• 87(current)
[Archive] Arctic
Is there any possibility of this skin working in the future with the XBMC Karaoke Addon?
2 small requests Smile

1 - can a new download (zip) be added to allow us to grab the latest version.
2 - is it possible to change/set a global wallpaper/background? I can't seem to find the ability to do this anywhere?

Any advise?
(2014-03-25, 21:05)DerekCuster Wrote: 2 small requests Smile

1 - can a new download (zip) be added to allow us to grab the latest version.
2 - is it possible to change/set a global wallpaper/background? I can't seem to find the ability to do this anywhere?

Any advise?

I downloaded the corrupted zip from github. I manually unzipped it into my addons folder then launched xbmc. Xbmc showed it was running the latest Version of the skin when I did it this way.
Hmm. I can't extract the corrupted zip file. It says corrupt and stops the extraction?

Weird...

Never mind. It's a shame to see this kind of being abandoned though, it so close to being a complete and beautiful polished product.. Hopefully it will be revisited soon.
(2014-03-27, 10:57)DerekCuster Wrote: Hmm. I can't extract the corrupted zip file. It says corrupt and stops the extraction?

Weird...

Never mind. It's a shame to see this kind of being abandoned though, it so close to being a complete and beautiful polished product.. Hopefully it will be revisited soon.

Fully agree. You can download Arctic with this link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y8506c3l11mnmr...master.zip

the file arctic-master.zip is tested by me and works flawlessly.
Place the folder in the directory xbmc addon.
MacMini 2012 - MacOS 10.10 - Kodi
Fantastic!

Is this the latest version with the latest commits? If so that's great of you to have posted it for us.

Thank you for sharing this version Smile

One last thing,
I noticed on my old machine (non updated) that there is an option for "backgrounds" I think it's shown in the screenshots section stop on the first post, this allowed us to set a global wallpaper etc? Is this still possible or was this removed for some reason?
When you go to edit menu items in the skin section, there should be an option to change wallpaper. Make sure you have the wallpaper you want in the Arctic folder or you won't be able to add them
(2014-03-27, 10:57)DerekCuster Wrote: It's a shame to see this kind of being abandoned though, it so close to being a complete and beautiful polished product.. Hopefully it will be revisited soon.

it's not abandoned. jurial is working on another skin and grad school. he said it would be rewritten from the ground up in the coming months. it's as complete and bug free as nearly any other skin out there.
That's why I said "kind of" as it is "kind of" being abandoned as:

A: You can't actually download anymore (corrupt zip)
B: It's not as actively updated as the new WIP
C: The thread is very inactive in comparison to previously.

I'd say an unfinished skin, with no means to download, while a new skin is developed and then a complete rewrite of this one would constitute it "kind of" being abandoned at this particular moment in time Smile

I wasn't being mean or anything, just one minute is was all a buzz in here, then silence, no way way to down load and no further updates.. Our views may differ, but is say it's ok to say that it seems that it's "kind of" being abandoned Wink
well, A is flat out wrong. i was able to just download and successfully extract the zip from here: https://github.com/jurialmunkey/skin.arc...master.zip
and even if the zip is corrupted for some people one could actually use git the way it was intended and clone it.

i guess one place where we disagree is how complete the skin is. aside from a few bug here and there i would hardly call this incomplete. every xbmc core function and then some is included.

where i have issue is the use of the word abandoned as it is incorrect. if jurial had no intention of ever updating the skin again, then you'd be correct. there are plenty of skins that have been abandoned, just look at anything by hitcher. development of arctic might be on hiatus but it's not abandoned. i think it would be unfair for someone just learning of the skin to come here, go to the last page and see someone say the work has been abandoned when that is not the case.
Eh a is not flat out wrong? Even JM has acknowledges that the zip is corrupt?
Also, git is not working for all as it's intended Wink

Also I never once said the skin was inconplete? I said it was close to being complete, the fact that the skin is in WIP means JM agrees that the skin is a Work in progress and not yet complete Smile

Also, I said it was "kind of" abandoned and that I hoped it would be re-visited soon.

