Kodi Community Forum
OpenELEC ☆ Build #2 - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: OpenELEC ☆ Build #2 (/showthread.php?tid=165880)

OpenELEC ☆ Build #2 - eskro - 2013-05-28

Image Image

[CASE/MOBO/CPU/GPU/RAM/HDD/PSU] Acer VN2620G-UC887L / Celeron 887 / Intel HD Graphics / 2GB / 320GB / 65W ($238)
TOTAL: $238

Pros?
* FULL 2D 1080P Ready!!
* Bitstreams DOLBY TRUE-HD & DTS-HD MASTER!!
* Built-in WiFi!!
* Built-in Bluetooth!!
* 1 x HDMI output!!
* 1 x SATA-II port!!
* 2 x USB 3.0 ports!!
* 2 x USB 2.0 ports!!
* 1 x Multi Card Reader slot!!

Cons?
* won't do FULL 3D 1080P!!
* no Optical (S/PDIF) output!!
* no SATA-III port!!

RE: OpenELEC ☆ Build #4 - Ned Scott - 2013-05-28

See, this is much better than builds #1 and #2 and it costs less.

RE: OpenELEC ☆ Build #4 - Dougie Fresh - 2013-05-28

Sometimes the Lenovo Q190 version goes on sale for $249 so it's worth checking into as well.

You can also DIY a Celeron 1007U setup which is a Ivy Bridge Celeron 1.5Ghz with Ivy Bridge HD GPU (vs. the Celeron 8x7 which is Sandy Bridge).
There's already a Gigabyte board available at Newegg: GIGABYTE GA-C1007UN-D Intel NM70 Chipset HDMI SATA 6Gb/s Mini ITX Intel Motherboard

RE: OpenELEC ☆ Build #4 - Skank - 2013-05-28

(2013-05-28, 13:07)Ned Scott Wrote: See, this is much better than builds #1 and #2 and it costs less.

What would you get for around 100 euro?

RE: OpenELEC ☆ Build #4 - Mick1152 - 2013-05-28

(2013-05-28, 13:07)Ned Scott Wrote: See, this is much better than builds #1 and #2 and it costs less.

I agree, this is a great price/performance system!

RE: OpenELEC ☆ Build #4 - eskro - 2013-05-29

i agree too, this ACER nettop looks awesome for OpenELEC
if you dont need FULL 3D 1080P playback tho.
cuz if u do, its not for you Tongue

@Skank: go for an android mini pc then Tongue

RE: OpenELEC ☆ Build #4 - Kaeon - 2013-06-12

Anyone running this system yet? Thinking of this and using Ubuntu TV.

RE: OpenELEC ☆ Build #2 - mmatforum - 2013-06-30

Which version of OpenELEC would you install on this? Intel build?

Also, has anyone actually bought this and installed OpenElec on it?

RE: OpenELEC ☆ Build #2 - nilsbraden - 2013-07-11

Hi folks,

what I am really missing with these HTPC-Builds is any information about the noise of the devices. I bought the Acer Veriton and was quite astonished to hear it quite loudly when beeing in the same room 4m away. In a movie you can even hear it when people talk. I'ts not about pressing your ear against the device, you can hardly NOT notice the sound.

I tried to find a silent device but most descriptions even on distributors or manufacturers homepages lack information about if and how many fans are working inside a box. Take the Intel NUC for example, most descriptions state it is "small" and "silent" and so on but there is a fan ("active fan heatsink") working inside. edit: Now that I started searching for it I found several descriptions of how "silent" the NUC is. It is not. Far from silent when the fan kicks in, else quite silent. Wel...

TL;DR: I want something silent. This Acer box cannot be opened or I didn't find out how. Can I open it w/o voiding the warranty? I would like to remove the HD to see how much of the noise actually comes from the fan since I don't need much space for openelec and SD or SSD would do for me. The whole lot of Zotac ZBOXes also contains fans and I can only guess how loud they are. Building my own HTPC wasn't planned and will probably be much more expensive but I fail to see how I can avoid it :/

@mmatforum: Yes I installed Openelec and I used the Generic-Build. It contains a prepare-skript with which you can format an USB-Device to boot the machine. Then you are asked if you want the Live-Mode or install locally, I went with locall installation which worked flawlessly and after about 5 minutes I had a running Openelec box. The Bluetooth-Adapter wasn't recognized but everything else seemed to work. Didn't test Wifi though.

RE: OpenELEC ☆ Build #2 - milli - 2013-08-28

I don't think it has built-in bluetooth

RE: OpenELEC ☆ Build #2 - Silverncsu - 2013-09-02

(2013-08-28, 22:47)milli Wrote: I don't think it has built-in bluetooth

Product Name Veriton VN2620G-UC887L Celeron 887 1.5GHz 2GB 320GB
Product Type Nettop Computer
Processor Core Dual-core (2 Core)
Green Compliant Yes
Green Compliance Certificate/Authority ENERGY STAR
Memory Card Reader Yes
64-bit Processing Yes
Processor Manufacturer Intel
Chipset Manufacturer Intel
Chipset Model HM70 Express
Bluetooth No

Doesn't appear so. Would make it perfect for me.