Kodi Community Forum
Release plugin.video.themoviedb.helper - Access to TheMovieDb API for Skinners - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Skinning (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+---- Forum: Skin helper addons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=300)
+---- Thread: Release plugin.video.themoviedb.helper - Access to TheMovieDb API for Skinners (/showthread.php?tid=345847)

RE: plugin.video.themoviedb.helper - Access to TheMovieDb API for Skinners - jurialmunkey - 2020-10-18

(2020-10-17, 23:33)pkscout Wrote:
(2020-10-17, 10:27)jurialmunkey Wrote: Upcoming v4.0.0 - Code Refactor
Refactor is available from the "refactor" branch on github: https://github.com/jurialmunkey/plugin.video.themoviedb.helper/tree/refactor
There's also a matrix branch which I haven't personally tested but hopefully should work as I've been careful to keep code Python 2/3 compatible.
The Matrix version crashes on launch because of a change in logging levels for Matrix. LOGNOTICE is no longer available in Matrix, so you need to change it to LOGINFO. The only caveat there is that if you use LOGINFO in Leia it doesn't get logged unless debug logging is on. So you either have to have different log levels depending on the Kodi version or move everything to LOGWARNING (which might give the wrong impression as to the nature of the log message).

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=353818

I have another issue that might just be my dev machine (on OSX) has been rode hard and put away wet, but with the TMDb helper installed on Matrix Alpha2, Kodi hangs whenever it quits. This has been true for awhile, but I didn't bother saying anything because it was early in the Matrix Alpha cycle. If I disable the TMDb helper, then Kodi quits fine (even if I use Arctic Horizon as my skin - which requires that I remove the dependency on the TMDb helper).  Here's a debug log of the hang on quit if that helps:

https://paste.kodi.tv/uwulozeluv.kodi

Ah, I knew there was some other breaking change that needed to be done for Matrix. Updated the matrix branch to now use LOGINFO instead.

I wonder if the hang on quit will happen with the refactored version. I had this issue previously on occasion using even Leia but I haven't had it since the refactor (but also I haven't tested the new version on Matrix obviously...).

I really need to get my portable Matrix install updated so that I can run through some testing.

RE: plugin.video.themoviedb.helper - Access to TheMovieDb API for Skinners - drinfernoo - 2020-10-19

(2020-10-18, 06:05)jurialmunkey Wrote:
(2020-10-17, 23:33)pkscout Wrote:
(2020-10-17, 10:27)jurialmunkey Wrote: Upcoming v4.0.0 - Code Refactor
Refactor is available from the "refactor" branch on github: https://github.com/jurialmunkey/plugin.video.themoviedb.helper/tree/refactor
There's also a matrix branch which I haven't personally tested but hopefully should work as I've been careful to keep code Python 2/3 compatible.
The Matrix version crashes on launch because of a change in logging levels for Matrix. LOGNOTICE is no longer available in Matrix, so you need to change it to LOGINFO. The only caveat there is that if you use LOGINFO in Leia it doesn't get logged unless debug logging is on. So you either have to have different log levels depending on the Kodi version or move everything to LOGWARNING (which might give the wrong impression as to the nature of the log message).

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=353818

I have another issue that might just be my dev machine (on OSX) has been rode hard and put away wet, but with the TMDb helper installed on Matrix Alpha2, Kodi hangs whenever it quits. This has been true for awhile, but I didn't bother saying anything because it was early in the Matrix Alpha cycle. If I disable the TMDb helper, then Kodi quits fine (even if I use Arctic Horizon as my skin - which requires that I remove the dependency on the TMDb helper).  Here's a debug log of the hang on quit if that helps:

https://paste.kodi.tv/uwulozeluv.kodi

Ah, I knew there was some other breaking change that needed to be done for Matrix. Updated the matrix branch to now use LOGINFO instead.

I wonder if the hang on quit will happen with the refactored version. I had this issue previously on occasion using even Leia but I haven't had it since the refactor (but also I haven't tested the new version on Matrix obviously...).

