Kodi Community Forum
Release Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Android (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=164)
+---- Thread: Release Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV (/showthread.php?tid=360018)

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - DaMacFunkin - 2021-03-01

(2021-03-01, 00:32)ragico Wrote: On GoogleChromecast with Google Tv I installed the 32 bit version (as the OS is 32 bit on this device).
All Mel DV mkv play perfectly.
All Fel DV mkv play for 5/6 seconds and then stop.
All Fel mkv play perfectly in Plex and in Emby.
Can you and @quietvoid do something for this problem?
Thanks @fandangos and @quietvoid
I believe that although the CC Google TV can theoretically decode multiple streams it just doesn’t have the ‘grunt’ to process DV FEL, it wasn’t made for that and at £60 you definitely shouldn’t expect that.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - ragico - 2021-03-01

(2021-03-01, 08:06)DaMacFunkin Wrote:
(2021-03-01, 00:32)ragico Wrote: On GoogleChromecast with Google Tv I installed the 32 bit version (as the OS is 32 bit on this device).
I believe that although the CC Google TV can theoretically decode multiple streams it just doesn’t have the ‘grunt’ to process DV FEL, it wasn’t made for that and at £60 you definitely shouldn’t expect that.
It's not a problem of decode multiple streams or power.
 With CC Google TV Plex and Emby play more than 50 Fel Mkv perfectly. Why Kodi play them for few seconds and then stops?
I do not believe is a power or decode issue. Maybe Kodi should be investigated.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - catshome - 2021-03-01

(2021-03-01, 12:52)ragico Wrote:
(2021-03-01, 08:06)DaMacFunkin Wrote:
It's not a problem of decode multiple streams or power.
 With CC Google TV Plex and Emby play more than 50 Fel Mkv perfectly. Why Kodi play them for few seconds and then stops?
I do not believe is a power or decode issue. Maybe Kodi should be investigated.
I can confirm exactly this problem on the FireTV 4K Stick/Cube.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - quietvoid - 2021-03-01

(2021-03-01, 16:42)catshome Wrote: I can confirm exactly this problem on the FireTV 4K Stick/Cube.
I can't, the stick only renders a black screen with a FEL file.
Regardless of Plex, ExoPlayer or Kodi.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - araemo - 2021-03-02

Thank you for this build.  This enabled dolby vision playback on my 2019 shield TV stick from MKV files.  Not all was perfect though:
for these, playback was choppy, but correct colors/showed dolby vision on the TV picture status
P4_LG_Dolby_Trailer_4K_Demo.mkv
P5_Dolby_Amaze.mkv

For this FEL file, video playback was fine and activated DV, but audio was just static (while this file played fine in HDR10 under official kodi 19.. I do notice that it's the only file I tested that has DTS:X/DTS-HD MA though, so it might just be that codec?  I'll have to find another with that codec to test)
P7_FEL_GIJoe_The_Rise_of_Cobra.mkv

These both played smooth and correct:
P7_MEL_GIJoe_The_Rise_of_Cobra.mkv
P81_GlassBlowing2_3840x2160@59_94fps_15200kbps.mkv

My self-ripped Game of Thrones UHD/DV rip played with correct colors, but with some stuttering and slow UI. (Ripped using MakeMKV 1.15.4).  My Blu-ray drive has gone bad since I did that rip so I don't have any other DV movies self-ripped w/ DV yet.
(2021-02-27, 02:42)fandangos Wrote: I'm a member of another forum that someone mentioned that after update 8.0 he would sell his nvidia shield tv pro because it was just impossible to use.
We were chatting and I could not understand how bad his experience was when I develop for the shield box, compiled apks and installed it, probably more than 100 times and my experience is outstanding.

I'm also pushing it really hard since my rclone webdav mount is sharing a very extensive library that only google drive could host.

I, like many others here have absolute no complains about Kodi, DV and the shield.
I have no idea if the latest firmware broke something for some.

But if you look at this thread, all the problems with the nvidia shield had the same root: wrong settings somewhere.
Or, getting the wrong apk and saying that DV doesn't work.

I would understand this if we were talking about PC, that has some many variables but with a closed box like the shield using the same software, there must be something breaking it.

The latest release has almost 300 downloads according to github stars. I don't think so many have a broken experience.

If you are able to figure out what's going on, please, let us know.
Also, look at some smb performance, try to serve the files using NFS.
There's so much that changed from Leia 18.9 to Matrix latest that it would be really hard to pin point what is causing this on a particular setup.

So, are there ideas what the improper settings are? I initially tried with nothing special set up, and I had some buffering issues with very high bitrate content (Despite using gigabit wired networking all the way to the server which can feed vlc/kodi on a windows system just fine), so I've since added a cachemembuffersize setting to my advancedsettings.xml, but that's the only thing I have tried. I do notice that sometimes if playback is too choppy, I reboot the whole shield and it gets better, so I wonder if there are some background tasks that start up over time and slow the system down?

