Kodi Community Forum
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio (/showthread.php?tid=221407)

RE: Player Choices with Kodi + Full 3D + HD Audio - Skank - 2015-10-30

(2015-10-30, 13:58)hdmkv Wrote: Just stumbled upon this... the new Apple TV apparently supports 3D. The couple of articles I found via Googling "Apple TV" and "3D" don't mention what type of 3D, but pretty interesting.

no hd audio with it, and no kodi i think

RE: Player Choices with Kodi + Full 3D + HD Audio - hdmkv - 2015-10-30

True on both counts, but if the new Apple TV has h/w MVC decoding and if gets jailbroken, may be an option. Two big if's I know, especially the latter.

RE: Player Choices with Kodi + Full 3D + HD Audio - Koying - 2015-10-30

They're talking about 3D *games* which has nothing to do with MVC.

RE: Player Choices with Kodi + Full 3D + HD Audio - noggin - 2015-10-30

(2015-10-30, 13:58)hdmkv Wrote: Just stumbled upon this... the new Apple TV apparently supports 3D. The couple of articles I found via Googling "Apple TV" and "3D" don't mention what type of 3D, but pretty interesting.

Could just be HSBS output, though possibly a 3D Frame Packed output for full resolution 3D. However 3D output and 3D replay are two independent issues. Just because you can output games in 3D doesn't mean you can replay 3D MVC content. (And any 2D player can output 3D HSBS stuff - even an ATV1)

RE: Player Choices with Kodi + Full 3D + HD Audio - movie78 - 2015-10-30

(2015-10-30, 13:11)RockerC Wrote:
(2015-10-28, 21:05)movie78 Wrote:
(2015-10-28, 20:59)nickr Wrote: Been pointed too numerous times here and in ffmpeg circles. Seems to be ignored, or not easy to adapt to current ffmpeg code.
So is it that complicated to add MVC to FFMPEG?
Yes it is very complicated to add acceptable H.246 MVC code support to FFmpeg / Libav codec library.

The good knews is that Libav, a fork of FFmpeg, at least have a few developers that are interested in working on a major refactoring and cleanup of the H.264 code to accommodate MVC support, read:

Libav developer Luca Barbato have posted a nice little summary about this huge task on his blog
http://blogs.gentoo.org/lu_zero/2014/04/04/the-road-to-mvc/
https://wiki.libav.org/Blueprint/MVC

To summerize; due to the fact that the Libav (and FFmpeg) H.264 decoder code have been developed ad-hoc for around 10-years so its code is not clean or well structured, which is what makes adding MVC to in an acceptable clean way it practically impossible before the fundamental core the H.264 decoder code have first been refactored into using more clean and well structured code.

More discussion about that refactoring effort and work on MVC in their libav-devel mailing list
https://lists.libav.org/mailman/listinfo/libav-devel/

So there is a small hope, and there is at least a good chance that if and when Libav finish their refactoring and cleanup of the H.264 code that FFmpeg developers might perhaps back-port those changes to FFmpeg, which in turn opens up to adding MVC support.

It looks like there is hopeAngel

RE: Player Choices with Kodi + Full 3D + HD Audio - halfelite - 2015-10-30

(2015-10-30, 15:44)movie78 Wrote: It looks like there is hopeAngel

Did you notice that most of them blog posts and things are over a year old? I dont think anything has changed and with the fad of 3d going away doubt there is much interest in it.

I don't see it happening either. Love 3D and hanging on to it as long as I can, but it seems almost on life support these days. Got tickets to the new 'Star Wars' 3D IMAX for December, and 'Avatar' 3D sequels are coming up, but studios/manufacturers need to revive 3D for home, and 3D needs to be added to 4K standards to have a future.