I really need to get my portable Matrix install updated so that I can run through some testing.

I just did this, to cover all my bases Big Grin

RE: plugin.video.themoviedb.helper - Access to TheMovieDb API for Skinners - pkscout - 2020-10-19

(2020-10-18, 06:05)jurialmunkey Wrote: Ah, I knew there was some other breaking change that needed to be done for Matrix. Updated the matrix branch to now use LOGINFO instead.

I checked with the updated Matrix refactor code, and it still hangs my setup at quit. Again, that could be my setup, but for completeness, here's a log. I made sure to enable debug logging both in Kodi and the helper addon too.

https://paste.kodi.tv/ucepulunil.kodi

RE: plugin.video.themoviedb.helper - Access to TheMovieDb API for Skinners - jurialmunkey - 2020-10-20

(2020-10-19, 20:14)pkscout Wrote:
(2020-10-18, 06:05)jurialmunkey Wrote: Ah, I knew there was some other breaking change that needed to be done for Matrix. Updated the matrix branch to now use LOGINFO instead.

I checked with the updated Matrix refactor code, and it still hangs my setup at quit. Again, that could be my setup, but for completeness, here's a log. I made sure to enable debug logging both in Kodi and the helper addon too.

https://paste.kodi.tv/ucepulunil.kodi

Usually debug log isn't that helpful for hangs/crashes but this part is a bit weird:
Code:
Infobool '!string.isempty(listitem.property(tmdbhelper.context.artwork))' still used by 3 instances

That's the condition for the context menu. Probably is nothing but can you try disabling the context menu in the addon.xml, restart Kodi and see if that helps?
Just delete out this part:
https://github.com/jurialmunkey/plugin.video.themoviedb.helper/blob/refactor/addon.xml#L17-L40

If that's not the culprit, I'd be interested to know if it's the service monitor which can be completely disabled by taking this line out of addon.xml and restarting Kodi
Code:
<extension point="xbmc.service" library="service.py" />

If we can narrow down what part is causing the hang that will help a lot.

RE: plugin.video.themoviedb.helper - Access to TheMovieDb API for Skinners - pkscout - 2020-10-21

(2020-10-20, 23:13)jurialmunkey Wrote: Usually debug log isn't that helpful for hangs/crashes but this part is a bit weird:
Code:
Infobool '!string.isempty(listitem.property(tmdbhelper.context.artwork))' still used by 3 instances

That's the condition for the context menu. Probably is nothing but can you try disabling the context menu in the addon.xml, restart Kodi and see if that helps?
https://github.com/jurialmunkey/plugin.video.themoviedb.helper/blob/refactor/addon.xml#L17-L40

If that's not the culprit, I'd be interested to know if it's the service monitor which can be completely disabled by taking this line out of addon.xml and restarting Kodi
Code:

It's definitely the service. If I remark that out from addon.xml then Kodi quits fine (even with the context menu enabled, so that isn't it).  I added a bunch of check point logging just to see what was happening, and it seems like something is restarting the script (or the service I can't tell what) after it stops.  Here's a logfile with a single check point log line that says "the poller has stopped." I think that's an indicator that the service has shutdown (I added that log line as the last line of the run() function of the ServiceMonitor class). But you can see right after that that there are more references to the addon in the log, a few that say it's waiting on a thread, and then one saying the script didn't stop after five seconds.

https://paste.kodi.tv/azusaloqik.kodi

And just to confirm, I'm running version 4.0.8, which looks like the version that's listed in the addon.xml in the refactor-matrix branch. I'd hate to be doing all this just to find out I'm on the wrong version.

