Kodi Community Forum
Beta Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Game Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=291)
+---- Thread: Beta Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi (/showthread.php?tid=287826)

Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - eirrocmh - 2022-04-30

Could you add a "Recently Added" option to AEL? You have a Recently Played which is quite handy and i have that implimented to my home screen. But i get new games monthly and it would be awesome to have a recently added widget as well. Kodi already has that for movies so our games could benefit as well. Just a suggestion, thanks for your time! AEL is the best add on out there!

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - Smokeycoles - 2022-06-04

Hi

Can I have some advise please; I'm back on my ROM collection  Big Grin  
Where can  find posters, banners, fanart and clear art for the emulators. 
This is the emulators and not the roms (e.g. looking at screenscaper - I can't see media for posters).  I am currently using a default pack by Wintermute, not bad at all!  
But I think I have some missing, like RCA,Tiger Game.com,VTech CreatiVision etc

Are there any other gems online people can recommend?

I've also found some software called Skraper - its really good Smile 
Its not like flying as blind as a progress bar in Kodi.  Also you can select a Generic folder structure and match them to AEL, and copy it with relative ease.
I personally prefer this method when handling big libraries as it tells your the games scraper, the games not found and media found online.  I download to the trailers and manuals folders aswell.
I just wanted to share my positive experience with regard to this program, and mention it as an alternative to Kodi scraping.

Wintermute love the AEL addon.

I am about to download a full set of MAME 244 roms and chds (https://archive.org/details/mame-merged). 
I was planning on using AML, but I don't know whether to use AEL instead. 
I know AML shows all, but if its a full set - is there any more advantages to AML over AEL?

Cheers
Chris

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - Mysticalp - 2022-06-08

(2022-06-04, 14:05)Smokeycoles Wrote: Hi

This is the emulators and not the roms (e.g. looking at screenscaper - I can't see media for posters).  I am currently using a default pack by Wintermute, not bad at all!  

Its not like flying as blind as a progress bar in Kodi.  Also you can select a Generic folder structure and match them to AEL, and copy it with relative ease.
I personally prefer this method when handling big libraries as it tells your the games scraper, the games not found and media found online.  I download to the trailers and manuals folders aswell.
I just wanted to share my positive experience with regard to this program, and mention it as an alternative to Kodi scraping.

I am about to download a full set of MAME 244 roms and chds (https://archive.org/details/mame-merged). 
I know AML shows all, but if its a full set - is there any more advantages to AML over AEL?

Cheers
Chris
I never heard of Skraper but it looks great. I'm personally using LaunchBox instead. The free version is fully operative with the exception of Big Box (which I'm replacing with AEL that I like a lot more).
I created this tool https://github.com/jmriego/emulation that reads LaunchBox data and saves it to AEL. That way I can use LaunchBox scraper which I think it's the best I've seen so far

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - chrisism - 2022-06-09

(2022-06-08, 17:07)Mysticalp Wrote:
(2022-06-04, 14:05)Smokeycoles Wrote: Hi

Cheers
Chris
I never heard of Skraper but it looks great. I'm personally using LaunchBox instead. The free version is fully operative with the exception of Big Box (which I'm replacing with AEL that I like a lot more).
I created this tool https://github.com/jmriego/emulation that reads LaunchBox data and saves it to AEL. That way I can use LaunchBox scraper which I think it's the best I've seen so far
Just figured this out too, but it looks like that Skraper is a software version for the Screenscraper website.
So @Smokeycoles you can also just use AEL with the Screenscraper source as the scraper for your games. In that case you don't need a separate piece of software.

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - retroplayer - 2022-06-15

hello,

hast anyone running AEL on Shield with Kodi Matrix?

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - chrisism - 2022-06-16

(2022-06-15, 11:21)retroplayer Wrote: hello,

hast anyone running AEL on Shield with Kodi Matrix?
Yes, I have, and active develop on it.
But currently we are stuck with the latests Android update on the Shield which basically blocks launching external apps from within Kodi/addons. This is the same for AKL, IAGL and onwards. Rendering the whole idea of launching other apps useless. Using Retroplayer (built-in emulator in Kodi) does work however. So you can still use that as the launcher in either AEL or AKL.

I am hoping for a Kodi update that might help, or another update of Android. Even am considering to downgrade Android on the Shield, flashing it to an older version again to make this work.

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - Steel99 - 2022-08-15

Hi,

nice addon.

I have some feature requests/problems:
  1. I wanted to launch the Firefox browser on Windows 10, but it does not get focus. It flashes shortly and stays in the background. Using Alt-Tab works, but is not nice. There are also some PC games with the same behavior. Maybe you can add some (delayed?) window focus as an option?
  2. A Standalone version (like in Rom Collection Browser) would be great. Launch a Rom/App, close Kodi and after closing the Rom/App, Kodi launches again.
  3. An option for hiding the mouse cursor after launching an Rom/App would be really necessary. This happens for almost all PC Games.....i have to manually move the mouse cursor out of sight, although the game is playable with gamepad. Annoying...
I would appreciate, if you think about these suggestions.

Thank you!

