Subtitles won't turn off
Currently watching From Paris With Love, and it's an mkv with hardcoded subtitles. How do I turn them off? I'm pretty sure they're causing xbmc to crash every ten minutes or so, and when I bring up the subtitles menu it just says "none" and "get more", but makes no difference. Is this a glitch or how do I fix it?

Also, if it isn't whats causing it to crash, what could be the culprit?

Edit: I should add, the subs don't show up on the lappy when I play it in vlc, so it's not the file...
You sure it's not crashing because of the Apple update notification? Look at the sticky for more info.

FYI, to turn off subtitle. While the video is play. Bring up the menu and go into the audio settings. You can disable subtitle and also make it so subtitle is disabled by default in the future.
"hardcoded subtitles" would imply subtitles that are burned into the video. If that is the case for you then you cannot turn them off. Not without photoshoppinh every frame of video, at least.
I think the crashing was probably due to scanning actually, as it stopped once I stopped updating the library. Also stopped the movie from constantly lagging out which was a big bonus!

@ned I guess hardcoded was the wrong word, I just meant that they're packaged into the mkv and not a separate subs file altogether, and so I can't turn it off. They don't show up on the computer, so I know it's not engrained into the image itself.

@dazex I tried doing that very thing, but the subtitles menu only has "none" where you choose the file, and then "find more", neither or which does anything, and I couldn't find any audio settings from the menu. You're talking about the one that you bring up by holding the center button right?
Btw I'm using confluence vertical if that makes any difference
Yup, the menu that shows up by holding the center button. There's an audio icon. Once you click on that icon, the audio settings should open up.

From within the audio settings, you will be able to select which subtitle track you want if the mkv contains more than one subtitle track. You can also disable the subtitle altogether. By default, new installation of XBMC has subtitle enabled for all movies. You turn it off, and then "set as default for all movies" if you want to make your current settings the default.

You should refrain from doing a library scan/update while a movie is playing. The CPU/GPU in the ATV2 won't be able to do both at the same time. It will likely crash your XBMC session as you have witnessed.
dazex Wrote:Yup, the menu that shows up by holding the center button. There's an audio icon. Once you click on that icon, the audio settings should open up.

From within the audio settings, you will be able to select which subtitle track you want if the mkv contains more than one subtitle track. You can also disable the subtitle altogether. By default, new installation of XBMC has subtitle enabled for all movies. You turn it off, and then "set as default for all movies" if you want to make your current settings the default.

You should refrain from doing a library scan/update while a movie is playing. The CPU/GPU in the ATV2 won't be able to do both at the same time. It will likely crash your XBMC session as you have witnessed.

Hm...well it sounds like we're talking about the same menu, but unless I'm blind the option to disable and set default is just not there? Unfortunately I'm not at home right now so I can't confirm until this evening. So to be sure we're talking about the same menu, it's the first one in the bunch of options, to the right of the play/skip/ffd controls, leftmost in the bottom right of the screen, and the icon is a little square with some lines in the bottom half? Sorry for the vagueness, I'm doing my best haha
Btw, rather than start another thread I'll just ask here. Is there any way to speed up navigating through menus, or is that a processor issue? It's smooth and nice on the atv2, but I do miss my PS3 navigating, where any scroll and folder open is virtually instant. Opening folders could be a network speed issue, but scrolling through several hundred movies would be nice to have sped up a bit, at least until rolling scroll is available!
If there would be such an option. Why wouldn't we enable it by default?Wink
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
chibwack Wrote:Btw, rather than start another thread I'll just ask here. Is there any way to speed up navigating through menus, or is that a processor issue? It's smooth and nice on the atv2, but I do miss my PS3 navigating, where any scroll and folder open is virtually instant. Opening folders could be a network speed issue, but scrolling through several hundred movies would be nice to have sped up a bit, at least until rolling scroll is available!

enable dirty regions. It's not enabled by default because there are some weird visual bugs, but nothing that impedes actual use.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Adv...regions.3E

Basically add or make the advancedsettings.xml file with:

Code:
<advancedsettings>
  <gui>    
    <algorithmdirtyregions>1</algorithmdirtyregions>
  </gui>
</advancedsettings>

SFTP it in as User:mobile (default password is alpine) and put it in

var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/userdata/
chibwack Wrote:So to be sure we're talking about the same menu, it's the first one in the bunch of options, to the right of the play/skip/ffd controls, leftmost in the bottom right of the screen, and the icon is a little square with some lines in the bottom half? Sorry for the vagueness, I'm doing my best haha
It should be the third icon. The icon looks like a speaker. It will say "Audio -Settings" in the window title.

The icon you're talking about is the XBMC subtitle add-on.
dazex Wrote:It should be the third icon. The icon looks like a speaker. It will say "Audio -Settings" in the window title.

The icon you're talking about is the XBMC subtitle add-on.

Ahh I see, I'll have to check it and Ned's post next time I'm at home, which could apparantly not be for a few days. Thanks for the tips!
Just a further question about this, if Subtitles are turned off via this method, which is what I have done, what if the movie has a section of foreign language in it that pops up a subtitle for a few sentences, does this setting stop that showing?
hi there forgive me if this is the wrong thread,
i have been using xbmc fine for months but i added snow white and the huntsman and for some reason it has subtitles, i have go into the menu and subtitles are off, i have played the mkv file through a secondary player and it doesnt have subtitles hard-coded to it, but only on xbmc does it play subtitles?

any ideas what else i can try??

many thanks
Go into the audio settings menu, not the subtitle downloader menu: see subtitles (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Subtitles won't turn off0