Kodi Community Forum
Android nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 2018 - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Android nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 2018 (/showthread.php?tid=304226)

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jan 26 2017 - Powerhouse - 2017-03-21

Also @DXer, the copying of files in Android is a little different then under Windows. First, you need a program from the Play store (as posted by Tinwarble DO NOT USE ES FILE EXPLORER). I use X-Plore, and while a little weird to use at first, isn't that bad once you get the hang of it.

Basically, in X-Plore, you will find the folder you want to copy (on the left), and then in the middle screen menu, there is a button to "Checkmark" the files. Then on the right screen, drill down to the folder you want to copy the files to. Then using the middle screen menu again, click the copy button. If you have a full setup like mine (Aeon MQ7 Skin, with all the add-on's for that skin installed, and all the custom changes to the Skin that I like, plus adding my large library (3200+ Movies, 720+ TV Series, 4000+ Music Videos, and tons of Music), expect this to take several hours to copy (at least 3 hours in my case).

Now, consider that just adding my TV Series to a blank Kodi install would normally take 4+ hours, you can see the time saving for me by copying just the .kodi folder to fresh Kodi installs on new devices.

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jan 26 2017 - Powerhouse - 2017-03-21

Even more for @DXer, if Kodi Krypton 17.1 is messed up, simply uninstall it from Android (you did install it from the Play store didn't you?). On the Shield TV, go down to Settings, then Choose Apps, find your Kodi app, and select Uninstall.

Then just go back to the Play store, and install Kodi again. make sure it opens and run correctly the first time.

If it doesn't work, then you might have to Uninstall it again. Then use the X-Plore app to delete the Kodi install from your system. Remember the location of Kodi on Android is...

/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi

So just delete the folder org.xbmc.kodi.

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jan 26 2017 - DXer - 2017-03-21

My external drive is a brand-new Passport USB-3 drive (4TB), connected to the Shield with the 2 or 3-foot long USB 3 cable that came with the drive. I'm copying approximately 1.8TB from one source (the Windows 7 HTPC) and another TB from a NAS.

Before I go much further, I want to ask a question that Tinwarble addressed earlier: sending files to the Shield from the Windows 7 PC. For the sake of keeping everything streaming as fast as possible, wouldn't it make more sense to have the source directly connected to the playback device via a USB-3 cable at 5Gbps than over a LAN with two gig-E switches at 28 MB/s?

You are talking theoretical limits of speed (USB-3 5Gbps), versus actually speed (which is based off the hard drive speed - 5400RPM, or 7200RPM, file overhead - one big file or 20,000 little files, etc). Typically, copying files from my Windows 10 SSD to a Raid Array of 7200rpm drives, I see a speed of around 100MB/s. This varies depending upon if the Raid Array is doing other things, and I have seen it dip down to 40-50MB/s.

If possible, it is always better to stream from a dedicated box (Synology, Qnap, FreeNAS, etc). As that is what those boxes are designed to do. Sure you can share drives from Windows or MAC, but there are problems associated with doing it that way as well (patches causing the system to reboot or not work correctly until a reboot, System going to sleep causing the shared drives to stop responding, etc).

I myself moved my Sharing environment from a Windows 7 PC (that I used 10 HDD's attached internally via Sata cables), to a FreeNAS server, and would never go back. I have read many people try to connect USB drives to a Windows 7 or 10 PC and try to share those drives, and have numerous problems doing it that way (something about Windows and USB drives, where patches, or rebooting will mix up the drive letters of your shares causing Kodi to crap out when trying to play media, which it no longer knows where it's located).

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jan 26 2017 - DXer - 2017-03-21

My NAS is a 4TB RAID array that's 85% full, and my Windows 7 box has a single 4TB drive that's about 1/2 full. I don't think the ReadyNAS can handle drives over 4TB, but even if it can, that's starting to get pretty expensive. Is there any particular DISadvantage of storing media on the Shield, rather than a NAS solution?

(2017-03-21, 18:36)Powerhouse Wrote: Even more for @DXer, if Kodi Krypton 17.1 is messed up, simply uninstall it from Android (you did install it from the Play store didn't you?). On the Shield TV, go down to Settings, then Choose Apps, find your Kodi app, and select Uninstall.

Then just go back to the Play store, and install Kodi again. make sure it opens and run correctly the first time.

If it doesn't work, then you might have to Uninstall it again. Then use the X-Plore app to delete the Kodi install from your system. Remember the location of Kodi on Android is...

