Kodi Community Forum
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio (/showthread.php?tid=221407)

RE: Media Player Choices with Kodi + Full 3D + HD Audio - hdmkv - 2015-12-09

(2015-12-09, 03:46)wrxtasy Wrote: That confirms what I saw on their supposed GitHub account, no HD and no 3D. It was all Skin modifications. If the box you have is their commercial release device then it is a case of more false advertising and frankly the Kodi and wider community deserve better. We actually have to stop giving these types of devices free advertising. Its all bullshit.

Could very well be. They're claiming via e-mail to me that V8 indeed supports 3D and HD audio, and will connect me w/their engineers. Pretty certain I have the sample box set-up properly & the issues are NOT with my set-up as they sort of implied.

Anyway, I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt(s) for now, until there's clarity, as 3D ISO playback for one is clearly, prominently advertised on the unit and box/packaging (my sample unit only has TLBB logo missing on top-right, but is the final production end-user hardware, not a prototype):

If 3D and HD audio worked, this actually would be a worthy box:
- Snappier under OpenELEC (compared to S812 under Android)
- Can handle up to 80Mbps well via wired (though this should be improved further, especially for 4K)
- Venz's OpenELEC/Kodi UI customizations are actually quite nice (see below)
- Nice set-up wizard, and no pirated add-ons like TLBB of past (see below)

Some photos & screenshots:
- TLBB V8 4K retail box photo (not mine)
- With other 3D players (except Shield) being tested
- Initial TLBB OpenELEC screen
- Auto-updating starts
- TLBB's custom wizard starts
- TLBB auto-updating continues
- One of the TLBB wizard screens
- After auto-updates complete, TLBB Kodi settings menu
- Kodi version pre-installed
- Kodi system info screen
- AMCodec H/W acceleration
- Audio set-up/options (not right for HDMI/HD audio)
- Audio set-up/options (contd.) (again, not right for HD audio)
- TLBB OpenELEC 'About' screen
- TLBB Kodi UI (I chose their modded Artic skin)

So, their 'movies' & 'TV shows' sections have pre-populated posters/metadata for latest movies & TV shows, and at first I thought 'uh oh, pirated shit', but they all point to YouTube and other legal source trailers & movie clips/promos.

RE: Media Player Choices with Kodi + Full 3D + HD Audio - dukester - 2015-12-09

highly doubt we'll see 3D under Openelec with this box, Codesnake said so himself.. but if its possible and he gets it working somehow for them its pretty safe to assume it will be implemented in all his amlogic Openelec builds, which will give me full 3D mvc support on my Chinese M8, so hes for hoping this box comes through!!

The first issue is why only SPDIF is shown (if you see my 2 audio screenshots above), and grayed-out w/no other options. Should be HDMI audio as obviously can't get HD audio with SPDIF. Maybe resolving this will allow HD audio and 3D to play.

RE: Media Player Choices with Kodi + Full 3D + HD Audio - dukester - 2015-12-09

with codesnakes builds on my m8, its just like that, says spdif greyed out but hdmi passthrough is working, not sure what comes out of spdif as i havent tried.

RE: Media Player Choices with Kodi + Full 3D + HD Audio - wrxtasy - 2015-12-09

(2015-12-09, 18:09)hdmkv Wrote: The first issue is why only SPDIF is shown (if you see my 2 audio screenshots above), and grayed-out w/no other options. Should be HDMI audio as obviously can't get HD audio with SPDIF. Maybe resolving this will allow HD audio and 3D to play.
Same on all OpenELEC AMLogic devices, HDMI/SPDIF Audio is output via the same ALSA sink. There is nothing to be resolved.
Also these so called TLBB Wizard opening screens are nothing but re-titled bog standard OpenELEC startup screens, nothing special.
I'm seeing nothing but a re-skinned Kodi, using a bog standard OpenELEC image on a S812.
The OpenELEC code is freely available and so are the Skins.

151 Euros for this device is some sort of sick joke if it does not come with a customised Linux Kernel to allow HD audio or 3D. This is no trivial coding matter.
I would expect a TV Tuner to be incorporated into a box at this price too.
You are more likely to see HD Audio passthrough on the new AMLogic S905 before this device even gets out of the starting blocks !

RE: Media Player Choices with Kodi + Full 3D + HD Audio - movie78 - 2015-12-09

(2015-12-09, 19:01)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2015-12-09, 18:09)hdmkv Wrote: The first issue is why only SPDIF is shown (if you see my 2 audio screenshots above), and grayed-out w/no other options. Should be HDMI audio as obviously can't get HD audio with SPDIF. Maybe resolving this will allow HD audio and 3D to play.
Same on all OpenELEC AMLogic devices, HDMI/SPDIF Audio is output via the same ALSA sink. There is nothing to be resolved.
Also these so called TLBB Wizard opening screens are nothing but re-titled bog standard OpenELEC startup screens, nothing special.
I'm seeing nothing but a re-skinned Kodi, using a bog standard OpenELEC image on a S812.
The OpenELEC code is freely available and so are the Skins.

151 Euros for this device is some sort of sick joke if it does not come with a customised Linux Kernel to allow HD audio or 3D. This is no trivial coding matter.
I would expect a TV Tuner to be incorporated into a box at this price too.
You are more likely to see HD Audio passthrough on the new AMLogic S905 before this device even gets out of the starting blocks !

+1

Again, our suspicions about V8 not being able to do 3D or HD audio could very well turn out to be true, but I'm finding it hard to believe they'd be so clueless as to not know what either is & insist they're supported.