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - Jacksaur - 2022-08-16

Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but a 154 page thread is difficult to navigate: The Lnk launcher doesn't seem to be working for me with Steam games.

I used Steam's "Create desktop shortcut" feature to generate shortcuts for my games, placed them all in a folder, and set up AEL to open them with the Windows LNK Launcher.
While the shortcuts themselves work perfectly fine if I run them myself, AEL fails every time. In the logs it mentions "OSError: [WinError 123] The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect". Yet if I copy and paste the exact path the log file says it's using into a command prompt, it still works without any problems.

Anything I've done wrong with the launcher? Or any alternative I could try?

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - Hael - 2022-09-21

Hey, I'm on Fedora running this.

I can't run any rom through launchers, message:

"/home/hael/Tools/retroarch/retroarch: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

Sanity check on this? I've some some Googlefu but I'd rather not play around with my OpenSSL install without having an idea what I'm doing. lol

Thanks if anyone has an idea, AEL seems like a perfect solution for what I've been searching for in a frontend.

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - Hael - 2022-09-22

(2022-09-21, 03:37)Hael Wrote: Hey, I'm on Fedora running this.

Not sure how to edit on here but, solved it. It was the Flatpak. Even with Flatseal and opening it up/swapping to beta and nightly builds it did the same thing. Actually installed my distro's Kodi and it works like a dream. Who'd thunk it. lol

Thanks again, have gone through about 18 frontends on Linux and never considered Kodi until now, AEL is fantastic.

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - mcarni - 2023-01-02

Hi All and Happy New Year,

I am running kodi 19.4 on a raspberry pi 4 (OS is raspberry pi OS 64 bit, kodi has been installed from apt)

my plan is to use AEL (or AKL) to launch Steamlink from Kodi and make it so that it will return to Kodi once done with Steamlink
before going for the launcher i thought it would have been safer to try launching Steamlink through a customised remote.xml (action triggered when green button is pressed), just to see if everything works:
xml:
<green>System.Exec("/home/pi/downloads/.launchers/test.sh")</green>

the test.sh wrapper script is extremely basic and "heavily inspired" ;-) by this one : post 1090

I succeed in stopping kodi but unfortunately when i try to launch Steamlink nothing really happens (kodi freezes, i can ssh into the machine but not much more)

the test.sh:
bash:
#!/bin/bash

# --- Stop KODI ---
#echo "Stopping Kodi service ..."
#systemctl stop kodi
killall kodi
echo "Message" >/dev/tty1 2>&1

# --- Run retroarch ---
#echo "Sleeping 1 minute ..."
#sleep  1m
##$RETROARCH_EXECUTABLE -L $LIBRETRO_CORES_DIR/$1_libretro.so -f -v "$2"

# -- Run steamlink
steamlink >/dev/tty1

Note. I tried also System.ExecWait to launch the script but didn't change the result

The "echo "Message" >/dev/tty1 2>&1" is a test to see if I could get something to show up on the tty..

PS. I setup the raspberry to boot and autologin to tty (through raspi-config, which if i understand right is using an agetty service to achieve this)
I launch Kodi or Steamlink with cron
crontab -e :
bash:
# m h  dom mon dow   command
@reboot kodi --standalone
#@reboot steamlink
I can experiment with a systemd timer if you think this might help...
I don't think I am too far, but I am not sure I can get my head around this without your help in pointing me in the right direction
If you have any suggestion or recommendation please let me know, much much appreciated

thanks a lot

M

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - mcarni - 2023-01-07

just to say that i solved my issue

I am not sure it was the cleanest way, but basically i removed the crontab entry and created 2 --user systemd units, one for kodi and one for steamlink.
each entry has a ExecStopPost to launch the other application, so basically if i exit from kodi steamlink starts and vice versa.
the only difference is that kodi has also an WantedBy=multi-user.target so that it gets started on login (done automatically)

i leave the two systemd units here in case this can be of any help

M

kodi.service:
systemd:
[Unit]
Description=Kodi

[Service]
ExecStart=/usr/bin/kodi
ExecStopPost=/usr/bin/systemctl --user start steamlink.service

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

steamlink.service:
systemd:
[Unit]
Description=Steamlink

[Service]
ExecStart=/usr/bin/steamlink
ExecStopPost=/usr/bin/systemctl --user start kodi.service

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - Impulsor - 2023-01-08

Hello.
I use AEL with matrix 19 + estuary ael and the Rom Shots view. The computer is an old mini PC that can handle retroarch, but for some reason the text scroll of a title (with a size that exceeds the space) makes it consume a lot of CPU and damages its performance.

Is it possible, either with code or with configuration, to disable that scroll?
I have tried to edit the main.py file and force a xbmc.executebuiltin('ActivateScreensaver') before launching the emulator to turn the screen black, but it is not enough. The scroll must be stopped.

Any idea how to achieve this?

Thanks.

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - Tvshusha - 2023-01-26

How must be configured mobigames scraper? Api key correct, but each time got error 401. You must have an api key to use this resource.

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - Tvshusha - 2023-02-01

Seems apikey send without urlencoding. putting urlencoded key in settings.xml fixes error