Kodi Community Forum
aguide for xbmc live - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: aguide for xbmc live (/showthread.php?tid=98578)

Pages: 1 2

- Angelscry - 2011-04-08

bolero76 Wrote:i like to know something why people will install linux if all the program that the most of the users uses is in windows programs like: messenger,yahoo skype,facebook and more and more... .what the diffrent advances and not advances linux and windows versions?
Linux is a more flexible and free platform than Windows. You can have a better control on your computer and on its system. For example, as you see with XBMC Live, you can directly start XBMC on a computer without have any OS boot or logon screen. Under windows you need to start windows as usual, then start XBMC. It is not so clean... because not really flexible.

Windows programs are for windows system. But that's not mean that you do not have any equivalent of windows programs under linux : messenger, yahoo. There is a linux version of skype, etc...

I'm a linux user since a lot of years. What I prefer under linux is that if I want to do something specific with my computer, I'm able to do it without spending a lot of money for a specific application or go into "illegality" to do it. I have a entirely control on my system.

The only inconvenient, for me, is that Linux do not have a lot of native PC games on it. But this fact is principally due to the games creators that preferably develop for Windows systems. But because Linux is really flexible... there is always possibility to bypass this limitation.

bolero76 Wrote:1 more thing i have to ask, i hear that it possible in xbmc to watch a movie and to get private messege in the same time for example from messenger or skype (like small popup window) is this possible ? it will be amazing woww
and i like to know if its related to advanced launcher or to the
Bash script launchers ? how can i do this ?
and how to start learn make scripts in xbmc ?
thanks alot my friend and have great day you very kind
I have never heard or read something about any messenger plugin for XBMC. Sorry. I do not know exactly what will happen if you are using XBMC with messenger into background when you receive a message. Advanced Launcher do not manage this. Advanced Launcher only launch applications. I think it may be possible to do a plugin like this... but it will be not easy to manage the messenger communication protocol into python. To make script for XBMC?... read, read, read...

thanks and thanks a lot you very help me - bolero76 - 2011-04-08

Smile few things i like to know please :

1. can u send me link or something to start learn how to make script in xbmc

2.i m a little confused about scripting in xbmc i need to know Python programming language or just to learn the tags of the program like xml tags can u explain me what to learn ?

3.if i wanna install somthing that linux support like skype how to install in linux just write this :
sudo apt-get install skype or i need to save the file first to my place that my linux is, and after how can i install ?

4. i ask in another forum about install program and they said that i need two program to have thst called "winscp putty " to work with linux files what that means?

- Angelscry - 2011-04-08

bolero76 Wrote:1. can u send me link or something to start learn how to make script in xbmc
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBMC%27s_Inner_Workings

bolero76 Wrote:2.i m a little confused about scripting in xbmc i need to know Python programming language or just to learn the tags of the program like xml tags can u explain me what to learn ?
XBMC plugins and scripts are written into Python. Configuration and settings files are most of the time XML files.

bolero76 Wrote:3.if i wanna install somthing that linux support like skype how to install in linux just write this :
sudo apt-get install skype or i need to save the file first to my place that my linux is, and after how can i install ?
No, just do sudo apt-get install skype. It will automatically download and install skype on your Linux system. You must use this command FROM your Linux system.

bolero76 Wrote:4. i ask in another forum about install program and they said that i need two program to have thst called "winscp putty " to work with linux files what that means?
I don't know. WinSCP is a SFTP, FTP and SCP client for Windows and putty is a Telnet and SSH client. I think this command is to take control of your Linux system from windows. Confused Personally if you need to use command line... do it directly from your Linux system.

i cant install beacuse .... - bolero76 - 2011-04-11

No, just do sudo apt-get install skype. It will automatically download and install skype on your Linux system. You must use this command FROM your Linux system.

i try to download from skype website the installion file of linux and save it into my hard disk and i write what u told me "sudo apt -get install skype " and its write me that he cant find the package from driver e (i guess it means my disk on key flash driver) ,all my hard disk was mounting and i see all the files from my xbmc live incoulded the installion file of skype (how i get the file insatllion of skype into my xbmc live disk on key?) .
when i try to put the file skype from my windows 7 my system into my disk on key , its ask me to format my disk on key (and ofcourse i will not do it beacuse all my xbmc live is on that disk on key and it boot from there).
is there any way to put my skype installion file into my disk on key or i can do it from my xbmc gui interface because i see the file from there but i dont know how to get it inside my disk on key ?
what to do now my dear friend Smile Huh

- Angelscry - 2011-04-11

I think the best way for you is first to start to learn what is Linux and how it works exactly before wanting to use and install applications on this operating system. We go nowhere actually.

- bolero76 - 2011-04-11

hi my friend you the most faster response that i see nice.
first i like to add you as a friend because i like to be with contact with you and we can even chat directly if you dont mind and if you dont like it its ok feel free to say ,and i will be glad to chat with you and talk about xbmc and other stuff things .
anyway i m understand that you think i need to learn linux ,i would love to know linux but i wanna be specialized in xbmc program i like to build media center computer and install xbmc inside accordingly to the needs of the costumers , so i guess i need to learn linux with xbmc and windows with xbmc and after to learn scripts and little pythons language.
but first i try to build in my home media center and really i dont know from where to strat my learning ? from windows installion or linux (dont know nothing in linux only few commands),so maybe you can show me the way from where to start .
i like to spend 2 or 3 hours aday in learning but from where to start can you help me with this we can be in contact and if i can help you too with something i will be glad to help. i have knowledge in technique things in computer in windows only like technician pc and little networks only in windows environment i was study before 10 years java and java scripts and asp but i dont remember from this study nothing only the idea because i not use this after i finish my course study . so my friend this is me and im really like to study xbmc its rreally exciting me a lot can you please show me the way to succeed . my email address if you wanna talk is : "[email protected]"
have a nice day