RE: plugin.video.themoviedb.helper - Access to TheMovieDb API for Skinners - jurialmunkey - 2020-10-21

(2020-10-21, 01:38)pkscout Wrote:
(2020-10-20, 23:13)jurialmunkey Wrote: Usually debug log isn't that helpful for hangs/crashes but this part is a bit weird:
Code:

Code:

It's definitely the service. If I remark that out from addon.xml then Kodi quits fine (even with the context menu enabled, so that isn't it).  I added a bunch of check point logging just to see what was happening, and it seems like something is restarting the script (or the service I can't tell what) after it stops.  Here's a logfile with a single check point log line that says "the poller has stopped." I think that's an indicator that the service has shutdown (I added that log line as the last line of the run() function of the ServiceMonitor class). But you can see right after that that there are more references to the addon in the log, a few that say it's waiting on a thread, and then one saying the script didn't stop after five seconds.

https://paste.kodi.tv/azusaloqik.kodi

And just to confirm, I'm running version 4.0.8, which looks like the version that's listed in the addon.xml in the refactor-matrix branch. I'd hate to be doing all this just to find out I'm on the wrong version.

Yep v4.0.8 from refactor-matrix branch is the correct one (well it's now 4.0.10 but only because I just pushed a few changes).

Good to know it is the service. I suspected that was the cause but good to have confirmation.

The "script successfully run" messages are normal and indicate (very counter-intuitively) that the script got to the end of the code, not that it is starting up. You can see there were two instances (3) and (15) of the service. The (15) one completed properly because it got "onExecutionDone" but the (3) one didn't clean up whatever thread it had going and Kodi tried to kill it. That'd be where the hang is.

Can you test with v4.0.10 that I just pushed to the refactor-matrix branch? I added in some additional exit conditions. I tested on a fresh portable install of Matrix Alpha 2 using Arctic Horizon (I only installed AH and it's dependencies) and it has exited cleanly every time for me so far with these changes.

RE: plugin.video.themoviedb.helper - Access to TheMovieDb API for Skinners - pkscout - 2020-10-21

(2020-10-21, 04:02)jurialmunkey Wrote: Can you test with v4.0.10 that I just pushed to the refactor-matrix branch? I added in some additional exit conditions. I tested on a fresh portable install of Matrix Alpha 2 using Arctic Horizon (I only installed AH and it's dependencies) and it has exited cleanly every time for me so far with these changes.

That seems to have fixed it. I was able to quit Kodi three separate times, and before I could *never* get Kodi to quit.

RE: plugin.video.themoviedb.helper - Access to TheMovieDb API for Skinners - jurialmunkey - 2020-10-22

(2020-10-21, 21:17)pkscout Wrote:
(2020-10-21, 04:02)jurialmunkey Wrote: Can you test with v4.0.10 that I just pushed to the refactor-matrix branch? I added in some additional exit conditions. I tested on a fresh portable install of Matrix Alpha 2 using Arctic Horizon (I only installed AH and it's dependencies) and it has exited cleanly every time for me so far with these changes.

That seems to have fixed it. I was able to quit Kodi three separate times, and before I could *never* get Kodi to quit.

Excellent! I'm so glad it is working - fixing these types of issues was one of the big motivations for the rewrite.

And thanks for testing. Really appreciate it! Smile

RE: plugin.video.themoviedb.helper - Access to TheMovieDb API for Skinners - jurialmunkey - 2020-10-24

I've now merged the refactor branches into the master equivalents (i.e. refactor -> master || refactor-matrix -> matrix).

Since I haven't heard any other issues from skinners and things feel pretty stable for me on Leia, I think the best way to catch any errors/issues is simply to push it out there and wait for bug reports to come in from users. Hopefully that should mean I'll have a good solid release ready for official repo by the time Matrix is ready for release.

RE: plugin.video.themoviedb.helper - Access to TheMovieDb API for Skinners - drinfernoo - 2020-10-24

(2020-10-24, 02:30)jurialmunkey Wrote: I've now merged the refactor branches into the master equivalents (i.e. refactor -> master || refactor-matrix -> matrix).

Since I haven't heard any other issues from skinners and things feel pretty stable for me on Leia, I think the best way to catch any errors/issues is simply to push it out there and wait for bug reports to come in from users. Hopefully that should mean I'll have a good solid release ready for official repo by the time Matrix is ready for release.

