Kodi Community Forum
First box: what to look for, what to avoid? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: First box: what to look for, what to avoid? (/showthread.php?tid=259194)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

First box: what to look for, what to avoid? - jttraverse - 2016-02-08

I'm still a bit new to KODI, though I have installed it on a PC and my Android phone, so now I'm looking into a dedicated KODI TV box. The goal for now is to eventually cut cable completely, so for starting out I'd rather stay in the $50-$100 range if possible. That said, I don't want to buy something that will be obsolete or frustrating within a few months, so I'm especially interested to know what things you KODI experts would recommend I look for, and what to avoid.
I won't need 4K or 3D or high-quality audio, though some of the newer units have that built-in, so that's fine if I can get it. Mainly I'll be streaming things and just basic TV-style viewing for now.

After reading, I have the impression that a Zidoo X5 might be a decent choice (maybe the Mini MX?), or an MXQ price isn't bad, or should I skip to the Zidoo X6 for more $$? Some posts swear by a Raspberry PI2 box. What about a MXQ Pro 4K Amlogic S905 at about $50?

Beyond just the hardware, how about upgrading one of these boxes--is upgrading the software more of a problem than making a bootable SD card? Whatever the case, I'd appreciate any thoughts from those of you with experience at this.

Thanks..

RE: First box: what to look for, what to avoid? - wrxtasy - 2016-02-08

You are making a basic Rookie mistake by looking at Tech Specs first and then looking at price as the second consideration.
This is the road to disaster for a near trouble free Android Box.

If you are going anywhere near Android devices, you need proper Firmware support. Doubly especially if you are a Newb.
And the Android Kodi developers that know what they are doing, providing proper Android Firmware for Kodi compatibility are working for MINIX, WeTek and also nVIDIA. Notice how these guys are Kodi forum Sponsors as well, they take an active interest in giving you a great Kodi device.

Do you need DRM for Full HD 1080p Netflix + other paid video streams, then you are limited to WeTek and nVIDIA only, the Google Nexus is also another consideration.

If you are a DIY guy, Sure you can buy a cheap AMLogic box from Asia. If stuff does not work (very common), do not expect Kodi devs to fix it. Even the sellers usually will not help after they have your money. You will then be left with a project and 3rd party Firmware support from users over on the Freaktab website.

If its just Kodi you need. Then buy a device to run OpenELEC OS / Kodi. It like a plug N Play Appliance then.

I would recommend a RPI2 in the past, but by the time you purchase all the bits n pieces you end up near the price of a Nicely integrated WeTek Core, which is quite a bit faster and includes a Wireless RF remote, plus a whole bunch of other great Features in Android Lollipop. Its dual boot and very flexible. Smile

Please read this thread first before asking any other questions:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916

RE: First box: what to look for, what to avoid? - Lunatixz - 2016-02-08

IMO the Nvidia Shield with hdhomerun is the best current future proof combination.

Not only is the shield a great 4k video powerhouse, it also supports a wide variety of HD audio format's. Works great with Kodi and doubles as a Android gaming rig.

Include a HDhomerun network tuner and this makes the ultimate HTPC.

Not sure I'd commit the same money to a Wetek.

RE: First box: what to look for, what to avoid? - speedwell68 - 2016-02-08

(2016-02-08, 10:06)wrxtasy Wrote: I would recommend a RPI2 in the past, but by the time you purchase all the bits n pieces you end up near the price of a Nicely integrated WeTek Core, which is quite a bit faster and includes a Wireless RF remote, plus a whole bunch of other great Features in Android Lollipop. Its dual boot and very flexible. Smile

I'm sorry but no. A Wetek Core is going to cost me £96 delivered an Openelec ready RPI 2 bundle is £55, if you sort all the extras yourself then they are even cheaper. Yes the Wetek is the better box, but that is because it is nearly twice the price.

RE: First box: what to look for, what to avoid? - jttraverse - 2016-02-09

These are all very helpful replies, and I have looked at the updated post "Pick the Right Kodi Box" and read it with more understanding after these replies. Being reminded that firmware support is rightly the top of the list of what's most important was spot on, so thanks Wrxtasy for that.