I've had to do this procedure a few times already when it hard-crashed on the Shield. And it means a full 8 or 9 hours to get everything back....only to see it all evaporate when I change one thing here or there. I can't pin down what I'm doing that's causing the hard crashes, which is part of the frustration here.

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jan 26 2017 - txemix - 2017-03-21

(2017-02-05, 01:20)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2017-02-05, 00:26)markus7 Wrote:
(2017-01-20, 20:54)wesk05 Wrote: if you have the Shield connected to a newer AVR with HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 port and then have the AVR connected to a HDMI/HDCP 1.4 display, Kodi/SPCM/Plex/Archos Video/ViMu Media Player or any other app that supports refresh rate switching will not be able to switch the refresh rate. The refresh rate will remain on whatever you have set in "Display & Sound". With update 5.0 there is an additional bug: you can't even change the refresh rate or color space manually.

I'm seeing the exact same symptoms with a Denon AVR-X4200W (HDMI 2.0) and LG PF1000U (HDMI 1.4). When connecting the Shield 2 directly to the projector refresh rate and color space switching works just fine.

Does anybody know what is causing this? Is it the Shield or the AVR? I'm currently talking to Nvidia support which asks me to get in contact with Denon support...

It's on Nvidias side, nothing to do with any specific AVR. The issue has been pushed up to Nvidia, as well as several other issues, and I'll post what they have to say as soon as I get a response.
Just to note that someone has compiled a simple modification of kernel code to force HDCP 1.4 that solves the problem. A simple option such as "Force HDCP 1.4" would be a solution for many of us (assuming 4K wouldn't work, but HDCP 1.4 displays aren't 4K either).

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/901911/shield-tv/auto-refresh-rate-switching-not-working/post/5110689/#5110689

(2017-03-21, 19:34)DXer Wrote:
(2017-03-21, 18:36)Powerhouse Wrote: Even more for @DXer, if Kodi Krypton 17.1 is messed up, simply uninstall it from Android (you did install it from the Play store didn't you?). On the Shield TV, go down to Settings, then Choose Apps, find your Kodi app, and select Uninstall.

I've had to do this procedure a few times already when it hard-crashed on the Shield. And it means a full 8 or 9 hours to get everything back....only to see it all evaporate when I change one thing here or there. I can't pin down what I'm doing that's causing the hard crashes, which is part of the frustration here.

8 or 9 hoursHuh Does this include adding your Media Sources to Kodi as well?

I would imagine the issue you are having has to do with the skin you are using (or perhaps an add-on associated with that skin), and the fact that Kodi 17.1 is out now. Probably a conflict somewhere. Make sure all the Skin and Add-on's you are installing are compatible with Kodi 17.1 (or better yet, set everything up using the default skin in Kodi 17.1). Save the .kodi folder, then mess with installing your chosen Skin, and it's add-on's and see when it breaks.

nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jan 26 2017 - tredman - 2017-03-21

Someone over on GeForce forums has compiled tvheadend to run on the shield without root:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1000226/shield-tv/tvheadend-apk-the-easy-way-to-run-tvheadend-on-the-shield-/

(2017-03-21, 20:38)Powerhouse Wrote:
(2017-03-21, 19:34)DXer Wrote:

I use Amber, but I do most of the setup in Estuary first, including media sources. I'm not all that comfortable with Estuary (or Confluence before that), but I can navigate Amber with half my brain tied behind my back. It's all the finicky things, too, like adding Trakt and re-synchronizing all my media (it rarely takes--series I've marked as watched invariably show up as unwatched when I reload), configuring my other add-ons, setting subtitles, audio passthrough, yaddayadda. Plex just seems to work every time (the server in use is on my NAS), but I just don't like the interface.

8 or 9 hoursHuh Does this include adding your Media Sources to Kodi as well?

I would imagine the issue you are having has to do with the skin you are using (or perhaps an add-on associated with that skin), and the fact that Kodi 17.1 is out now. Probably a conflict somewhere. Make sure all the Skin and Add-on's you are installing are compatible with Kodi 17.1 (or better yet, set everything up using the default skin in Kodi 17.1). Save the .kodi folder, then mess with installing your chosen Skin, and it's add-on's and see when it breaks.

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jan 26 2017 - Tinwarble - 2017-03-21

(2017-03-21, 18:42)DXer Wrote: My external drive is a brand-new Passport USB-3 drive (4TB), connected to the Shield with the 2 or 3-foot long USB 3 cable that came with the drive. I'm copying approximately 1.8TB from one source (the Windows 7 HTPC) and another TB from a NAS.

