• 19(current)
Release Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV
(2021-02-24, 22:38)fandangos Wrote:
(2021-02-24, 22:28)Martolk Wrote: @alestel , I tried The Lord of the rings, but unfortunately it was two layers. Inbuilt player didn't play it. Kodi plays it, but in HDR. When I switch second video stream (DV) display stays all green. I also tried the Kodi instaled on the TV with SMB shared folder. It stutters at same scenes like the one installed on the Fire TV Cube. That means the problem is the SMB connection.

Only commercial players are able to play dual layer dolby vision content. 
You can buy an OPPO 203 or one of it's clones if this format is important to you.

And the Amlogic S922X-J: [link]
(2021-02-24, 01:48)MrMagic Wrote:
(2021-02-23, 22:25)aKeltic Wrote: Ok so I was misinformed about the pvr stuff this is just a basic apk with the tools needed for dv playback my bad matrix. But I'll still stand by what I said about the official release is supposed to support dv playback but it doesn't even tho it says it does smh oh well nice job on this Smile

The official Kodi 19 release does support DV, but only for MP4 files (which cannot contain HD audio formats like Dolby TrueHD or DTS-MA).

The release in this thread adds some ffmpeg patches that allow the processing of MKV files with DV video streams. And you also get the ability to play full blu-ray menus if you install the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) addon (64-bit only for now).

Please try. The Kodi 19 official final build supports Profile 7 Dolby Vision from mkv too, and way better than this apk. I tested with an Ugoos AM6 Plus.
(2021-02-25, 08:19)djnice Wrote:
(2021-02-23, 22:25)aKeltic Wrote: Ok so I was misinformed about the pvr stuff this is just a basic apk with the tools needed for dv playback my bad matrix. But I'll still stand by what I said about the official release is supposed to support dv playback but it doesn't even tho it says it does smh oh well nice job on this Smile

The official Kodi 19 release does support DV, but only for MP4 files (which cannot contain HD audio formats like Dolby TrueHD or DTS-MA).

The release in this thread adds some ffmpeg patches that allow the processing of MKV files with DV video streams. And you also get the ability to play full blu-ray menus if you install the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) addon (64-bit only for now).

Please try. The Kodi 19 official final build supports Profile 7 Dolby Vision from mkv too, and way better than this apk. I tested with an Ugoos AM6 Plus.

No DV on Shield from MKV with official build....
(2021-02-24, 22:36)fandangos Wrote:
(2021-02-24, 01:48)MrMagic Wrote: And you also get the ability to play full blu-ray menus if you install the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) addon (64-bit only for now).

This changes today, 32bits version of Java for Android is up Smile
Where do i find this? (64bit version actually)
(2021-02-24, 11:43)Martolk Wrote:
(2021-02-24, 11:02)alestew Wrote: @Martolk  the stuttering or judder where I notice it is in panoramic traveling scenes, only in Dolby Vision movies, I have done tests with all the Lord of the ring and the Hobbit movies and it happens in all. With mkv and with m2ts. I think that if Kodi detected the different refresh rates on the TV it would solve the problem

Later I'll try with The Lord of the rings The return of the king, which is 121 GB MP4 Dolby Vision remux. Actually, although the lower detected resolution on the TV, I'm not really sure, is there any noticable difference in quality between Kodi on Fire Cube (shows 4k resolution) and Kodi on the TV (shows 1080p). Maybe it's just the GUI interface, I don't know, but I think it should be noticable difference in quality on a 75 inch TV.

PS: Haw do you play it, local with a HDD in TVs USB or through the network resource?

I was detected by the mkv of The Lord of the Rings The Return of the King on Dolby Vision through Kodi. It makes judder in the motion picture scenes but otherwise it goes well. But they are movies that have a lot of scenery.
(2021-02-25, 08:19)djnice Wrote:

I tried and it it wan't playing Dolby Vision from my mkvs, only profile 5 mp4
And that was with a Ugoos AM6 plus
(2021-02-25, 10:35)mattmarsden Wrote: And that was with a Ugoos AM6 plus

This is interesting because it works for me and for you here Winkhttps://makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?...00#p105755
Also, profile 5 mp4/mkvs don't play properly on this build with the Ugoos - theres lots of flickering and flashing whereas on the standard Kodi 19 build profile 5 mp4s play fine.
(2021-02-25, 10:43)djnice Wrote:
(2021-02-25, 10:35)mattmarsden Wrote: And that was with a Ugoos AM6 plus

This is interesting because it works for me and for you here Winkhttps://makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?...00#p105755
Thats with the modified build here, not the official release downloaded from the Kodi website.
Its so close with this build with Ugoos AM6+! DV MEL play fine, DV FEL and have seeking problems but when they start playing they play fine. I hope these last few issues can be ironed out as this would be the ultimate device, the only one that can properly play DV FEL.
(2021-02-25, 08:17)djnice Wrote:
(2021-02-24, 22:38)fandangos Wrote:
(2021-02-24, 22:28)Martolk Wrote: @alestel , I tried The Lord of the rings, but unfortunately it was two layers. Inbuilt player didn't play it. Kodi plays it, but in HDR. When I switch second video stream (DV) display stays all green. I also tried the Kodi instaled on the TV with SMB shared folder. It stutters at same scenes like the one installed on the Fire TV Cube. That means the problem is the SMB connection.

Only commercial players are able to play dual layer dolby vision content. 
You can buy an OPPO 203 or one of it's clones if this format is important to you.

And the Amlogic S922X-J: [link]

This is mp4.
So, to my understanding there's some conversion done to fit it.
Also it's not the chipset that supports it, you need a software that can do it.

See the unanswered question at the end.
M2TS are not supported. So UHD BD dual layer stream is only supported by commercial players.
(2021-02-25, 09:12)Epedemic Wrote:
(2021-02-24, 22:36)fandangos Wrote:
(2021-02-24, 01:48)MrMagic Wrote: And you also get the ability to play full blu-ray menus if you install the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) addon (64-bit only for now).

This changes today, 32bits version of Java for Android is up Smile
Where do i find this? (64bit version actually)

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=360250
When ffmpeg supports DV in mkv will it just work in standard Kodi?
So What version I have to use for Firestick 4k to play DV MKV ? Your 32 bit apk or the one from quietvoid ? When i use the 32 bit version it pops up DV but with black screen and audio on Firestick 4k .
(2021-02-25, 03:12)fandangos Wrote: So, explaning about how multiple devices work with Dolby Vision and why some (many?) don't work with this build. 

With Dolby Vision what Kodi is doing is this:

movie file --> Kodi --> android media codec (surface) ---> TV
the android media codec is doing everything, reading the video data, decoding, rendering, outputing it, we don't have much control over it and don't know exactly what is is doing.

If you look at the code you will see OMX.Nvidia or OMX.MTK
If you are using a Nvidia Shield box you have OMX.Nvidia.DOVI for Dolby Vision and for some other players like the FireStick TV you have omx.mtk.video.decoder.dvhe, what this means is that, each android box player has a different black box. 
Each tv with android tv. 

This sadly, isn't standard. 
So what happens is that while it works with the shield and the firestick, it might not work on your android TV device. 
and even if we change the code to look for every single video decoder, it will not work, see the work that quietvoid did for the firestick, it is very different in the way it reads DV compared to the Shield. 

So, if it's not working for you, that's the cause and it's impossible to work out every single tv and box.
If someone wants to develop for the box he/she has at home, I can add the code to this build but beyond that, I don't see much else changing.
  • 19(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV0