Kodi Community Forum
[Archive] Arctic - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Arctic: Zephyr - Reloaded (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=221)
+---- Thread: [Archive] Arctic (/showthread.php?tid=170954)

RE: Arctic - pseudoheld - 2014-03-28

this skin is nearly perfect.
only small issue i have is on gothatm subtitles flags don't show up when searching for subs.
i guess this is due to the changes in the subtitle addon. sucks because i now have to guess which language i am downloading Wink
does anyone else have this issue (just checking, that its not just me... Wink )

RE: Arctic - mikkelnl - 2014-03-28

Agreed, this still is my default skin... I tried (and still try) others (including Eminence), but I really don't see how those are a step up, I honestly don't want to disrespect skinners, or jurail specific, but - for me - Arctic is sooooo much better then Eminence... Smile But hey, I know this is all a matter of taste, so to each his own Smile

RE: Arctic - DJ... - 2014-03-28

Arctic is still the best skin I've ever used. While Eminence is nice, Arctic just feels more refined, with plenty of options and customisation available...

RE: Arctic - DerekCuster - 2014-03-29

(2014-03-27, 23:52)furii Wrote:
(2014-03-27, 21:38)DerekCuster Wrote: Oxford English states abandoned as having many meaning, one of which is to "cease to support" but not indefinitely. So "kind of" and the quotes are incredibly important there... Indicate that while not semantically abandoned, it's kind of abandoned right now.

We can argue semantics all day, interpretation is a very personal thing, but as far as the use of my words, I stand by them as abandoned by definition does not mean indefinitely, and "kind of" abandoned emphasises that point even more Smile

i don't have the OED on hand so i can't tell if you're joking or not. but three separate dictionaries i do have access to have these definitions:
Quote:to leave completely and finally; forsake utterly; desert: to abandon one's farm; to abandon a child; to abandon a sinking ship.
Quote:give up completely (a course of action, a practice, or a way of thinking).
Quote:To give up absolutely; to forsake entirely; to renounce
utterly; to relinquish all connection with or concern on;
to desert, as a person to whom one owes allegiance or
fidelity; to quit; to surrender.

so either you're full of it or the OED has a vastly different definition from everyone else.

As you are quoting the free dictionary etc, I suggest you understand semantics before you continue with this. You really should let it go, as every post makes you seem very unreasonable. I'm going to assume you understand that a words meaning can change dramatically when used as a noun/verb/formal/informal and the English language caters for all (most) of these circumstances.

This is why English is one of the most difficult languages to learn.

A words meaning is defined by its context, if you don't understand this, then this discussion is fruitless. You can see here some examples of the word "abandoned" used informally from one of the sites you quoted. They show the use of the word and it's context.
http://www.macmillandictionary.com/dictionary/british/abandon

You can find many more examples by searching Oxford English and reading the myriad ways in which a word can be used.

You must account for it's context. There are many examples and I encourage you to explore them. It's a beautiful language, it evolves daily and it will never bore you.

The great thing about context, is how it changes the meaning of a word dramatically, a great example of this is the word "cnut" you can see that I have intentionally spelt the word incorrectly intentionally. This word is universally accepted as the worst of all the swear words, it's almost always an insulting and offensive word, it's meaning is not one of flattery! ... Except, for example, in (some parts) of Scotland, where your best Friends are greeted as "Awe-rite ya Cnut" Smile you are calling them a Cnut, but you mean this affectionately. This is why arguing over semantics online is seen as ridiculous, because we are from different countries, back grounds, have different standards, accents, localisms etc. I explained my meaning, it's used in a similar manner on the websites you quoted, it's acceptable, semantically and grammatically sound. So settle down Smile

You see, context is everything, and again, I stand by the use of the words "kind of abandoned" as it is "kind of" abandoned, not exactly abandoned... But something similar, not exactly, not forever, but "kind of" similar.

That my friend, is the difference, and my word does it matter!

Now, I will no longer spoil this thread with our discussion on the words used. I will look forward to an update from JM in the near future instead.

Good day Smile

Before you jump in and attack the structure, spelling etc of my post. Please note the day, time and understand this was written on an iPhone 4 with autocomplete and I dot care to go back an edit it as it's not that important to me Wink

RE: Arctic - jurialmunkey - 2014-03-29

I really don't understand what everyone is getting in a tizzy about. This skin is not abandoned in even the remotest sense of the word. I have actually done quite a bit of work towards mk.III - I just wont be sharing it until the bug fix stage (many many many months away). And even at that point it will probably only go out to few testers of my choosing because I'm pretty sick of all this type of nonsense that goes on in the wip forum.