Before I go much further, I want to ask a question that Tinwarble addressed earlier: sending files to the Shield from the Windows 7 PC. For the sake of keeping everything streaming as fast as possible, wouldn't it make more sense to have the source directly connected to the playback device via a USB-3 cable at 5Gbps than over a LAN with two gig-E switches at 28 MB/s?

I'm assuming that you are getting the 28MB/s from copying files to the Shield, that is the write speed which is always going to be slower than the read speed. The Shield will be able to read the streamed files much faster (usually double or more), depending on your source. So don't use your write speed to determine what you will be able to stream.

And consider this, the majority of people use a NAS, whether it be a true NAS or just something they use as network storage, to stream files to their Kodi devices. I personally, at any one time, stream multiple videos from a single NAS to multiple Shields.

So no, you are not going see much difference streaming over your network vs playing files from an attached drive. As I said, the max bitrate for a blu-ray is 48Mb/s, that's 6MB/s, and even if you take your 28MB/s that is still more than enough bandwidth to stream without issues (as long as you don't have some issue with your network).

Hmm. In that case I'll just stick with the NAS. To me it made sense to store everything locally for faster reads. I have 7TB of media but only a 4TB NAS, with the rest scattered across a few disks on the Windows 7 machine. I don't think my NAS can use drives larger than 4TB (a pair of them in mirror config). Plus all my music and pictures are stored on the NAS as well as movies and TV. A new NAS is not in the cards financially.

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jan 26 2017 - DYKWIA - 2017-03-22

Anyone else having issues with Kodi 17.1 when using a Harmony Hub setup? It worked fine until today (when the 17,1 update occurred),

Now, the remote works fine generally on The Shield. However, once I start kodi, it misses key presses, and then goes wild - as if I'm holding a key down.

I'll try again tomorrow, and reinstall if necessary.

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jan 26 2017 - DXer - 2017-03-22

(2017-03-21, 04:09)Powerhouse Wrote: The .kodi folder is everything you have changed and add-ons you put into Kodi. Just copy that folder and save it some where safe.

On Android you can find it under /Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi

If you are installing Kodi fresh, run it once, then exit out. Then copy the .kodi folder that you save to the new one Kodi made under the directory above.

Instant Kodi, with all the changes you've made.

So I've spent the last two hours trying to figure out how to do this and I'm getting nowhere. The box isn't rooted, nor will I allow it to be, but every file manager I've tried in the Play store only refers to attached storage or LAN connections. There's no way to access the /Android hierarchy that I can find. I have a stable load of Kodi at the moment and I'm deathly afraid it's going to vanish again in a heartbeat if I look at it funny. This happened 3 times this evening until I got it somewhat stable. I still don't have all my media loaded yet nor backgrounds set up as I would prefer but it's stable and running, at least. Now I need to back this up ASAP.

Also, as I've asked many times before, what can I use to remotely administer the Shield? It's in a completely separate part of the house than my computers. I don't own a laptop or other portable PC and running back and forth constantly is getting to be a PITA. Team Viewer is view-only (no controlling remotely), and so far nothing works with TightVNC, which I use for every other box on the LAN.

Is there any way to achieve full remoting of this box, maybe by side-loading an app or something?

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jan 26 2017 - cscoppa - 2017-03-22

(2017-03-22, 04:22)DXer Wrote:
(2017-03-21, 04:09)Powerhouse Wrote: The .kodi folder is everything you have changed and add-ons you put into Kodi. Just copy that folder and save it some where safe.

On Android you can find it under /Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi

If you are installing Kodi fresh, run it once, then exit out. Then copy the .kodi folder that you save to the new one Kodi made under the directory above.

Instant Kodi, with all the changes you've made.

So I've spent the last two hours trying to figure out how to do this and I'm getting nowhere. The box isn't rooted, nor will I allow it to be, but every file manager I've tried in the Play store only refers to attached storage or LAN connections. There's no way to access the /Android hierarchy that I can find. I have a stable load of Kodi at the moment and I'm deathly afraid it's going to vanish again in a heartbeat if I look at it funny. This happened 3 times this evening until I got it somewhat stable. I still don't have all my media loaded yet nor backgrounds set up as I would prefer but it's stable and running, at least. Now I need to back this up ASAP.

Also, as I've asked many times before, what can I use to remotely administer the Shield? It's in a completely separate part of the house than my computers. I don't own a laptop or other portable PC and running back and forth constantly is getting to be a PITA. Team Viewer is view-only (no controlling remotely), and so far nothing works with TightVNC, which I use for every other box on the LAN.

Is there any way to achieve full remoting of this box, maybe by side-loading an app or something?

Use this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lonelycatgames.Xplore