Kodi Community Forum
Native Object-Based Storage Support for XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Kodi related discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Native Object-Based Storage Support for XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=183747)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

RE: Native Object-Based Storage Support for XBMC - poplap - 2014-02-01

Hey could you test what kind of read/write performance you're getting with your setup, would like to compare it to something like ZFS which can be really fast if you have a good setup.

One thing I'm having trouble finding is if I can have an SSDs as cache, similar to ZFS, to boost read/write speed. If I were to use Openstack Swift it would be for more than movie, I do some high performance applications as well. I know there is Openstack Cider for block storage, but I'm not sure if it can be ran on the same server as Swift.

RE: Native Object-Based Storage Support for XBMC - Harro - 2014-02-01

Well if you won't say, then I won't give you any suggestions on things I have all ready tried that proved fruitful.
Since you are posting in a public forum I would think a back and forth idea exchange is helpful. But apparently you have the answers and just want the rest of us to guess. So have fun.

RE: Native Object-Based Storage Support for XBMC - nickr - 2014-02-01

(2014-02-01, 09:14)Harro Wrote: Well if you won't say, then I won't give you any suggestions on things I have all ready tried that proved fruitful.
Since you are posting in a public forum I would think a back and forth idea exchange is helpful. But apparently you have the answers and just want the rest of us to guess. So have fun.
+1

RE: Native Object-Based Storage Support for XBMC - jacintech.fire - 2014-02-02

Fellas,
I have to work in the real world sometimes. Getting an internet connection in West Brava (Cape Verde) is not always easy...
Like I said, I just want my library to grow and not have to worry about size. 512MB, OR 512GB, or 512TB, 512ExB...

RE: Native Object-Based Storage Support for XBMC - jacintech.fire - 2014-02-11

For those interested: OpenStack Operations Guide [PDF]

RE: Native Object-Based Storage Support for XBMC - TerrorKeed - 2014-02-12

Hmm jacintech.fire the man that never gives up. Smile)

RE: Native Object-Based Storage Support for XBMC - jacintech.fire - 2014-02-12

(2014-02-12, 13:05)TerrorKeed Wrote: Hmm jacintech.fire the man that never gives up. Smile)
This is the future...Change is hard and if we ONLY did what we were supposed to do, we would still be living in caves, wouldn't we Rofl

RE: Native Object-Based Storage Support for XBMC - TerrorKeed - 2014-02-12

True

RE: Native Object-Based Storage Support for XBMC - poplap - 2014-02-12

(2014-02-11, 21:14)jacintech.fire Wrote: For those interested: OpenStack Operations Guide [PDF]

Going to need to find some time to read it. Hows openstack holding up??

RE: Native Object-Based Storage Support for XBMC - nickr - 2014-02-12

(2014-02-12, 18:44)jacintech.fire Wrote:
(2014-02-12, 13:05)TerrorKeed Wrote: Hmm jacintech.fire the man that never gives up. Smile)
This is the future...Change is hard and if we ONLY did what we were supposed to do, we would still be living in caves, wouldn't we Rofl
Then again, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

I am not sure what is broken about current storage models for the amount of data commonly stored by home xbmc users.

And providing storage for TBs of movies/tv files in a non home or shared environment is almost certainly illegal without permission of the copyright holders, I don't see the point of such a complex technology hammer to crack the home storage peanut.

RE: Native Object-Based Storage Support for XBMC - TerrorKeed - 2014-02-13

(2014-02-12, 23:10)nickr Wrote:
(2014-02-12, 18:44)jacintech.fire Wrote:

I am not sure what is broken about current storage models for the amount of data commonly stored by home xbmc users.

And providing storage for TBs of movies/tv files in a non home or shared environment is almost certainly illegal without permission of the copyright holders, I don't see the point of such a complex technology hammer to crack the home storage peanut.

"Our Honorable judge" You've opposed this thread right from start and nothing in here impresses you don't you know it's time to stop for once...

afterall there is small saying that : "If you can't join them, leave them be" Wink

RE: Native Object-Based Storage Support for XBMC - jacintech.fire - 2014-02-13

I just got the hardware to build the first Openstack cluster. For now is just three nodes of approx 10TB each. The plans is to do the following
1) Build the openStack Stack and enable the compute, storage and networking module
2) Export the stored objects as samba shares and link it with XBMC as is (this is the trickiest part, as the objects must be stored in such a way that I can either interact directly with the object store; or within a volume that I can export using samba...)
3) Write a utility to "dump" a portion of the media library into the Object Store
4) DO real world testing of the whole setup with XBMC and compare it with the current setup
5) Determine if Openstack "holds the mustard"; if yes
6) Move the rest of the library (brag about it endlessly on the list, name myself king of the world, etc.); if no
7) Fess up and beg for forgiveness

Also, please keep in mind that like yourselves, I have a "real world" job to attend to and right now things are a bit busy. I haven't had the time to re-visit this whole experiment in a few weeks and will not be able to for another week or so...please be patient, as soon as I have everything up and running, I will post the step-by-step I've taken...

RE: Native Object-Based Storage Support for XBMC - nickr - 2014-02-13

(2014-02-13, 10:18)TerrorKeed Wrote:
(2014-02-12, 23:10)nickr Wrote:
(2014-02-12, 18:44)jacintech.fire Wrote: This is the future...Change is hard and if we ONLY did what we were supposed to do, we would still be living in caves, wouldn't we Rofl

"Our Honorable judge" You've opposed this thread right from start and nothing in here impresses you don't you know it's time to stop for once...

afterall there is small saying that : "If you can't join them, leave them be" Wink

Could you explain then how the average xbmc user is going to benefit from this technology.

RE: Native Object-Based Storage Support for XBMC - jacintech.fire - 2014-02-13

Short answer: Once this is deployed, you no longer have to worry about the size of your library, where it is stored, how to manage it, etc. etc. etc...ad infinitum...

RE: Native Object-Based Storage Support for XBMC - nickr - 2014-02-13

Well maybe, but:

1. you still need to buy disks when you run out of space; and
2. you seem to need quite a few servers to make it work - most people want as simple and inexpensive a setup as possible in their home.

I mean neat to see you working on this, but can't see the point for most users.

Then again no one will ever need more than 640k ram!