I'm going to say that the Nvidia Shield is priced out of the running for my current needs, though what I've read does make it look like a nice option down the road. The newer Wetek and Minix boxes put them in the $109-$150 range. That's higher than some other budget boxes, though not a deal breaker, but it does push my comfort zone for a first box since I'm basically just wanting to see how easy and usable this could be as a cable replacement. Whatever I buy might quickly be replaced with a better unit if I'm loving it.

For practical reasons, some of the RPI2 units, also in the $100+ range, come with a a remote and wireless keyboard. If I try one of those and a few months from now decide to up the unit to something better...then I have a wireless keyboard handy.. just a practical consideration.

To simplify, maybe I should ask about the best bang for the buck in the under ~$60 range, and then under ~120 range (still with the firmware support if possible)?

Fwiw, there are those "T95 Fully Loaded Amlogic S905 KODI 16.0 64-bit Bluetooth 2GB DDR3 8GB 4K TV Box" units on Amazon for under $70. I think that's a Transcode, which apparently isn't highly thought of by the KODI community, but as for usablity and bang for the buck, are they bad devices in general?

Thanks..
JT

RE: First box: what to look for, what to avoid? - Martijn - 2016-02-09

Yes they are horrible. You get what you pay for and that is horrible firmware and support.

RE: First box: what to look for, what to avoid? - katsup - 2016-02-09

For under $60, look at the Pi2 or Odroid C1+/C2. The later has better hardware, but older kernels and smaller user base.

A Pi2 by itself is $35, a 16GB micro SD card should run you around $10, then you just need a micro USB (2A recommended) and ethernet cable. If you want a case, add $2-3 from eBay (heatsink not needed unless you overclock a lot). You can use a smart phone or Tablet as a remote if your TV does not support CEC.

RE: First box: what to look for, what to avoid? - XperImenT - 2016-02-09

If you're not concerned about 3D and 4K then the Nexus Player is an amazing device for KODI. You can often get it on sale for $49 and now if you can find it and you're in US, Walmart has it on clearance for $25. It has official Marshmallow and a massive support from XDA developers and also a big support thread right on this forum.

As I've argued this before, I don't think WeTeK core is worth the price with it's hardware specifications, I don't care how much "support" it gets from the Chinese makers, that kind of hardware shouldn't have a price tag of $130.

RE: First box: what to look for, what to avoid? - clarkss12 - 2016-02-09

In the last three years, I have purchased about a dozen of these Chinese boxes. I have purchased Allwinner, Rockchip and Amlogic boxes, including the overly expensive Minix X8-H Plus. They are getting better and the support is getting better, but not yet where they should be.

Three or four months ago I purchased one of those micro Windows 10 computers and it blows all my other boxes out of the water. Just one to consider. Tronsmart Ara X5 Plus Windows 10 TV Box Cherry Trail Z8300 Quad Core.

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Tronsmart-Ara-X5-Windows-10-TV-Box-Cherry-Trail-Z8300-Quad-Core-1-8G-Gen-8-Graphics-2G-32G-2-4Ghz-5Ghz-351938.html

RE: First box: what to look for, what to avoid? - XperImenT - 2016-02-09

(2016-02-09, 02:18)clarkss12 Wrote: In the last three years, I have purchased about a dozen of these Chinese boxes. I have purchased Allwinner, Rockchip and Amlogic boxes, including the overly expensive Minix X8-H Plus. They are getting better and the support is getting better, but not yet where they should be.

Three or four months ago I purchased one of those micro Windows 10 computers and it blows all my other boxes out of the water. Just one to consider. Tronsmart Ara X5 Plus Windows 10 TV Box Cherry Trail Z8300 Quad Core.

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Tronsmart-Ara-X5-Windows-10-TV-Box-Cherry-Trail-Z8300-Quad-Core-1-8G-Gen-8-Graphics-2G-32G-2-4Ghz-5Ghz-351938.html

hmm if one wants to spend that much money, might as well get the NVIDIA Shield

RE: First box: what to look for, what to avoid? - clarkss12 - 2016-02-09

No Nvida Shield or Nexus Player for me.