A few points
  • The fonts licensing issue was a really big deal. The skin would never have made it to official repo with those issues.
  • I couldn't get the new fonts to a place I was happy with - this is one reason a rewrite is necessary: to ensure the skin is built with a different font in mind from the ground up so that alignments are correct without excessive font modifications.
  • Considering I am doing a rewrite, what is the point of using up my limited free time working on a version of the skin that will never make it to repo.
  • Responding to people in these forums also takes up massive chunks of my time. That's why I don't really bother posting in here that much anymore even though I read the thread pretty much daily. It is particularly frustrating that it is the same sort of requests and posts that have been answered often only a few pages back.
  • The skin is pretty much complete in terms of features (and then some) - obviously everything isn't finished, but pretty much everything works.
  • I have already stated that I will gladly add any fixes people make to outstanding issues like subs, but absolutely no one has made even the remotest effort to do so. I'm not a programmer who holds a wealth of esoteric knowledge - I just bothered to spend time learning about a project (xbmc) that I deeply appreciate. I'm am really getting to the end of my tether about the sense of entitlement some users think they have on my time - I know its the minority, but those voices are often the loudest. Open source projects are supposed to be about collaboration, not a bunch of people making demands on one guy to fulfill their every wish and whim. Try getting your hands dirty and having a go rather than expecting other people to fix everything for you.
  • Also, it is important that people have a bit of perspective. Some skins don't have any work done on them for months at a time. Just because there aren't constant updates doesn't mean everything is suddenly broken.
  • Finally, I'll state it once again for the record: github zips are **not** created by me - they are autogenerated by github, so there is nothing I can do about it being corrupted and I don't really care to go spending hours and hours of my time investigating what the issue is. If you look through this thread, I'm sure you will find plenty of alternative sources.

RE: Arctic - locomot1f - 2014-03-29

wow, @DerekCuster... thanks for telling us how you really feel.
takes a lot of guts to use that word as your example of something, 'taken out of context'... really!
usually when this happens, it's because the person speaking doesn't have the vocabulary to fully circumvent what he / she is trying to say.
and your example is not contextual, it's more situational, and ignorant.
there's nothing to take out of context.
contextual would be something like when someone often says, "those kind of people are ..."

i'm sorry for tagging on to this ridiculous conversation. but when i see / hear ignorance, i have to speak up / speak out.
personally, i don't see how something can be "kind of abandoned."
but I agree with you that this could be taken out of context.

okay, can we get back to topic now?
is there a bug or a feature you would like to see? [again, this sentence could easily be taken out of context]

RE: Arctic - thedeadman - 2014-03-30

@Jurialmunkey: You've the patience of a f$%%ing saint. Couldn't agree more with the points you've made.

RE: Arctic - trsqr - 2014-03-31

First of all, thanks JM for all your hard work and effort with the Arctic skin. The downloaded zip was working fine - I don't know what's the deal here. Switch from Confluence to Arctic was a significant step when it comes to the WAF here. Really appreciate it (is there a donate link somewhere?). I also think it's the best one I've seen for XBMC Gotham so far. I'm running OE 3.95.2.

I'm sorry if the following has been asked somewhere already, but I'd like to tweak it a bit to get the experience customized to my and my family's needs and the thread search did not yield results.

- Is it possible to get rid of the "MASTER USER" title in the upper left corner? I've only got 1 user and there's no point in displaying that.
- Would it be possible to see the current weather as a simple icon on the lower right corner for example?
- I'd like to disable the widget for Live TV (for example), but still do get the system info there even if I've disabled it in the settings. Is this expected behaviour?

Cheers!

RE: Arctic - pepeEL - 2014-03-31

How i can set customize sleep timer ? In shutdown menu i dont see this option. In confluence is this option. Please help me.

RE: Arctic - culprit - 2014-04-01

Hey jurialmunkey

I really appreciate the work you put in this skin and I'm looking forward to mk.III, even if it'll take a long time. I got into (video) plugin development a few months ago but my skills are still very basic. Nonetheless I'll probably try to get myself familiar with skin development and try to commit some fixes / features to mk.II if they are welcomed (e.g. the 3D button introduced with gotham).

Please don't let your spirit be affected too much by those toxic people, there are other people who appreciate your work a lot.

RE: Arctic - Talguy - 2014-04-01

Awww man I can't wait for artic mk3. For my artic MK2 is amazing. I am fully contempt with how it is other than a few bugs I have reported to juralmonkey that he marked down on his to-do list for the future. I have ran his other skin Eminence and its cool, super quick but I'm really confused on how somethings operate in it specific returning to the home menu from a library view. IMO I like artic better dur to its brigth neutral feeling interface. Plus it helps that it past the girlfriend acceptance factor with flying colors.

RE: Arctic - Balinus - 2014-04-01

is it me or we can't rate songs while they are playing? I'm not sure if i made a mistake on my set-up or if it's skin related to Arctic.

Thanks!

RE: Arctic - edd-- - 2014-04-02

(2014-03-28, 14:29)pseudoheld Wrote: this skin is nearly perfect.
only small issue i have is on gothatm subtitles flags don't show up when searching for subs.
i guess this is due to the changes in the subtitle addon. sucks because i now have to guess which language i am downloading Wink

I have the same issue, any workaround to this problem ?

RE: Arctic - culprit - 2014-04-02

(2014-04-02, 08:10)edd-- Wrote:

I've found a fix, I've requested a git pull on GitHub so that jurialmunkeys repo will be updated.

RE: Arctic - edd-- - 2014-04-03

(2014-04-02, 20:31)culprit Wrote:
(2014-04-02, 08:10)edd-- Wrote:

I've found a fix, I've requested a git pull on GitHub so that jurialmunkeys repo will be updated.

Does this mean that it should be solved with the latest git version ? What is juralmonkey's repo url ?