Kodi Community Forum
[WIP] Metropolis skin - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Metropolis (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=162)
+---- Thread: [WIP] Metropolis skin (/showthread.php?tid=99317)

- Amra - 2012-02-09

quebert Wrote:Ok, I'm stumped about the music genre icons. I tried putting them in /media/musicgenres and nothing. So I tried /extras/musicgenres, nothing either. I Googled this and didn't see anything helpful about where they go. What am I not doing right here? Sad
I believe stoli needs to add them into the skin (via github) along with the proper xml code. Just adding them to the skin at this point will not work.

- Therms - 2012-02-09

stoli Wrote:Looks like you downloaded fanart as folder.jpg

Nope.

Amra Wrote:@Therms
Also make sure in your XBMC video sources that you have Posters set to download by default and not Banners. That could also be the cause.

Ahh, yes. "Prefer Posters" was not checked for my TV source.

How do I get XBMC to change these banners to posters?

Also...shouldn't Metropolis prefer to use folder.jpg rather than whatever XBMC downloaded?

- kri kri - 2012-02-09

You will need to rescrape to get the posters.

- sialivi - 2012-02-09

@Amra

Great genre art! Hate to do this, but here are a few more for your (or stolis') consideration:

Normal Priority: Audiobook, Alternative Metal, Nu Metal, Dubstep, Gothic Metal, Mashup, Spoken Word, Comedy, J-Pop, Techno, Eurodance, Symphonic Metal, Electronica (not sure if the current Electronic is a typo or if it refers to general electronic music)

Lower Priority: Breakbeat, Power Metal, Thrash Metal, Synthpop

- kyotocafe - 2012-02-09

Shinu Wrote:I kinda miss seeing a movie's plot in the full-screen info. as the display is now, it kinda seems a bit lacking. like it needs a bit more info. ever thought of putting it at the bottom part of the osd? here's a mockup of what it might look like.

also the tv show screen needs somework. an option to have both the episode thumb and the log would be nice, much like Fusion...

just a couple things that i would love to see added to the skin. hope u'll take them under consideration. Smile

nice job Shinu, these are very good mockups

- Hitcher - 2012-02-09

Therms Wrote:Ahh, yes. "Prefer Posters" was not checked for my TV source.

How do I get XBMC to change these banners to posters?

Refresh the show info but not for episodes when asked.

- Amra - 2012-02-09

sialivi Wrote:@Amra

Great genre art! Hate to do this, but here are a few more for your (or stolis') consideration:

Normal Priority: Audiobook, Alternative Metal, Nu Metal, Dubstep, Gothic Metal, Mashup, Spoken Word, Comedy, J-Pop, Techno, Eurodance, Symphonic Metal, Electronica (not sure if the current Electronic is a typo or if it refers to general electronic music)

Lower Priority: Breakbeat, Power Metal, Thrash Metal, Synthpop
Whew! I haven't even heard of a lot of the ones I did as well as what you just listed. I will, however, see what I can do when I have time again (not this week, unfortunately).

Re: "Electronic" vs "Electronica", I was using THIS LIST as a reference. It lists "Electronica" as a sub-genre of "Electronic" so I just went with "Electronic". I would imagine it's just a matter of re-using the image I already did & renaming it. That's what I did for "Rock" and "Rock n Roll" in the download.

@everyone else
There are A LOT of music genres and as much as I would like to do them all, it just really is not possible for me to do so, I still do not have much time to give to this skin. It is still my skin of choice on my HTPC but if I can find time, I want to do a few themes that I had in mind when I originally came up with the skin. So, if there is another music genre that someone absolutely-positively-has-to-have, then they are quite easy to do if you follow the instructions I previously posted for video genre images. Obviously though, put the music genre images in "media\musicgenres" when finished, as well as a copy without text in "media\musicgenres\NoLabels".

- Victim - 2012-02-09

I tried this skin recently and really loved. Excellent work Amra and stoli. It really is a work of art.

PS. I really like the mock-ups that Shinu made too. The added plot and logo/thumb for TV Shows look really nice. I would love to see those add. Nod

- stoli - 2012-02-09

Amra Wrote:Whew! I haven't even heard of a lot of the ones I did as well as what you just listed. I will, however, see what I can do when I have time again (not this week, unfortunately).

Re: "Electronic" vs "Electronica", I was using THIS LIST as a reference. It lists "Electronica" as a sub-genre of "Electronic" so I just went with "Electronic". I would imagine it's just a matter of re-using the image I already did & renaming it. That's what I did for "Rock" and "Rock n Roll" in the download.

@everyone else
There are A LOT of music genres and as much as I would like to do them all, it just really is not possible for me to do so, I still do not have much time to give to this skin. It is still my skin of choice on my HTPC but if I can find time, I want to do a few themes that I had in mind when I originally came up with the skin. So, if there is another music genre that someone absolutely-positively-has-to-have, then they are quite easy to do if you follow the instructions I previously posted for video genre images. Obviously though, put the music genre images in "media\musicgenres" when finished, as well as a copy without text in "media\musicgenres\NoLabels".

There are more genres than can possible be managed in an efficient manner. I've gone through my music library (around 20,000 songs) and re-tagged them with more common and manageable set of about 30 genres (at one point there were well over 100).

That being said, if someone wants to make more and they look good, I will include them.

- stoli - 2012-02-09

Victim Wrote:I tried this skin recently and really loved. Excellent work Amra and stoli. It really is a work of art.

PS. I really like the mock-ups that Shinu made too. The added plot and logo/thumb for TV Shows look really nice. I would love to see those add. Nod

I'm still on the fence on the mock-ups... At best I would make the plot info an option and I'm not at all sure about the extra logo. I've been trying to keep everything within the texture (exception being posters).

- sialivi - 2012-02-09

stoli Wrote:I'm still on the fence on the mock-ups... At best I would make the plot info an option and I'm not at all sure about the extra logo. I've been trying to keep everything within the texture (exception being posters).

Yeah, plot is useless clutter in the OSD. If you don't know the plot of what you're currently watching, you have bigger problems than what the skin can solve. Wink

- Shinu - 2012-02-10

sialivi Wrote:Yeah, plot is useless clutter in the OSD. If you don't know the plot of what you're currently watching, you have bigger problems than what the skin can solve. Wink

well that's typical of someone to say who has only a few movies in their collection. for those who have 3000+ movies and 400+ tv series, it's hard to remember every deal of a movie's plot. i honestly think an option would be best, to satisfy everyone. i understand what u saying about the logo though. i still like the idea of having both together Laugh . many skins don't do that. may u can have it to the right of the episode name in line with the finish time. but i kinda rather the first way TBH...

- stoli - 2012-02-10

@Shinu - Your mock-ups look good an I'll probably add the plot option (pretty sure Amra had it at the top before and I removed it.) As for adding more images or logos or what-have-you to it adds clutter (my opinion) to the display. What I saw in Amra's work was a clean and uncluttered interface and I am trying to stay as true to that as possible.

That's not to say someone can't create a mod with options galore.

Then again if Amra likes it, I'll add it. Smile

- Shinu - 2012-02-10

OK. fair enough. thanks a bunch stoli. hopefully Arma likes the idea too. *keeps fingers crossed* Laugh

- stoli - 2012-02-10

Logo and plot would be tough though - that Spatacus logo isn't tall. To accommodate HxW of all logos the plot would have to be contained within the two images, likely resulting in a lot of scrolling plots.

Back to my Jaeger now... Smile