RE: First box: what to look for, what to avoid? - noggin - 2016-02-09

(2016-02-09, 02:03)XperImenT Wrote: If you're not concerned about 3D and 4K then the Nexus Player is an amazing device for KODI. You can often get it on sale for $49 and now if you can find it and you're in US, Walmart has it on clearance for $25. It has official Marshmallow and a massive support from XDA developers and also a big support thread right on this forum.
How does the Nexus Player handle refresh rate switching (23.976 / 24.000 / 50 / 59.94 / 60.00) ? It may not be an issue for the US - but it is for many of us (particularly in Europe where we bounce between refresh rates a lot), as is HD Audio support (either multichannel PCM or bitstreamed)

RE: First box: what to look for, what to avoid? - jakejm79 - 2016-02-09

You wont get perfect 23.976 with the Nexus Player, you will get 24.000 with the skip/extra frame every 41 seconds or so, not really noticeable IMO. I don't have any 59.94 to check, but 50 and 60 switching is fine.
I played around a little with some of the HD audio support it wasn't perfect but it was workable, but I haven't tested recently and I don't have much of a selection of test material.

If OTA TV is part of your plan I would avoid look else where than the Nexus, the deinterlacing is mediocre and you need to manually select it on or off for whichever source requires it.

If you don't need netflix or other paid streaming sources but want OTA TV pick a RPi2, if you need streaming and not OTA TV then pick a Nexus Player. If you need both spend more than $50-60 and get the Wetek Core.

First box: what to look for, what to avoid? - jaspreet - 2016-02-09

Now I personally use Rpi2 and with a correct power supply ( hopefully the official one) it simply excels at what it does. It's one of the most optimised device to run Kodi/OE on and community is huge for it.
I stream and play a lot of content on it and it all just works But if you need VPN the process is a little complicated and limited atleast on Openelec for now.

A different SD card convert it into a fun retrogaming console again with a huge community backing is another Plus

RE: First box: what to look for, what to avoid? - wrxtasy - 2016-02-09

(2016-02-08, 16:14)speedwell68 Wrote:
(2016-02-08, 10:06)wrxtasy Wrote: I would recommend a RPI2 in the past, but by the time you purchase all the bits n pieces you end up near the price of a Nicely integrated WeTek Core, which is quite a bit faster and includes a Wireless RF remote, plus a whole bunch of other great Features in Android Lollipop. Its dual boot and very flexible. Smile
I'm sorry but no. A WeTek Core is going to cost me £96 delivered an Openelec ready RPI 2 bundle is £55, if you sort all the extras yourself then they are even cheaper. Yes the Wetek is the better box, but that is because it is nearly twice the price.
Considerations when purchasing any of these RPi2 bundles....

Where is the far superior RF Wireless remote control for £55, what about Bluetooth ?
These packs usually use cheap, rubbish 2.4Ghz WiFi usually as well.
Dual band 2.4/5Ghz should be the absolute minimum in 2016 if you need WiFi.

What about if I want 24p 4K and at least 1080p 8-bit HEVC decoding ?
What about HD Audio Passthrough, not just multichannel PCM ?
Can I flip over from OpenELEC to Android and watch Netflix and other DRM streams?

Look with any device, you get what you pay for. I could also say I'm not sure a nVIDIA Shield is not worth twice the price of a WeTek Core. But then it does add extra features and decodes a few more things if you actually need that, so again you get what you pay for.

To the OP, if you need support and are a Newb get one of the popular devices that have massive threads here on the Kodi forums.
The Tronsmart S95 runs an illegal version of XBMC from VidOn and you will get run out of town looking for support here on a Kodi forums for that device.
No support will be given to any cheap Android box from China as well that comes bundled with illegal / banned Kodi addons. That means most of them.

I will repeat again, its not just price and tech specs that are the primary consideration when purchasing a Kodi box.