Kodi Community Forum
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio (/showthread.php?tid=221407)

RE: Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio - aoaaron - 2020-10-18

If wanting to play 3D films via your PC, do you still need 3-D capable video drivers to pass through the 3D metadata to the display?

RE: Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio - Krobar - 2020-11-10

(2020-10-18, 19:33)aoaaron Wrote: If wanting to play 3D films via your PC, do you still need 3-D capable video drivers to pass through the 3D metadata to the display?

Yes. Happy to be corrected but status is as follows:
Intel - Must use Non HDMI 2.0 output for most hardware - Windows 2004 forces 3D mode if Display Option ticked
Nvidia - Need to use driver from early 2020 or earlier - Windows 2004 forces 3D mode if Display Option ticked
AMD - Driver still supports 3D - Not sure if Windows 2004 causes problem

RE: Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio - User 309201 - 2020-11-12

@hdmkv - one film I'm a little surprised isn't mentioned in the first post of this thread is Alita: Battle Angel - it was made natively in 3D and looks much better in that format than it does in 4K. (I'll leave you to decide if it's a "must see" or a "guilty pleasure").

Another good one (definitely a "must see") is Pixar's Coco - again, it's much better in 3D than in 4K.

RE: Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio - hdmkv - 2020-11-12

Good call-outs; added, thanks!

RE: Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio - User 309201 - 2020-11-13

(2020-11-12, 18:11)hdmkv Wrote: Good call-outs; added, thanks!

Actually, just about any Pixar film that's available in 3D could probably be added. Up! is certainly a good example, and Inside Out is a definite must-see.

RE: Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio - tmihai20 - 2020-11-19

I totally recommend Upside Down. It was among the first I have ever seen in 3D. It is an old movie, probably the first that takes proper advantage of 3D. I also liked The Art of Flight (I actually bought the BluRays when I was in Germany), Guardians of the Galaxy 1 and 2, but also Ghost in the Shell.

RE: Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio - greganka - 2020-11-25

(2020-11-10, 14:09)Krobar Wrote:
(2020-10-18, 19:33)aoaaron Wrote: If wanting to play 3D films via your PC, do you still need 3-D capable video drivers to pass through the 3D metadata to the display?

Intel - Must use Non HDMI 2.0 output for most hardware - Windows 2004 forces 3D mode if Display Option ticked
Nvidia - Need to use driver from early 2020 or earlier - Windows 2004 forces 3D mode if Display Option ticked

So I just got into the 3D movies by purchasing a projector that theaters are closed now. I'd love to try it. 
My PC is running Windows 10 (AMD Ryzen) and an RTX3080 so using older drivers for me is out of the question.
Is there any way to make my 3D movies play? I can have them as an ISO.

RE: Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio - robl45 - 2020-11-25

(2020-11-25, 15:45)greganka Wrote:

So I just got into the 3D movies by purchasing a projector that theaters are closed now. I'd love to try it. 
My PC is running Windows 10 (AMD Ryzen) and an RTX3080 so using older drivers for me is out of the question.
I would recommend using KODI with DSplayer or just kodi with mpc-be mpc-hc or whatever with madvr and lav filters.  I've been using that combo for years for 3D.

RE: Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio - shaktoo - 2020-11-25

BTW what hardware would anyone recommend for 3D content in late 2020 & early 2021.
Seems to me that there is Nothing in last few years. Especially if one wants 4K native with 3D & especially passive rather then active.( Own a Passive LG 47')
I have looked & looked and the best would be a 1080p projector 
Anyone  with any suggestions before I buy a 4K non 3D 85" TV and RIP my 3D ?

RE: Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio - hdmkv - 2020-11-25

Passive vs. active are display options, and the source player shouldn't matter. The most "new" players would be Vero 4K+ for solid 4K & full 3D, or the new Zidoo Z9X or variant. For display, if you're considering an 85" TV, think you may as well go bigger with a projector. The BenQ & Optoma DLP PJ's are very good for 3D, and do a decent job with 4K as well.

RE: Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio - User 309201 - 2020-11-26

(2020-11-25, 20:50)shaktoo Wrote: BTW what hardware would anyone recommend for 3D content in late 2020 & early 2021.

