Kodi Community Forum
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio (/showthread.php?tid=221407)

RE: Kodi Media Player Options with Full 3D & HD Audio - nick w - 2016-03-18

(2016-03-18, 03:52)nc88keyz Wrote: If you enjoy 3D its certainly worth it... Frame packed 3d from ISO / MVC is a treat.

I think you can do it on a 3rd gen nuc and higher.

Almost the holy grail,

Framepacked 3D hardware decoding , Bitstreaming, Atmos, I have some best of 3D isos too from avsforum that is like eye candy for this stuff.

I use remote launcher to launch kodi from desktop, and crash kodi if needed since this is pretty alpha builds we are talking about.
I then switch over Yatse for full control, and things have been working very nice on a haswell i5 nuc. I am very glad I went for the i5 over the i3 for that little more horsepower. It was an easy decision once i thought about my plans to purchase a 4k tv. Even though it wont support 4k 3d resolutions. other than 1080p and 720p per driver support

now....i wait for openelec support and shield support....just a matter of time for the brilliant minds and maybe a carrot from nvidia or intel to assist.
Thanks nc88keyz

Going to look at a nuc when things settle down and openelec fully supports nc88keyzMVC decoding

Thanks for the replies chaps

RE: Kodi Media Player Options with Full 3D & HD Audio - hdmkv - 2016-03-18

On OpenELEC would be ideal, but who knows how likely. Shield probably has a better chance. But, for now, having it on Windows is a big treat.

RE: Kodi Media Player Options with Full 3D & HD Audio - hdmkv - 2016-03-20

My review of 3D MVC w/Intel h/w under Windows now posted here.

RE: Kodi Media Player Options with Full 3D & HD Audio - 3duser - 2016-03-20

How I can exhibit using rpi 2b+ the right eye form mkv mvc files in 2d using omxplayer without kodi.

RE: Kodi Media Player Options with Full 3D & HD Audio - nickr - 2016-03-20

that's the definition of a question that is nothing to do with kodi!

RE: Kodi Media Player Options with Full 3D & HD Audio - DeejayT - 2016-03-20

hi, for now i have a nvidia shield box. everything works fine, only the unsupported full 3d playback makes me sad. what is our opinion, switch to a himedia q5-4k3D / pro (next month) or wait for nvidia?! I don't know what i have to do?

RE: Kodi Media Player Options with Full 3D & HD Audio - Jönke - 2016-03-20

Buy a Raspberry pi 3 for 3d use

+1... or HiMedia Q10 Pro if you also need 4K (it does 3D and 4K well), or Intel NUC w/MVC if you don't need 4K (see my review link above).

Pi3 plays full 3D Isos? What is with DTS HD, Atmos and the other audio formats. 4K is not relevant for me, but 3D and audio formats with passthrough!

RE: Kodi Media Player Options with Full 3D & HD Audio - noggin - 2016-03-20

(2016-03-20, 18:41)DeejayT Wrote: Pi3 plays full 3D Isos?
Yes - the Pi 3 (and Pi 2 - not sure about Pi 0/1) play 3D ISOs and 3D MVC MKVs well and output 1080/24p Frame Packed Full HD resolution over HDMI (not HSBS or HTAB) 3D MVC MKV has been available for quite a while, 3D ISO is a bit more recent (the 3D Blu-ray ISO standard is non-trivial)

Quote:What is with DTS HD, Atmos and the other audio formats. 4K is not relevant for me, but 3D and audio formats with passthrough!

The VC4 VPU/GPU that the Pi is based on can't bitstream DTS HD MA/HRA or Dolby True HD, so it is limited to bitstreaming DD/DTS (not sure about DD+). HOWEVER, DTS HD MA/HRA and Dolby True HD have open source decoders now, and all of the Pis will output PCM 5.1/7.1 at 24bit 48k/96k (though only 4.0 at 192k) This means that the Pi 2 and Pi 3 can software decode DTS HD MA and Dolby True HD and output lossless PCM (Pi 1 and possibly Pi 0 don't have the CPU power required) delivering the same sound quality (*) that you would receive if you bitstreamed. Unfortunately DTS:x and Dolby Atmos can't be software decoded - and currently require bitstreaming - so the Pi 2/3 can deliver lossless DTS HD MA and Dolby True HD (apart from the - literally - handful of 192kHz 5.1/7.1 releases) but can't deliver DTS:x and Dolby Atmos.

But for £30 I'm not complaining...

3D MVC with lossless decoded HD Audio isn't bad. (Early Blu-ray players and devices like the PS3 and I think the PS4 also use decoding to PCM for HD Audio - it's not just the Pi series that does it)

Thanks,
actually I want to keep that shield box as they all may be up to 3d . only I have a new 3d projector and I want to use them. really a stupid sitution

They may, or may not. I wouldn't count on it. As you say 4K is not relevant to you, Pi3 (or even Pi2) as noggin suggested is an excellent option for 3D ISO's and MVC MKV's, with HD audio decoded (vs. bitstreamed), fine for the most part. If you want bitstreamed, then HiMedia Q5/Q10 (current-gen) or Q10 Pro next month. Or, Intel NUC as I suggested.

RE: Kodi Media Player Options with Full 3D & HD Audio - noggin - 2016-03-20

(2016-03-20, 19:00)DeejayT Wrote: Thanks,
actually I want to keep that shield box as they all may be up to 3d . only I have a new 3d projector and I want to use them. really a stupid sitution

Not really that stupid. There are very few solutions that will deliver 3D MVC, HD Bitstreaming and DRM-ed services, so lots of us end up with two devices (or a Smart TV that does DRM services)

A Windows 10 PC may be the only solution currently. (The Wetek Core does almost everything but doesn't output Frame Packed 3D HD, the nVidia Shield doesn't output 3D, the Pi 2/3 doesn't do DRMed services like Netflix and decodes rather than bitstreaming HD Audio)

Right, and even Windows will do HD Netflix and Amazon, but not 4K for those.

RE: Kodi Media Player Options with Full 3D & HD Audio - tate1293 - 2016-03-21

(2016-03-20, 03:48)hdmkv Wrote: My review of 3D MVC w/Intel h/w under Windows now posted here.

The link here and in the OP goes to a "this specified thread does not exist". Was the thread moved?