Kodi Community Forum
v17 Problem with video after Windows 10 Fall Creators 2017 Update - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: v17 Problem with video after Windows 10 Fall Creators 2017 Update (/showthread.php?tid=322761)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: Problem with video after Windows 10 Fall Creators 2017 Update - sand_man - 2018-05-01

(2018-05-01, 00:28)the_scotsman Wrote: Since adding the delay after the refresh rate change, I haven't had it happen again at all. 

I even dropped the delay down to a couple of tenths of a second, so that it's barely noticeable, and this also keeps the fix in place. Still no more issues.

So this is worth trying if you're still having the issue. The small delay isn't noticeable. This was an instant fix for me.
 That sounds very promising. Think I'm going to hold out a little longer till a few more users can confirm that 1803 fixes the bug. I've only just managed to maintain 1703 without Windows imposing it's frigging update!

RE: Problem with video after Windows 10 Fall Creators 2017 Update - lightstorm22 - 2018-05-03

(2018-05-01, 15:00)sand_man Wrote:
(2018-05-01, 00:28)the_scotsman Wrote: Since adding the delay after the refresh rate change, I haven't had it happen again at all. 

I even dropped the delay down to a couple of tenths of a second, so that it's barely noticeable, and this also keeps the fix in place. Still no more issues.

So this is worth trying if you're still having the issue. The small delay isn't noticeable. This was an instant fix for me.
 That sounds very promising. Think I'm going to hold out a little longer till a few more users can confirm that 1803 fixes the bug. I've only just managed to maintain 1703 without Windows imposing it's frigging update!  
I held out on 1703 as long as I could, but 1709 finally caught me with my pants down tonight. I set the delay after refresh rate change to 1 second and I don't have a black screen, so that's super exciting. Thanks for the tip.

Edit: Didn't realize 1803 started downloading as soon as 1709 was done. Still ok there, but I left the 1 second delay just because if it ain't broke...

RE: Problem with video after Windows 10 Fall Creators 2017 Update - Helioy - 2018-05-03

I don't have a problem with adjusting the framerate with fullscreen + delay in 1803... But every time I turn off my tv and on again, the signal is lost to kodi (black screen). I need to log in via teamviewer and the it's restored. Any suggestions?

RE: Problem with video after Windows 10 Fall Creators 2017 Update - UnknownShadow - 2018-05-09

I've read this entire thread hoping to figure out why the 1709 update has been causing my HTPC to freeze/stutter/pause every few minutes when I try to play any MKV file from my Windows10 server. Both my HTPC and Server were updated to Windows 10 1709 and I've been having this problem ever since. 

Now for the weird part... I have a variety of cheap android boxes that still stream from my server just fine.
Now for the weirder part... if I copy a few of the MKV files onto a thumb drive they play just fine on my HTPC! (Can someone else try this? As weird as it sounds!)

That seems to indicate it's not settings in Kodi and it's not driver related. Hell it's not even Kodi related because I get the same results with VLC. I only experience the freeze/stutter/pause when streaming from one 1709 PC to another 1709 PC. I'm almost convinced that it's something to do with the changes in SMB but at this point I don't have enough brain cells left to keep troubleshooting. I'm ready to just go back to 1703 vanilla and block the HTPC from internet access.

I have even tried using two completely different machines as the HTPC and Server and get the same results. All machines I have are on 1709 and no combination of them lets me stream MKV over my network. Everything was fine before they all updated to 1709. I have tried different switches, network cables, WiFi... every combination I can think of. I simply cannot get 1709 to stream to 1709!!!! Somebody shoot me! Please Sad

RE: Problem with video after Windows 10 Fall Creators 2017 Update - justin007 - 2018-05-09

yes having same problem and kodi closes down completely pls help

RE: Problem with video after Windows 10 Fall Creators 2017 Update - sand_man - 2018-05-11

(2018-05-09, 19:23)UnknownShadow Wrote: I've read this entire thread hoping to figure out why the 1709 update has been causing my HTPC to freeze/stutter/pause every few minutes when I try to play any MKV file from my Windows10 server. Both my HTPC and Server were updated to Windows 10 1709 and I've been having this problem ever since. 

Now for the weird part... I have a variety of cheap android boxes that still stream from my server just fine.
Now for the weirder part... if I copy a few of the MKV files onto a thumb drive they play just fine on my HTPC! (Can someone else try this? As weird as it sounds!)

That seems to indicate it's not settings in Kodi and it's not driver related. Hell it's not even Kodi related because I get the same results with VLC. I only experience the freeze/stutter/pause when streaming from one 1709 PC to another 1709 PC. I'm almost convinced that it's something to do with the changes in SMB but at this point I don't have enough brain cells left to keep troubleshooting. I'm ready to just go back to 1703 vanilla and block the HTPC from internet access.