RE: Player Choices with Kodi + Full 3D + HD Audio - movie78 - 2015-10-30

(2015-10-30, 19:30)hdmkv Wrote: I don't see it happening either. Love 3D and hanging on to it as long as I can, but it seems almost on life support these days. Got tickets to the new 'Star Wars' 3D IMAX for December, and 'Avatar' 3D sequels are coming up, but studios/manufacturers need to revive 3D for home, and 3D needs to be added to 4K standards to have a future.

I Hope we can keep this thread going so 3D support in Kodi won't fade out.Angel

RE: Player Choices with Kodi + Full 3D + HD Audio - nickr - 2015-10-30

(2015-10-30, 19:30)hdmkv Wrote: I don't see it happening either. Love 3D and hanging on to it as long as I can, but it seems almost on life support these days. Got tickets to the new 'Star Wars' 3D IMAX for December, and 'Avatar' 3D sequels are coming up, but studios/manufacturers need to revive 3D for home, and 3D needs to be added to 4K standards to have a future.
My family all preferred the 2d version so we'll see Star Wars that way, at least the first time.

Guys there is the rpi2, which is perfect for 3d and using kodi, not some bolt on code.

RE: Player Choices with Kodi + Full 3D + HD Audio - noggin - 2015-10-30

3D is dead in broadcast TV terms. It cost a lot more to produce than 2D HD (for multi camera productions you needed twice the number of cameras, plus stereographers, and routers and switchers twice to four times the size) It's only really there for movies - and without broadcast (and VoD) support it is unlikely that it will be a major concern for domestic TV manufacturers and Blu-ray standards bodies etc. moving forward.

4K TV production will be cheaper to implement in the long term - no additional staff, no increase in number of cameras, though currently you do need larger routers and switchers as 4K compatibility is done using 4 x 1080p processing (for most kit).

(2015-10-30, 20:30)nickr Wrote: Guys there is the rpi2, which is perfect for 3d and using kodi, not some bolt on code.

Yep, and if you don't mind a bolt-on, HiMedia Q5 is almost as good.

RE: Player Choices with Kodi + Full 3D + HD Audio - Cob2 - 2015-10-31

Has enyone try wetek core 4k with 3d iso? Work it well or not?

RE: Player Choices with Kodi + Full 3D + HD Audio - hausmanis - 2015-11-01

ok so i have gotten my Meegopad Cherry Trail Z8300 now and here comes a quick review, the software you get is cracked windows LOL
Anyhow the chippset is supposed to support DTS HD MA passthrough but it dosnt, kodi just crashes when you enable it
And if you let Kodi decode it with the latest Kodi Beta the video becomes very laggy.
It can play 3D Isos but not super smooth at all so i wouldnt recomend anyone buying this

I did order one of these https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX5EV1CKreo with 8gb of ram, will let you know as soon as i get it

RE: Player Choices with Kodi + Full 3D + HD Audio - Skank - 2015-11-01

On first post

About himedia m3
It gets A- and B
Delete it from gecko player cause its as good as himedia q5
Not as gecko...

RE: Player Choices with Kodi + Full 3D + HD Audio - hdmkv - 2015-11-02

I'll create a new column for HiMedia M3, and demote Gecko from featured players. Will reflect in next update of chart. Cloud Media needs to take control of their forum back from likes of Willem55. Talk about antagonistic behavior for a mod.

Couple of updates:
  • RPi2 can now do VC-1 perfectly. Terrific as only my Chromebox could play VC-1 29.970 well until now. May finally sell my Chromebox
  • RPi2's latest Kodi 16 builds play 3D ISO's well, and resuming in 3D is also working, but I'm still getting occasional stutters and green pixellation with some 3D BD rips. Same rips play fine on HiMedia Q5
  • Testing HiMedia Q5's latest private beta v3.0.2, video playback seems improved, even though changelog doesn't say anything about this. I'm not getting audio dropouts anymore. 3D ISO's are still playing at 24.000 instead of proper 23.976, but no stutters or green pixellation like with RPi2. But, as no true 23.976 for 3D ISO's, occasional microstutters are noticeable