Can't update nVidia drivers on XBMC Live Install
Hi,

I am running a Live install of XBMC off my Acer Aspire Revo which has an nVidia ION chip. I recently updated xbmc and after it rebooted, the screen goes dark and in the middle is a single dialogue box that says something like XBMC requires a GPU to run. I googled this and found that it means I need to install/update nVidia drivers.

No problem.

I tried SSHing into the box and running

Code:
sudo nvidia-installer --update
or something like that.

It started a simple GUI where it downloaded the drivers but it fails when installing because it says I can't be in an X (windows) environment when updating.

I tried all sorts of things like "init 3" and "init 1" and even booting into a recovery mode from the boot menu. No luck.

I've also tried installing wget, grabbing the file manually, and running it from a shell. Same error.

Any help?
I posted a half decent how to and also have the drivers on ppa

you will need also libvdpau-dev and libvdpau1 (also on ppa) in addition to all the rest.

heres a link

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=830083&postcount=4

you should know how to add a ppa and use it, if not google how to.
Thanks for your help X3lectric. I am not versed in linux at all so forgive me but I tried:

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libvdpau-dev
and got a 404.

I was able to download the drivers per your instructions but was not able to follow the next steps, starting with shutting down XBMC

Code:
xbmc@ubuntu:/usr/src$ sudo stop-xbmc-live
sudo: stop-xbmc-live: command not found
xbmc@ubuntu:/usr/src$ sudo chown +x NVIDIA-Linux-x86-275.09.07.run
chown: invalid user: `+x'

Oops made a mistake. I did chmod and started the install process.

IT WORKED! I have tried everything for the last two days and nothing worked but your solution. I didn't even do all of it. I just downloaded your drivers and ran them. I tried other driver packages as well and none of them worked but yours. THANK YOU!

Sad
sorry chmod +x not chown

and its sudo stop xbmc-live not as the typo hyphen was n wrong place

oopsy, I need some sleep.

corrected guide
sygyzy_nbr Wrote:IT WORKED! I have tried everything for the last two days and nothing worked but your solution. I didn't even do all of it. I just downloaded your drivers and ran them. I tried other driver packages as well and none of them worked but yours. THANK YOU!
Sad
Your welcome...

about the vdpau its
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-iquik/nvidia-vpau
then
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install libvdpau-dev libvdpau1

reboot

should be golden.
you can now upgarde both vdpu and video drivers form that ppa, a new batch just been cooked.
Great, will try this when I get home. Thanks for updating the thread!
Since I use those ppas to fix bugs and problems, I try to keep them updated as best as possible.

may as well have people who appreciate the work use them.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can't update nVidia drivers on XBMC Live Install0