I've also noticed that bringing up the playback UI tends to elicit lots of chop/slowness too.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - MrKaon - 2021-03-02

Hello guys, I know this thread is bout DV MKV files but I am having a problem with mp4 file.
Fire Stick 4K + Kodi 19 + LG C8 playing a DV mp4 file is showing green tint , and TV doesn't show DV badge on upper right corner.
any thought?

P.S.
DV works fine in official Netflix app.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - ragico - 2021-03-02

(2021-02-25, 16:31)quietvoid Wrote:
(2021-02-25, 15:09)jkatchy2 Wrote: So What version I have to use for Firestick 4k to play DV MKV ? Your 32 bit apk or the one from quietvoid ? When i use the 32 bit version it pops up DV but with black screen and audio on Firestick 4k .
(2021-02-25, 15:51)jkatchy2 Wrote: Tested with multiple version like FEL , MEL of DV MKV either it stutters heavy or Black Screen .

The firestick can't play profile 7 FEL files, that's why you're getting a black screen.
Eventually (if I have the time) I'd like to get Kodi to convert profiles on the fly.

Otherwise all other profiles work fine for me.
Kodi converting on the fly to profiles compatible with Firestick would really be awesome. Hope that you find the time to do it. Thank you @quietvoid

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - Braxnl - 2021-03-03

For anyone that still experiences microstutters, could you please try to start a movie, then pauze for a couple of seconds and then resume the movie?

Although it may sound odd and unexplainable, this seemed to be a fix for me. I reported about a week ago in this thread after having watched a full length DV movie with the latest build the microstuttering was fixed. But when I started a second movie I unfortunatelly noticed the microstuttering was back... I didn’t want to look into it further so I just tried to ignore it...

But today while I was watching The Matrix DV I had to pauze the movie half way because I received a call. When resuming after a couple of minutes I realised to my surprise I hadn’t seen microstuttering anymore since resuming... so I decided to stop the movie, exit Kodi, start Kodi again en then start the movie again... and noticed the microstuttering was back. Pauzed the movie again for a couple of seconds and then resumed... microstuttering was gone again. I have repeated this multiple times with every time the same result. To be sure it wasn’t coincidence I watched the last 20 minutes without interupting (after first having the movie pauzed of course) and all 20 minutes I didn’t noticed any microstutter at all.

Perhaps any one that still experiences microstutter can try this out as well? I don’t expect to be able to watch a movie in the upcoming days to be able to see if this weird workarround really works in all cases, but in case it does I already wanted to share it with any movie lover out there so it can be used (or at least tried) so microstutters won’t ruin the DV movie experience.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - alestew - 2021-03-03

Interesting @Braxnl , I'll try it later. Thanks Wink

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - ok491 - 2021-03-03

Hi, everyone.
I've tried many times to install DV Kodi apk from 1st page - not successful, DV mkv files plays as HDR(
mp4 DV files trigger DV on TV but with huge shuttering. 
NVidia TV pro 2019 & LG OLED E8.
All movies at NAS, SMB connection. 
Also if I connected to NAS via Mediaserver - no one file can be played, few minutes preparing for play, and later on Kodi crushing.
Any ideas?

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - blenky - 2021-03-03

What am I doing wrong here?

Installed latest Kodi 19 DV build on my NVIDIA Shield 2019 pro.

Played a variety of DV MKV files that play in DV on my Zidoo Z9X.  Via Kodi all play in HDR10.  

Tried rebooting the Shield and turning DV off and on the Shield settings.  Thanks

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - MrMagic - 2021-03-03

@blenky Did you install the APK that is listed in the first post of this topic?

Also, if you have the official Kodi 19 installed, you will have two icons that look exactly the same on your Shield. Make sure you are starting the correct one. The one from this thread has a different package name than the official one.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - blenky - 2021-03-03

(2021-03-03, 13:56)MrMagic Wrote: @blenky Did you install the APK that is listed in the first post of this topic?

Also, if you have the official Kodi 19 installed, you will have two icons that look exactly the same on your Shield. Make sure you are starting the correct one. The one from this thread has a different package name than the official one.

Doh!  What a pillock I am.   Blush .  Yes installed from first page but then playing wrong version!

Thanks - working perfectly.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - fera27 - 2021-03-03

Hey guys! 
Sorry for the other dummy question, but it seems that FEL content is not displayed correctly (everything is green). Is anyone facing similar issue?
Am I correct, that I need to convert those into MEL? Do you have any hint how to do that?  Blush

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - frrilay - 2021-03-03

(2021-03-03, 15:12)fera27 Wrote: Hey guys! 
Sorry for the other dummy question, but it seems that FEL content is not displayed correctly (everything is green). Is anyone facing similar issue?
Am I correct, that I need to convert those into MEL? Do you have any hint how to do that?  Blush

What device do you use?