Oxford English states abandoned as having many meaning, one of which is to "cease to support" but not indefinitely. So "kind of" and the quotes are incredibly important there... Indicate that while not semantically abandoned, it's kind of abandoned right now.

We can argue semantics all day, interpretation is a very personal thing, but as far as the use of my words, I stand by them as abandoned by definition does not mean indefinitely, and "kind of" abandoned emphasises that point even more Smile
(2014-03-27, 20:07)DerekCuster Wrote: That's why I said "kind of" as it is "kind of" being abandoned as:

A: You can't actually download anymore (corrupt zip)
B: It's not as actively updated as the new WIP
C: The thread is very inactive in comparison to previously.

I'd say an unfinished skin, with no means to download, while a new skin is developed and then a complete rewrite of this one would constitute it "kind of" being abandoned at this particular moment in time Smile

I wasn't being mean or anything, just one minute is was all a buzz in here, then silence, no way way to down load and no further updates.. Our views may differ, but is say it's ok to say that it seems that it's "kind of" being abandoned Wink

Why should someone expect daily changes or commits ? There where actually some real interesting changes in the skinning engine, so that's why a lot of skinners are thinking to clean up their skins.
I've tested arctic, and other than little tiny bugs this skin is complete at 99.9999 %

... and there is no corrupt zip file at all.

(2014-03-27, 20:52)furii Wrote: well, A is flat out wrong. i was able to just download and successfully extract the zip from here: https://github.com/jurialmunkey/skin.arc...master.zip
and even if the zip is corrupted for some people one could actually use git the way it was intended and clone it.

i guess one place where we disagree is how complete the skin is. aside from a few bug here and there i would hardly call this incomplete. every xbmc core function and then some is included.

where i have issue is the use of the word abandoned as it is incorrect. if jurial had no intention of ever updating the skin again, then you'd be correct. there are plenty of skins that have been abandoned, just look at anything by hitcher. development of arctic might be on hiatus but it's not abandoned. i think it would be unfair for someone just learning of the skin to come here, go to the last page and see someone say the work has been abandoned when that is not the case.

No comment
@butcha
I never said or expected daily updates mate %3
(2014-03-27, 13:21)DerekCuster Wrote: Fantastic!

Is this the latest version with the latest commits? If so that's great of you to have posted it for us.

Thank you for sharing this version Smile

One last thing,
I noticed on my old machine (non updated) that there is an option for "backgrounds" I think it's shown in the screenshots section stop on the first post, this allowed us to set a global wallpaper etc? Is this still possible or was this removed for some reason?

This is the latest version.
IT is Still possibel to set a Global wallpaper.
Good luck
MacMini 2012 - MacOS 10.10 - Kodi
(2014-03-27, 21:38)DerekCuster Wrote: Oxford English states abandoned as having many meaning, one of which is to "cease to support" but not indefinitely. So "kind of" and the quotes are incredibly important there... Indicate that while not semantically abandoned, it's kind of abandoned right now.

We can argue semantics all day, interpretation is a very personal thing, but as far as the use of my words, I stand by them as abandoned by definition does not mean indefinitely, and "kind of" abandoned emphasises that point even more Smile

i don't have the OED on hand so i can't tell if you're joking or not. but three separate dictionaries i do have access to have these definitions:
Quote:to leave completely and finally; forsake utterly; desert: to abandon one's farm; to abandon a child; to abandon a sinking ship.
Quote:give up completely (a course of action, a practice, or a way of thinking).
Quote:To give up absolutely; to forsake entirely; to renounce
utterly; to relinquish all connection with or concern on;
to desert, as a person to whom one owes allegiance or
fidelity; to quit; to surrender.

so either you're full of it or the OED has a vastly different definition from everyone else.
  • 87(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Archive] Arctic24