I guess you're asking about a display rather than a player? Honestly, I would try and find a second hand LG OLED77G6 if you possibly can. LG's last generation of 3D-enabled OLED is simply peerless for 3D. They were full resolution passive 3D, and the brightness level is simply sublime - everything looks so much more bright and colourful. I have the 65" version of the G6, and I prefer 3D on that to watching it in most cinemas.

RE: Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio - Krobar - 2020-11-29

(2020-11-25, 15:45)greganka Wrote:

My understanding is that you can install the 3DVision driver from an older driver with the newer Nvidia driver which other people have done successfully. I dont know if this will allow an RTX 3000 series to output 3D but it is worth a try.

RE: Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio - shaktoo - 2020-11-29

(2020-11-25, 23:17)hdmkv Wrote: Passive vs. active are display options, and the source player shouldn't matter. The most "new" players would be Vero 4K+ for solid 4K & full 3D, or the new Zidoo Z9X or variant. For display, if you're considering an 85" TV, think you may as well go bigger with a projector. The BenQ & Optoma DLP PJ's are very good for 3D, and do a decent job with 4K as well.
You are Correct. 
I have not upgraded to 4K and am still using contently 1080p Passive 47inch LG 3D with a 7.1 ( non Atmos ) AVR and Windows 18.9 Kodi + PDVD external player for framepacked ISO's. This has been rock solid for menus etc etc everything so never had the need to install the MVC build . ( Now I will give it a go )
I have been planning to upgrade to 4K HDR Content ( HDR 10/DV + Atmos ).  & started reading up regards hardware  and  found out that windows & a powerful HTPC  will forever be not capable of 4K HDR ( streamed content ) & currently even incapable to playing local DV MKV content. There is hope though with all recent ffmpeg work but still will be waiting for a patched build as per team-Kodi  stating that it isn't possible for K19 release.
Plus 3D had taken its last breath 2-3 year ago... new content not coming in  and no new TV in 3D. I am a fan of passive 3D and there are VERY limited Passive 3D 4K  projectors & these are only true & not Native 4K and again very limited HDR capabilities.
Can I dare make a suggestion as we have  brazen1's Thread + Wrxtasy's state of 4K thread "hdmkv's Media Player thread focusing on mostly players & software But there isn't a Thread which can guide a person looking into delving into 3D regards Display options.
I unfortunately have limited ( only 1 LG really Old 3DTV ) resources otherwise I would have loved to compile a display hardware thread.
If wrxtasy/hdmkv/brazen1   ( the HOLY TRINITY OF 3D + KODI THAT I KNOW OF ) OR  ANYONE wishes to give it a go ( creating this thread ) I can give them my full support in whichever way possible / Discuss /Chat with them regards my quest for the best 4K HDR 3D (Passive ) PJ !!! Blush

RE: Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio - dchabby - 2020-12-28

(2020-11-25, 23:17)hdmkv Wrote: Passive vs. active are display options, and the source player shouldn't matter. The most "new" players would be Vero 4K+ for solid 4K & full 3D, or the new Zidoo Z9X or variant. For display, if you're considering an 85" TV, think you may as well go bigger with a projector. The BenQ & Optoma DLP PJ's are very good for 3D, and do a decent job with 4K as well.
saw your review on the vero unit and it sounds great but at $200 local price it is a little expensive.

Now that the pi nightly builds passthrough atmos - wouldnt that be on par with the vero ?  Assuming the latest pi still does 3d.

RE: Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio - noggin - 2020-12-28

(2020-12-28, 07:26)dchabby Wrote: Now that the pi nightly builds passthrough atmos - wouldnt that be on par with the vero ?  Assuming the latest pi still does 3d.

That's the problem. At the moment there is no 3D MVC decode support on the Pi 4B, and that is the only Pi model that supports HD Audio bitstream/passthrough.

The Pi 3B+ and below will do 3D, but won't bitstream HD Audio (but they will decode non-Atmos/DTS:x stuff losslessly to PCM if it's 7.1 96k/24bit or below, or 4.0 192/24bit or below)

The Pi 4B has experimental HD Audio bitstreaming support (but I think this is still limited to HD resolutions, not 4K), but 3D MVC decode has not yet been implemented. The hardware should still be capable (as the Pi 4B has the same underlying VPU/GPU as the 3B+ and below, with a separately added HEVC decoder I believe), but I have no idea whether implementation is a high priority.

@popcornmix will know more than me though.