beta Release with Frodo support - vbat99 - 2013-04-15

Currently <dateadded> isn't in the nfo for movies, so it would seem easy enough to add this and store the created date in this field.

We have <createdate> for when the nfo was added to MC, and I believe this isn't altered on rescraping of info. I might be wrong, but I recall someone asking that it be set to not change. but <createdate> isn't read by MC.

Best to let us know what tag XBMC reads from the nfo. I spotted you'd asked in that other thread, so we'll wait for your feedback.

RE: Media Companion Stable & Beta Release with Frodo support - HueyHq - 2013-04-15

(2013-04-15, 05:29)vbat99 Wrote: We have <createdate> for when the nfo was added to MC, and I believe this isn't altered on rescraping of info. I might be wrong, but I recall someone asking that it be set to not change. but <createdate> isn't read by MC.
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the filter sort on create date? (Note: I haven't actually fired up VS to check.)
The entire purpose of that field being in the NFO is to maintain the date added independent of file system changes!

(2013-04-15, 05:14)rev105 Wrote: [ I can't seem to get XBMC to pick it up off the nfo. Does it matter where in the nfo it is placed? Maybe I am just doing something wrong.
Have you compiled XBMC yourself? I note that it was mentioned this isn't part of any nightly build yet?!?

(2013-04-15, 05:36)HueyHq Wrote:
(2013-04-15, 05:29)vbat99 Wrote: We have <createdate> for when the nfo was added to MC, and I believe this isn't altered on rescraping of info. I might be wrong, but I recall someone asking that it be set to not change. but <createdate> isn't read by MC.
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the filter sort on create date? (Note: I haven't actually fired up VS to check.)
The entire purpose of that field being in the NFO is to maintain the date added independent of file system changes!

Your right, thats what createdate tag is for. (dork! - forgot my golden rule again didn't I. LOL)

(2013-04-15, 05:36)HueyHq Wrote:
(2013-04-15, 05:14)rev105 Wrote: [ I can't seem to get XBMC to pick it up off the nfo. Does it matter where in the nfo it is placed? Maybe I am just doing something wrong.
Have you compiled XBMC yourself? I note that it was mentioned this isn't part of any nightly build yet?!?

(2012-04-12, 21:38)Montellese Wrote:
(2012-04-12, 21:17)rev105 Wrote: I use media companion and I only see

Code:
<createdate>20101218182418</createdate>

I do not see dateadded in my NFO's Sad

You do realize that this feature has just been added to XBMC a few days ago right? So it's not yet available in any nightly build (unless you compile the code yourself). How do you expect Media Companion to make use of it if it isn't even really available yet? Furthermore that would imply that Media Companion is extended to match XBMC's new features within a couple of days which I highly doubt (wouldn't make any sense IMO).
Er, that part about in nightly builds was dated april 2012. LOL

(2013-04-15, 05:36)HueyHq Wrote: Have you compiled XBMC yourself? I note that it was mentioned this isn't part of any nightly build yet?!?

That is a very old post from when Frodo was in development. This is in Frodo now.

(2013-04-15, 05:43)vbat99 Wrote: Er, that part about in nightly builds was dated april 2012. LOL
(2013-04-15, 05:47)rev105 Wrote: That is a very old post from when Frodo was in development. This is in Frodo now.
Oh.

Whoops.

Well, damnamit, it should be working then!Blush

(EDIT: disregard all my previous posts then, as I think the <createdate> tag was included within the last year!)

Seems rev105 been asking about this for the last year.

(2013-04-15, 05:54)vbat99 Wrote: Seems rev105 been asking about this for the last year.
Well, I guess we should get it done for him!

Do you want to do it, or shall I?

(2013-04-15, 01:55)rev105 Wrote: Per this post it is supposed to. If I manually enter dateadded in the nfo it is not recognized when I add that movie to the library.

I am going to keep trying to get XBMC to pick up the date from the nfo. Does anyone else have any ideas?
In my experience, XBMC refuses to read an NFO file once the movie has been entered into the database.
If you are trying to modify the NFO to an existing movie, you need to right-click the movie, and select Remove From Library, then initiate a library update. I'm not sure if you need to perform a Clean Library in between.
Alternatively, try a movie that hasn't been read into XBMC
Let us know if you've already tried that, or, you do try it and it works for you!