Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within Kodi - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Program Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=151)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within Kodi (/showthread.php?tid=157499)

RE: [RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within Kodi - dustinarden - 2016-05-10

:~$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: Generic_1 [HD-Audio Generic], device 0: ALC892 Analog [ALC892 Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
card 1: Generic_1 [HD-Audio Generic], device 1: ALC892 Digital [ALC892 Digital]
Subdevices: 1/1

RE: [RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within Kodi - teeedubb - 2016-05-10

(2016-05-09, 23:44)dustinarden Wrote: ok. lauched steam from launcher app.

no sound.

ran ./pre-steam.sh which gave me a usage error .. i assume since the PID didnt exist anymore at that point?

:~$ ./pre-steam.sh
kill: usage: kill [-s sigspec | -n signum | -sigspec] pid | jobspec ... or kill -l [sigspec]

when i run pulseaudio (after steam is loaded)
I get this.

:~$ pulseaudio
E: [pulseaudio] pid.c: Daemon already running.
E: [pulseaudio] main.c: pa_pid_file_create() failed.

BUT - if go back to the audio section then now steam is seeing the audio interface as it gives me options.
its defaulted to "built-in audio" for internal sound card and port
its defaulted to "analog Stereo duplex" for sound presentation
its defaulted to "analog output" for sound output port.

No sound now. sometimes it lets me reconfigure the audio to use HDMI out and when it does it works, but when i leave steam and go back its back to the other analog defaults.

So if you dont run pulse the second time steam doesnt see any audio devices? Or it has selected the wrong out put? Maybe you need a sleep in between starting pulse and steam..

RE: [RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within Kodi - abs0lut - 2016-05-10

@teeedubb

at first great guide, thank you dude!

I followed your guide and it worked pretty well except some little issues I will care about later, but I have one major issue, I would like to fix before i go on.

I use Kodibuntu 16.1 on an Intel HTPC.
Before I installed wmctrl and OpenBox my System automountet nearly every drive i plugged in (NTFS, FAT32 on USB, ext. HDD, ext. SSD) and automaticaly displayed them in Kodi (Like Windows Plug and Play).

But when I install wmctrl and OpenBox and set Kodi as default session in OpenBox it's not working anymore.
I can see the connected drives listed when I run lsusb but they are not displayed in Kodi anymore...

I already did a full clean reinstall of Kodibuntu and installed everything step by step with the same result.

Maybe you have an idea whats going wrong?

Help please Confused

RE: [RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within Kodi - teeedubb - 2016-05-10

Maybe because kodi isnt running in standalone mode anymore. Try installing udevil and running devmon on startup.

RE: [RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within Kodi - abs0lut - 2016-05-10

ty for the fast reply

I will try it right after i finished work and will give a feedback if it worked.

Or try changing your openbox autostart file to run kodi in standalone mode

/usr/bin/kodi --standalone

If I set kodi to standalone, will it still close and reopen with the pre and post script when I launch/quit steam addon?

RE: [RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within Kodi - dustinarden - 2016-05-10

(2016-05-10, 09:52)teeedubb Wrote: So if you dont run pulse the second time steam doesnt see any audio devices? Or it has selected the wrong out put? Maybe you need a sleep in between starting pulse and steam..

Yes. If i dont run pulseaudio the second time then steam shows "cannot connect to audio interface". When i manually run "pulseaudio" (without the --start option) via ssh after steam has started ... it then allows me to reconfigure audio.

I added a sleep 10 in the pre-steam.sh script and it didnt help anything.

so running pulseaudio --start after steam loads doesnt give any errors
running just pulseaudio gives me the daemon already started error.

dustin@kodibuntu:~$ pulseaudio --start
dustin@kodibuntu:~$ pulseaudio
E: [pulseaudio] pid.c: Daemon already running.
E: [pulseaudio] main.c: pa_pid_file_create() failed.

@absolut not sure, but I don't think it will cause any issues

@dustinarden maybe try using just pulseaudio in the pre-steam script. Or maybe running pulse twice like you have above in The pre-steam script. But it's strange that it works after pulse is run twice

well .. it "works" but its very weird in that
A - the settings dont "stick" in steam
B - i cant get steam sound to work at all now. I'm not sure exactly what I did a few days ago to get it to work but im pretty sure it was by messing with the default.pa file and or the asoundrc file.

ok .. tried just "pulseaudio" in pre-steam and i guess that doesnt work at all, because it just goes to openbox and sits there.

launching kodi from the right click menu launches kodi, but no sound.

something i just noticed.

when i first go into steam it ALWAYS says "cant connect to audio device" .. but if i exit the audio interface section and go immediately back into it - settings are there.

So me running pulseaudio from the command line has nothing to do with this, which is why i'm seeing the "already running" errors i suppose.

what the hell would cause it to not show the interface until i exit the menu and go back into it?

i've tried various amounts of sleep times in the prescript and nothing changes. There has to be a setting in default.pa or something that is causing this.

hhhh sorry .. totally spamming this thread.

so ..

following advice in post 693

I added the following line to my default.pa
load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:0,3

and commented out
#load-module module-udev-detect

started and BOOM .. sound in STEAM .. however when i go into the audio interfaces section - steam crashes and i get dumped back to kodi (w/ working sound).

any idea why those settings in default.pa would cause steam to crash? i'm going to test a game real quick and make sure i have sound in games as well.

EDIT - games have sound too. why the hell is steam crashing when accessing the audio interfaces screen?

I tried to set kodi as standalone

now I ended up with a black screen after rebooting, with nothing but my mouse arrow in the middle.

I tried this config: autostart.sh

Code:
export DISPLAY=:0
xsetroot -solid black &
/usr/bin/kodi-standalone &

After the blackscreen I tried to set it back to:

Code:
export DISPLAY=:0
xsetroot -solid black &
/usr/bin/kodi &

but I still get the black screen after rebooting.

EDIT:

Fixed the black screen by removing openbox.desktop from /usr/share/xsessions

Any idea what I did wrong by setting up kodi as standalone? I would prefer this method if we can get this running

EDIT EDIT:

Standalone works now and drives are displayed in Kodi now aswell.

RE: [RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within Kodi - teeedubb - 2016-05-11

@absolut you missed the space between kodi and --standalone, the black screen is the openbox desktop

@dustinarden check your log files for both steam and pulseaudio