I have even tried using two completely different machines as the HTPC and Server and get the same results. All machines I have are on 1709 and no combination of them lets me stream MKV over my network. Everything was fine before they all updated to 1709. I have tried different switches, network cables, WiFi... every combination I can think of. I simply cannot get 1709 to stream to 1709!!!! Somebody shoot me! Please Sad
 The solution is dead simple, update both your machines to 1803! There most definitely issues with 1709 and refresh rates and 1709 and SMB. There's a possibility that these issues have been resolved on 1803. Seeing as you already on 1709, why not run the update?

I have 2 HTPC's currently running 1703 without any issues. My desktop pc, which serves as my home server too, is running on 1803. 0 issues. When the HTPC's were running 1709 endless issues with Kodi, mostly pertaining to the refresh rate glitch outlined in this thread. 

Personally, I'm avoiding updating the HTPC's to 1803 until there's enough evidence that they play nicely with Kodi. Downgrading and then blocking/avoiding Microsoft's Windows updates, is a lot easier said then done.

RE: Problem with video after Windows 10 Fall Creators 2017 Update - UnknownShadow - 2018-05-11

(2018-05-11, 08:13)sand_man Wrote:
(2018-05-09, 19:23)UnknownShadow Wrote: I've read this entire thread hoping to figure out why the 1709 update has been causing my HTPC to freeze/stutter/pause every few minutes when I try to play any MKV file from my Windows10 server. Both my HTPC and Server were updated to Windows 10 1709 and I've been having this problem ever since. 

The solution is dead simple, update both your machines to 1803! There most definitely issues with 1709 and refresh rates and 1709 and SMB. There's a possibility that these issues have been resolved on 1803. Seeing as you already on 1709, why not run the update?

I have 2 HTPC's currently running 1703 without any issues. My desktop pc, which serves as my home server too, is running on 1803. 0 issues. When the HTPC's were running 1709 endless issues with Kodi, mostly pertaining to the refresh rate glitch outlined in this thread. 

Personally, I'm avoiding updating the HTPC's to 1803 until there's enough evidence that they play nicely with Kodi. Downgrading and then blocking/avoiding Microsoft's Windows updates, is a lot easier said then done. 
 Unfortunately I tried that last night but it didn't solve anything... then I read on another forum about problems with Virus Scanners and it hit me... even though I can play the files locally just fine, I wonder if my virus scanner is causing problems for the network stream? So I temporarily unloaded my virus scanner on BOTH the client and server and OMG IT WORKED! I could stream every single file again with zero problems!!!! In my case I was using Trend Micro but the other forum was discussing BitDefender. Either way, it seems like virus scanners can cause issues with network streams so anyone with stuttering issues should definitely try this and see if that's their problem. Strange that it worked before the 1709/1803 updates but obviously the combination of 1709 (or 1803) and the Trend Micro scanner causes issues with network streaming.

Now the question is, which virus scanner to use that doesn't interfere with streaming. I briefly tried Avast last night and it seemed to work fine but I only played a video for 10 minutes. Granted, that's longer than I ever got a video to play with Trend Micro and 1709/1803. More testing to come but hopefully this will help someone else.

RE: Problem with video after Windows 10 Fall Creators 2017 Update - whysoserious - 2018-05-11

"Now the question is, which virus scanner to use that doesn't interfere with streaming."

I've stuck with Windows Defender on my Windows Kodi machine (it's only used for Kodi) and haven't had any problems with file streaming from my NAS. I used NOD32 before that and it worked fine as well.

RE: Problem with video after Windows 10 Fall Creators 2017 Update - IIIdefconIII - 2018-06-20

Has anyone found a working fix without the need to disable the refresh rate, windowed fullscreen doesnt work for me, i then get a blank window of kodi. With nvidia card i dont have this problem

RE: Problem with video after Windows 10 Fall Creators 2017 Update - IIIdefconIII - 2018-06-22

14 pages, not a single reaction, people come, people go

Problem with video after Windows 10 Fall Creators 2017 Update - sand_man - 2018-06-22

Frustrating issue. Only solution is to stay on 1703.

RE: Problem with video after Windows 10 Fall Creators 2017 Update - IIIdefconIII - 2018-07-18

AMD does have a new driver ​7/12/2018 V18.7.1
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-18-7-1

I hope this will fix it.

Release note:
Display modes may sometimes appear as not available when setting resolution or refresh rates of a display.
and
Memory clocks may remain at higher than expected values on some displays after changing resolution or refresh rates.

RE: Problem with video after Windows 10 Fall Creators 2017 Update - sand_man - 2018-10-03

Well, Windows 10 1809 has just dropped. Will be interesting to see what impact this has on Kodi and refresh rates...

RE: Problem with video after Windows 10 Fall Creators 2017 Update - boboiusa - 2018-11-27

Has anyone tried 1809 in regards to the refresh rate problem?

RE: Problem with video after Windows 10 Fall Creators 2017 Update - upD8R - 2018-11-27

No. And my response is probably not helpful: I was sick of all the Windows related issues I experienced in the past. Changed to a Nvidia Shield and I'm happy now.