I should be able to update the repo tomorrow morning Big Grin

RE: plugin.video.themoviedb.helper - Access to TheMovieDb API for Skinners - bsoriano - 2020-10-24

(2020-10-24, 02:30)jurialmunkey Wrote: I've now merged the refactor branches into the master equivalents (i.e. refactor -> master || refactor-matrix -> matrix).

@jurialmunkey, I tested with Matrix and did not find any issues. I will test with Leia today.

Regards,

Bart

RE: plugin.video.themoviedb.helper - Access to TheMovieDb API for Skinners - jurialmunkey - 2020-10-25

(2020-10-24, 12:57)bsoriano Wrote:

@jurialmunkey, I tested with Matrix and did not find any issues. I will test with Leia today.

Regards,

Bart

Thanks for testing!

If it works in Matrix it will work in Leia - code base is practically the same between the two.

Main thing I was worried about is if I've forgot to include some feature that you use in your skins. I didn't want to ship something that was going to break skins!

RE: plugin.video.themoviedb.helper - Access to TheMovieDb API for Skinners - Mahava - 2020-10-27

I posted an issue on github, but am not sure if that's the right place 'cause I've reverted to 3.3.21.

I tried the higher version then realized there was no way to add something to library.   3.3.21 has "TMDB options" in the context menu and I can click it and select "Add to Kodi Library", but this later version does not.   It would be great if "Add to Kodi Library" was easier to get to from inside the program and outside it.

And there is an issue with "Hide Unaired Episodes".  Even when this is switched on, the show title "Foundation", for example, appears in my library with the first episode even though it airs Dec 31.  I tested scraping it with "Hide Unaired Episodes" switched off, and it displayed all 6 episodes.   So, the setting works to hide only episodes 2 onward, but doesn't hide the first episode even though it is unaired and not due to air for 8 weeks.

RE: plugin.video.themoviedb.helper - Access to TheMovieDb API for Skinners - jurialmunkey - 2020-10-28

(2020-10-27, 22:32)Mahava Wrote: I posted an issue on github, but am not sure if that's the right place 'cause I've reverted to 3.3.21.

I tried the higher version then realized there was no way to add something to library.   3.3.21 has "TMDB options" in the context menu and I can click it and select "Add to Kodi Library", but this later version does not.   It would be great if "Add to Kodi Library" was easier to get to from inside the program and outside it.

And there is an issue with "Hide Unaired Episodes".  Even when this is switched on, the show title "Foundation", for example, appears in my library with the first episode even though it airs Dec 31.  I tested scraping it with "Hide Unaired Episodes" switched off, and it displayed all 6 episodes.   So, the setting works to hide only episodes 2 onward, but doesn't hide the first episode even though it is unaired and not due to air for 8 weeks.

The add to library context issue has already been fixed. V4 is a major rewrite so some bumps along the way are expected - ive tried to test things as much as possible myself but obviously there are small thing here and there that I've forgotten about. I'm relying on users to report the missing features or that things aren't working as expected and I'm fixing as needed.

I'm not sure what you want me to do about an air date bug in an older version of the plugin... Unless you are saying the air date bug is happening in the new version but not the old version?

RE: plugin.video.themoviedb.helper - Access to TheMovieDb API for Skinners - Mahava - 2020-10-28

(2020-10-28, 00:06)jurialmunkey Wrote:
(2020-10-27, 22:32)Mahava Wrote: I posted an issue on github, but am not sure if that's the right place 'cause I've reverted to 3.3.21.

The add to library context issue has already been fixed. V4 is a major rewrite so some bumps along the way are expected - ive tried to test things as much as possible myself but obviously there are small thing here and there that I've forgotten about. I'm relying on users to report the missing features or that things aren't working as expected and I'm fixing as needed.

I'm not sure what you want me to do about an air date bug in an older version of the plugin... Unless you are saying the air date bug is happening in the new version but not the old version?
I would have been happy to test the 4.** version that was pushed if I could find the "add to kodi library button".
version 4.0.18 manual install from repo: 'add to kodi library' NOT seen on right-click context menu.  No way for me to test airdate if I can't add something to the library.

..reverting to the newest old version I have archived, 3.3.*