(2015-12-09, 20:16)hdmkv Wrote: Again, our suspicions about V8 not being able to do 3D or HD audio could very well turn out to be true, but I'm finding it hard to believe they'd be so clueless as to not know what either is & insist they're supported.

Same thing with Zidoo, before the X6 was release,the claim that 3D MVC was working,if this manufactures are trying to sell these product half-baked i don't think this the right place for them to advertise.

Too much smart people in this forum.Blush

Well, I won't be reviewing the TLBB V8 4K. Discussed with them & didn't care for replies...

TLBB is
Quote:preparing a firmware update that will enable HD Audio passthrough on the TLBB
and
Quote:As for the support on MVC 3D, our hardware supports BD ISO 3D, just Kodi does not.

My reply...
Quote:That’s unfortunate, as the way you’re currently promoting V8 is going to upset many users. When you say “Blu-ray 3D”, people who know anything by what that means will expect full, frame-packed MVC playback... I’d strongly advise that you remove all ‘3D Blu-ray’ (and any HD audio) mentions everywhere (box/packaging, websites, marketing collateral) and instead tout what this box is best at ... pure linux, snappier than Android OS boxes w/same chip, easy/guided OpenELEC and Kodi set-up, automatic OTA updates, etc... I don’t plan to review this box now as it doesn’t do the two key things it was expected to: full 3D and HD audio.

Ugh! Thankfully, only lost 2 hours of my life on this, and hopefully saved aggravation to anyone intending to blind-buy this box for 3D and HD audio.

(2015-12-09, 21:48)hdmkv Wrote: Well, I won't be reviewing the TLBB V8 4K. Discussed with them & didn't care for replies...

TLBB is
Quote:preparing a firmware update that will enable HD Audio passthrough on the TLBB
and
Quote:As for the support on MVC 3D, our hardware supports BD ISO 3D, just Kodi does not.

My reply...
Quote:That’s unfortunate, as the way you’re currently promoting V8 is going to upset many users. When you say “Blu-ray 3D”, people who know anything by what that means will expect full, frame-packed MVC playback... I’d strongly advise that you remove all ‘3D Blu-ray’ (and any HD audio) mentions everywhere (box/packaging, websites, marketing collateral) and instead tout what this box is best at ... pure linux, snappier than Android OS boxes w/same chip, easy/guided OpenELEC and Kodi set-up, automatic OTA updates, etc... I don’t plan to review this box now as it doesn’t do the two key things it was expected to: full 3D and HD audio.

Ugh! Thankfully, only lost 2 hours of my life on this, and hopefully saved aggravation to anyone intending to blind-buy this box for 3D and HD audio.

WOW!!!!!

RE: Media Player Choices with Kodi + Full 3D + HD Audio - halfelite - 2015-12-09

So same ol ol. Put the features the chipset can handle on the box and put it out.

RE: Media Player Choices with Kodi + Full 3D + HD Audio - Möhre - 2015-12-09

Hi, I am wondering if - in general - the new NUC (NUC6i3SYH) can handle frame packed 3D @ (scaled up) 4k screen resolution on its DP and with its CPU/GPU. I would like to replace my old one. I found some posts where people using Windows with e.g. PowerDVD got it managed to run fine. So maybe it will be Kodi future safe =)

Maybe someone has some experience/knowledge on that - thx!

RE: Media Player Choices with Kodi + Full 3D + HD Audio - dchabby - 2015-12-10

(2015-12-09, 15:39)dchabby Wrote:
(2015-12-06, 17:56)hdmkv Wrote: Believe it can under Windows w/PDVD. You can use Cyberlink's BD & 3D Advisor to find out.

funny thing - I downloaded this tool last night onto the Stream Mini and it came up as a positive that I can play 3d blu rays.

I went through all the settings and they seem right. it almost looks like it is playing the iso in 3d but its not registering on the TV, will try again tonight on my W1070 projector and see if that makes a difference

tried this on my projector before I went to work and didn't work

anyone think the hdmi port is not 3d capable ? Think it will work if I go through the displayport ?

Am I grasping at straws here ? LOL

RE: Media Player Choices with Kodi + Full 3D + HD Audio - wizziwig - 2015-12-10

(2015-12-10, 00:04)dchabby Wrote:
(2015-12-09, 15:39)dchabby Wrote:
(2015-12-06, 17:56)hdmkv Wrote: Believe it can under Windows w/PDVD. You can use Cyberlink's BD & 3D Advisor to find out.

funny thing - I downloaded this tool last night onto the Stream Mini and it came up as a positive that I can play 3d blu rays.

I went through all the settings and they seem right. it almost looks like it is playing the iso in 3d but its not registering on the TV, will try again tonight on my W1070 projector and see if that makes a difference

tried this on my projector before I went to work and didn't work

anyone think the hdmi port is not 3d capable ? Think it will work if I go through the displayport ?

Am I grasping at straws here ? LOL

Intel Windows drivers only support frame-packed 24p 3D output on Core i3/i5/i7/M and Desktop Baytrail Atom. Regular Celeron/Pentium processors do no support it. It's not a hardware limitation since the mode can be set in Linux but Intel will not enable it in Windows for some marketing reasons. Unfortunately, there is no playback software in Linux to take advantage of this feature (as far as I know).

RE: Media Player Choices with Kodi + Full 3D + HD Audio - Stereodude - 2015-12-10

(2015-12-09, 21:48)hdmkv Wrote:
ROFLAMO!!! Just think of how HP and Dell could advertise OS-less hardware with that uber-twisted logic.